Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2019, 04:47   #31

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Re: Land Dinghies -- Electric Bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
I have been considering electric transportation for some time including skateboards and scooters this is my choice.https://youtu.be/2B9R1brjCPcAttachment 193524Attachment 193525
PS it's the same exact price as the folding bicycle I currently own.
Other than the location of the battery, it looks identical to the Rad Mini, of which we have two.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:13   #32

Why would you want an electric bike when you can have an electric scooter thats much better!! and maybe much faster!! and maybe goes further!!

Firstly you have to get the right one, mine has air 10" tyres, does 40-50kms on one charge and in speed 3, does 47kmh. It folds too of course. Google Wizzard 2.5. or sxt scooter.

Now, think how much easier this is to put in the dinghy than a folding bike.

Ok so you want to argue with me about how much food you can bring back etc etc.
So make 2 trips, it really comes into its own if the way to the shops is a little hilly and it even more comes into its own when you just want to go to the industrial center to get another bolt 30 mins before everything shuts on Saturday.

(ps, don't forget to reply to my previous post on electrifying Bromptons if you have any experience)
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:23   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Land Dinghies -- Electric Bike?

Scooters are popular here in Coimbra, Portugal..
There are various spots around the city where they stand in ranks for public use.. just feed a coin into the slot and away you go..
Leave it on the pavement when you get where you want for the next user or, its collected in the evening and charged up for the next day.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:41   #34

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
FWIW, I decided against trying to bring any electrified transport on the boat. I've been riding my Jetstream a lot, and I realized that I don't really need the electrification even going to business meetings. At the same time, I realized how important the weight is, for being able to manhandle and store the device, in the dinghy, in the lazarette, or up the stairwell in a land dwelling.

I got to this note before chiming in... but those would have been my points, too.

For casual bicycle transport, I usually also prefer an internal hub (don't care much about a bazillion gears), only a front suspension (so the tail is rigid and it's easier to mount a serious load-bearing rack), and maybe even a non-folder if at all feasible (since those are the parts on ours that seem to rust fastest).

I think I'd also prefer a belt drive, instead of chain, but not enough to swap out what we've got now.

-Chris
Old 11-06-2019, 18:40   #35

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
Why would you want an electric bike when you can have an electric scooter thats much better!! and maybe much faster!! and maybe goes further!!

Firstly you have to get the right one, mine has air 10" tyres, does 40-50kms on one charge and in speed 3, does 47kmh. It folds too of course. Google Wizzard 2.5. or sxt scooter.

Now, think how much easier this is to put in the dinghy than a folding bike.

Ok so you want to argue with me about how much food you can bring back etc etc.
So make 2 trips, it really comes into its own if the way to the shops is a little hilly and it even more comes into its own when you just want to go to the industrial center to get another bolt 30 mins before everything shuts on Saturday.

(ps, don't forget to reply to my previous post on electrifying Bromptons if you have any experience)
As someone who's owned a gas powered scooter I totally understand the benefits, it actually is better at carrying a propane cylinder or batteries etc. because I could put it by my feet actually increasing stability. the drawbacks. I didn't feel comfortable going 30 miles an hour on it. It was only good on smooth roads. I was always worried about police, having had several encounters on it, in my opinion an electric bike is more stealth. To go long distances it is much more comfortable to be on the bike I showed. with a bike you can get as much or as little exercise as you want.And last but not least you can increase your range by pedaling.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 18:46   #36

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

Def way way beyond bringing aboard, but I'm finally getting close to finishing my hyper powered e bike. It's a Qulbix Q76R. 84V, running a 5kw hub motor that is being driven by a 15kW controller. It's a little insane honestly.

First time I rode it, it broke the dropouts and the rear wheel passed me doing 30 mph lol

The battery is 240 Samsung 25R 18650 cells. Best I can figure it's a 60 mph+ ebike, closer to a motorcycle really. I bought the frame and swingarm and custom built everything else.

sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 22:06   #37

Boat: Island Packet 40

Lazy buggers, pedaling is good exercise.

I have had a shaft drive bike with an 8 speed Shimano hub and I would not go back to a chain driven bike again. Might go for a belt drive if shaft was not available though.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:31   #38

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I have had a shaft drive bike ...

Link?

I had a shaft drive motorcycle, way back when... worked well.

-Chris
Old 12-06-2019, 09:29   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
. . .For casual bicycle transport, I usually also prefer an internal hub (don't care much about a bazillion gears), only a front suspension (so the tail is rigid and it's easier to mount a serious load-bearing rack), . .

Internal hubs are the best thing since sliced bread. I have a SRAM Dual Drive on my Jetstream, which combines a 3 speed internal hub with 9 speed derailleur, giving 27 gears. I want the 27 gears because I ride far and sometimes hard, but the derailleur is a PITA on a folding bike, easy to bend and always in the way and exposed when you're trying to store the bike. I hate that, and I also hate getting grease from the chain on my business clothes when the chain comes off , because the derailleur got bent for the 20th time getting the bike out of the lazarette

The best setup would be a Rohloff with all the gears internal (14 speeds!), and no derailleur, and belt drive. Expensive but that would be tarts for a boat bike. I could convert my Jetstream to this setup -- maybe a winter project.

Other than the inherent issues with the derailleur, the SRAM Dual Drive is a very nice setup indeed. Middle gear on the hub is direct drive so 100% efficient. You can shift the hub even standing still, so if you realize you need a lower gear, you've got it. The shifters are superb. But oh, for a Rohloff . . .
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 23:55   #40

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Link?

I had a shaft drive motorcycle, way back when... worked well.

-Chris
I went looking for the site for mine and could not find it again but if you Google "shaft drive push bikes" pages of images come up.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 00:46   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

The best setup would be a Rohloff with all the gears internal (14 speeds!), and no derailleur, and belt drive. Expensive but that would be tarts for a boat bike. I could convert my Jetstream to this setup -- maybe a winter project.
I love belt drives and the Rohloff is a nice piece of kit but not cheap, another option is the Enviolo Nuvinci CVP hub.
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 03:59   #42

Another thought....
Why would anyone these days buy a bike with a chain when a silent oil free gates belt can be used!

A single speed folding with gates belt and electric motor would be a very good boat bike...maybe not perfect for all conditions but close enough.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 04:52   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

It's not surprising that electric scooters are becoming invitations to emergency room visits. The center of gravity is way high, your contact with them when you hit a bump is minimal, and the small wheels get tripped by small pot holes. None of these conveyances is really safe, but there are reasons to prefer a bike.
Old 18-06-2019, 06:49   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
Another thought....
Why would anyone these days buy a bike with a chain when a silent oil free gates belt can be used!

A single speed folding with gates belt and electric motor would be a very good boat bike...maybe not perfect for all conditions but close enough.

Yes, but where do you get one? Besides with the Nuvinci hub, your single speed becomes a three speed, and that is usually enough.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 14:30   #45

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

I remember when Segways came out and were being touted as being the future of personal transport. In Spain it seems like electric scooters are.

I've used mine almost exclusively since I bought it. I can carry as much, if not more shopping than I could when using my more expensive Birdy bike.

Just the other day I did 6km round trip with a 13kg gas cylinder. I couldn't have done that on my bike.

I've just got to Portugal now, so I guess I'll see how useful it is here.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric