Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2016, 05:55   #1

Language barrier, help needed, wanting to repair Zodiac dinghy floor

Hi!

Noticed the dinghy is not keeping its inflation well in the floor section. An old Zodiac.

So did a Google search and found a YouTube video:
https://youtu.be/r9in1yI9if4

He is not speaking the British Elizabethan English we were taught in school.

At 2:13 I think he says what chemical is in the bucket he is subsequently using to clean the dinghy using a brush. Cannot figure out what he says, sounds like "fishing tune". Perhaps somebody who speaks better English can help?

Cheers
Bob666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:01   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Language barrier, help needed, wanting to repair Zodiac dinghy floor

To me it sounded like passitone which I'm guessing he was saying acetone? Acetone is a good solvent for cleaning a Hypalon dinghy. Is your zodiac Hypalon or PVC? Will make a huge difference in what glue, solvents and techniques you use to repair it.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:16   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

He's using acetone in a tuna can. I think the confusion comes from the way he runs the three words together and seems to put an "H" in front of the A.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:26   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes. He says 'to clean ...' a bit earlier, and at the mark he says 'acetone'.

Acetone is fine but I had more luck using two or three solvents in a row: say turps up first THEN acetone.

Always test the solvent on a patch of pvc/hypalon fabric - some solvents ... solve the dinghy ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:28   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I guess acetone is OK, but I have always been taught that it leaves a film, I am under the impression that Toluene is preferred for at least Hypalon?
Nor sure about PVC, would assume there are all kinds of solvents that would melt PVC
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:03   #6

Boat: Hylas 46

Our Zodiac floor (PVC) had parted like his in the video. After several failed attempts with Stabond, we followed that video and used the HH-66 he recommends. Still great after 3 years..highly recommend following that video if your dinghy is PVC (most Zodiacs are, I believe).

Chris
stgermain45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:40   #7

Thought he said "take a flame thrower and heat up the glue so that it melts". Could be wrong.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:40   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

I strongly suspect Toluene, which may be difficult to obtain. Got to be careful; PVC is attacked by several organic solvents.

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:32   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Yes. He says 'to clean ...' a bit earlier, and at the mark he says 'acetone'.

Acetone is fine but I had more luck using two or three solvents in a row: say turps up first THEN acetone.

Always test the solvent on a patch of pvc/hypalon fabric - some solvents ... solve the dinghy ;-)

b.
I think you mean dissolve the dinghy. Acetone is some nasty stuff when it comes to some plastics. Dries your hands out pretty good also.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 14:05   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I got toluene at the paint store as it was recommended by the glue manufacturer. Downside was I had to buy a whole gallon, needed maybe two ounces though

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 18:47   #11

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Toluene is also sold as nitro benzine--but any leftover makes an excellent epoxy-thinner for saturating timber. I have used it to thin epoxy resin mixtures. Add it about 1:3 after mixing SLOW HARDENER and appropriate amount of resin. THEN add the thinners or toluene after the resin and hardener has been mixed thoroughly.

This slow cure resin and solvent allows good penetration of the timber before it evaporates out leaving the timber part-saturated with resin. Follow up coats are necessary until the plywood or timber refuses to absorb any more. If the timber is in the weather, for the final coat after saturation is complete, use neat resin and lay glass cloth over it--then roll in the last coat and consolidate it thoroughly. Sometimes if more than one later of glass is used, peel ply is a good idea.

Always make a trial batch first to make sure the resin and hardener is compatible with Toluene--water-based epoxies are NOT COMPATIBLE.

I just threw away a floor and keel for a Zodiac and replaced it with foam sandwich solid floor--far superior performance, but not cheap--and Zodiac is now a RIB.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 20:30   #12

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

metho works on pvc or hypalon/glue with bostik seal-n-flex 1 slow cure/clean up with mineral turpentine /assemble with duct tape leave tape on till it wears off/
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 18:23   #13

Boat: Pearson 30

If we are looking at the same video, he used acetone or second choice alcohol, to remove old glue. Then use sandpaper to rough up the area to be glued Then apply HH66 available from Sailrite . I just repaired the bottom of my zodiac with this method and so far so good.
Sailon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 04:02   #14

Update on this. Our dinghy is a
Zodiac C285 LR

Read the manual from A to Z and no information as to whether it is made from PVC or Hypalon. The original receipt is long gone.

I noticed a hissing sound from one of the dinghy floor valves. I believe one of those two valves goes to the keel and the other one to the rest of the floor. After a few days after pumping the two valves, the floor of the dinghy goes soft. So could be valve-related, not a leak in the PVC/Hypalon (whichever I got).

Curiously, in the manual, it states "...you should have an Access manometer...if you don't (I don't, just a foot pump), pump until it gets tough to pump more air".

Hard to judge if it gets hard to pump, I don't think so, but I stopped when it "seemed" full "enough".

Dropped an email to the nearest retailer of Zodiac, a hunting and fishing store in the small town nearby "...please order the spare part and assembling instructions". We'll see if I'll get the valve and mounting instructions, eventually.

Cheers
Old 17-08-2016, 10:47   #15

It's the floor leaking, either the actual floor, or the valve. I ruled out the keel, as it keeps the air for a long time, as the pontoons do.

Pics:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byb...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byb...ew?usp=sharing

I suppose I have to repair (if the PVC/Hypalon is leaking somewhere) it from above as underneath there is a cover for both the keel and the floor inflatable elements.

Next step is to try soap water on it, once entirely inflated.

I got it into planing with my oldest daugther the other day, but not with another adult as well, however it seems to plane easier when you tilt the outboard up as much as possible. Does that not make the engine a bit weaker actually? I know you get a better profile once you get into planing, but isn't it harder to get there in the first place?

I got a 40 hp motorboat also, it is stronger and goes into planing easier when the tilt is down + fully loaded boat. But a bit faster top speed when the tilt is all the way up, however useless if you try wakeboarding behind it, better with the tilt down.

6 hp Suzuki 4-stroke in the dinghy.

Cheers

Tags
dinghy, zodiac