Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2016, 08:51   #1

Boat: Beneteau OC 41
Jerry Cans - What Are the Best

I need to buy jerry cans. Any recommendations as to brand. Would I be out of my mind to buy Jerry-brand steel cans? 5 Gallon (20 Liter) (Red) Steel Wavian Jerry Can (Spout Included) – Jerry Can
robgrant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:06   #2

Re: Jerry Cans - What Are the Best

I would certainly be worried about metal cans. If you lash them to the deck like most people, I think they will start to rust immediately and stain your deck. I would go with plastic.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:09   #3

I'm surprised they even make steel fuel jugs anymore. For a marine environment, no I wouldn't want them leaving rust marks as the galvanization fails. I would go with your standard plastic jugs and plan on replacing them ever 3-5yrs when they start to show signs of age.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I'm surprised they even make steel fuel jugs anymore. For a marine environment, no I wouldn't want them leaving rust marks as the galvanization fails. I would go with your standard plastic jugs and plan on replacing them ever 3-5yrs when they start to show signs of age.
No question, it sounds crazy. What prompted me to entertain such a whacky notion is an article I read complaining about the CARB jerry cans. One Man’s Quest for Gas Cans that Don’t Suck | GAD's Ramblings
Old 11-03-2016, 09:27   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

We have these http://mil.sceptermilitary.com/fuel_containers and think they're great. We also have some other ones with the wacky US EPA no spill spout (of course it always spills if you try to use it!), not so good.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
We have these and think they're great. We also have some other ones with the wacky US EPA no spill spout (of course it always spills if you try to use it!), not so good.
Yes, there's definitely some irony there ;-) Are you keeping your steel cans on deck and if so, are they holding up well? I would guess they're a bit heavier than the plastic cans; is that an issue?
Old 11-03-2016, 09:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgrant1 View Post
No question, it sounds crazy. What prompted me to entertain such a whacky notion is an article I read complaining about the CARB jerry cans. One Man’s Quest for Gas Cans that Don’t Suck | GAD's Ramblings
The new fuel cans are a real PITA from what I have read. Thankfully, I have enough old ones to meet my needs. I certainly would not have metal cans, on or off, a boat.

I have read of solutions on the Internet on how to fix the new cans. I think there are also caps available on Amazon. Anyway, a search on the Internet should find a solution since I have read instructions on how to modify some of the cans to get them to work correctly.

Good luck,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:38   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Yes, there's definitely some irony there ;-) Are you keeping your steel cans on deck and if so, are they holding up well? I would guess they're a bit heavier than the plastic cans; is that an issue?
For some reason my post missed the link: http://mil.sceptermilitary.com/fuel_containers

Ours are plastic that the military uses. We got them from someone doing surplus at a military base. I don't know if you can get the Scepter military ones in the USA retail or not.

We don't have metal cans aboard. We do happen to have some mid-80's era metal jerry cans that we used with our car when exploring Mexico by car. Kinda hard to go far when you're driving a car with only a 200 mile tank range. Anyway, those were great for the car but the plastic ones are much better for car and boat IMO.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:41   #9
Marine Service Provider

We have some old fuel spouts that we retrofitted our CARB/EPA compliant cans with. We also tend to just use one of those hoses with the brass fitting and glass ball that you jiggle a bit to transfer the fuel. Here's a video of the kind:
Old 11-03-2016, 09:42   #10

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
I need to buy jerry cans. Any recommendations as to brand. Would I be out of my mind to buy Jerry-brand steel cans? 5 Gallon (20 Liter) (Red) Steel Wavian Jerry Can (Spout Included) – Jerry Can
For what purpose?
The colors have different reactions to the thing that destroys them - UV.
The blue one for water lasts perhaps a few months, but they can be stored in a locker, but I used to buy the large bottles they sell at the supermarkets for drinking water in long passages. The yellow (diesel) and red (gas) last much longer if you are careful when buying.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:42   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
The new fuel cans are a real PITA from what I have read. Thankfully, I have enough old ones to meet my needs. I certainly would not have metal cans, on or off, a boat.

I have read of solutions on the Internet on how to fix the new cans. I think there are also caps available on Amazon. Anyway, a search on the Internet should find a solution since I have read instructions on how to modify some of the cans to get them to work correctly.

Good luck,
Dan
Thanks, Dan; I don't think I can live with the shame of using a metal can on my boat deck! I may try this instead: https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.h...&f=17&t=666525
Old 11-03-2016, 10:23   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
For what purpose?
The colors have different reactions to the thing that destroys them - UV.
The blue one for water lasts perhaps a few months, but they can be stored in a locker, but I used to buy the large bottles they sell at the supermarkets for drinking water in long passages. The yellow (diesel) and red (gas) last much longer if you are careful when buying.
Thanks. My primary use would be diesel (yellow) with some gas (red) for dinghy and portable generator (if I get one, but that's another thread). Your idea for water makes sense to me; so no jerry can for water (blue).
Old 11-03-2016, 10:26   #13

Quote:
We have some old fuel spouts that we retrofitted our CARB/EPA compliant cans with. We also tend to just use one of those hoses with the brass fitting and glass ball that you jiggle a bit to transfer the fuel. Here's a video of the kind:
Yes, I've seen recommendations for the super siphon; looks like it beats trying to pour from the cans.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:37   #14

Quote:
For some reason my post missed the link: Fuel Canisters - Scepter Military - Military

Ours are plastic that the military uses. We got them from someone doing surplus at a military base. I don't know if you can get the Scepter military ones in the USA retail or not.

We don't have metal cans aboard. We do happen to have some mid-80's era metal jerry cans that we used with our car when exploring Mexico by car. Kinda hard to go far when you're driving a car with only a 200 mile tank range. Anyway, those were great for the car but the plastic ones are much better for car and boat IMO.
Yes, looks like a no-go in the U.S. Might go to Canada for them if I can find a distributor nearby.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:38   #15
SKI

Boat: none yet

The super siphon's are the ticket. It's a major pain trying to pour from a jerry can into a funnel with any breeze. You end up with as much fuel on deck as in the funnel. Also it makes fueling a one person job. Nobody holding the funnel blocking the wind and one person trying to pour a full 5-6 gallon can. Their great pieces. Wish I'd invented them!!!
SKI is offline   Reply With Quote