Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2016, 10:57   #61

Boat: Beneteau OC 41
Re: Jerry Cans - What Are the Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
The best can is now made my Midwest ($9.99 each). It has a handle on the side and the top. You can make a board to attach to your stantions with U bolts and then use a router to route slits to thread 1-1/2 inch nylon webbing through and run over the top and around the sides. Use clip type plastic connectors. This will hold your cans in place along the rail.Attachment 120531Attachment 120532

Throw away the spout and get some replacement caps from Amazon. Use the super siphon to transfer fuel. You can transfer 5 gallons with the super siphon in 1 minute, 40 seconds with no mess.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J, Are these the caps you're referencing? http://www.amazon.com/Gas-Can-Cap-Re...61A7S2DB1SQ5FC
robgrant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 15:06   #62

Lightbulb Re: Jerry Cans - What Are the Best

Plastic ones will crack with continuous motion/ vibration I have never had any success with them ,The motion and jarring and expansion and contraction will split them.
Use Lined metal ones then get your self some closed cell foam put the foam between the drums and what you are lashing them to to stop rubbing,at least then when the time comes to use the fuel it will be there.
Have you thought of fuel bladders? you can have them made to order, you can even tow them behind. The military use them . You just have a fitting made to suit a small electric pump for evacuation of the fuel , when they are empty you can lay them on the floor if space is an issue. Where are you? ie Country?
Barney21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 16:17   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgrant1 View Post
I need to buy jerry cans. Any recommendations as to brand. Would I be out of my mind to buy Jerry-brand steel cans? 5 Gallon (20 Liter) (Red) Steel Wavian Jerry Can (Spout Included) – Jerry Can
I wonder if any one has tried these collapsible fuel containers? I like the idea of fitting them into odd spaces under bunks etc. Being able to store them easily when empty would be the best feature.
So any owners out there?
Olddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 16:18   #64

20 Litre Collapsible Jerry Can - Liquid Containment Bladders & Liners ? Fuel, Water, Petrol, Diesel, Water Storage
Whoops
Olddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 16:37   #65

I didnt think anyone would buy the old style steel Jerry Can , I am not sure but I have a feeling they are not sold in Auz. You must buy the ones with the locking pin across the top of the lid this stops the lid from coming open. I cannot imagine someone maybe 1000ks from land and they have their emergency fuel in a plastic can they bought for $20 with a spare lid for $7.50 come on guys ,are you looking to create an emergency.
Here is a Link to an Australian company who manufacture fuel bladders to requirement. Just by the way you dont need a pump to transfer fuel if you can arrange it so you can put your foot on it, how easy is that?
FlexiMake
Barney21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 16:50   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney21 View Post
I didn't think anyone would buy the old style steel Jerry Can
Yuk, horrible things. The genuine ex mil ones will be old and the cap seal shot. Also they came with a layer of red paint inside them which eventually flakes off. Copies won't have the mil external paint scheme so will rust like mad on a yacht.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 16:56   #67

Boat: Able 50

Just a small warning. Avoid this shape of can because they cannot handle heat. In the tropics the bottom and sides pop out to a rounded shape making them difficult to stow on deck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	303058_l.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	120557

The military shaped ones are the best and they are legal in Rhode Island if any of you are in the area. Ace Hardware stock them in the lawnmower section.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 17:11   #68

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I sailed around the world with 10 plastic jerry jugs, and for the most part they did a good job. No catastrophes or major spills.

They were a big help on long passages through windless seas.

I also carried 200 liters in inflatable tanks in cockpit lockers. They carried a lot of fuel, but transferring the fuel with a portable pump was always messy. I was always glad to have the fuel on long passages, but I dreaded making the fuel transfer.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 17:13   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
BTW, it should be spelled with a G, Gerry Can. The name comes from the Brit's nickname Gerry for the Germans. The German fuel storage cans supplied to Rommel in the African Campaign were way better than those the Brit's had. The Brits used thin metal fuel cans that were prone to failure when subjected to transport across the North African Desert. The German ones were the heavy duty pattern we are familiar with and were copied by the Brits and US. The Brits scoured the desert looking for abandoned German Cans they could find to have safe storage during the desert war.
Jerrycan or jerrican are the correct spellings as is Jerry being the most widely accepted spelling for the nickname for Germans during the war.

Jerrican | Definition of Jerrican by Merriam-Webster

The German original is an example of great industrial design that has been widely copied. Something missing in most of the modern plastic versions is the innovative three-handled design.

This feature allowed for full cans to be efficiently handed off during a bucket brigade, allowed a single full can to be easily carried by an individual using the central handle, or allowed an individual to grasp two empty cans with a single hand so that one person could carry four cans at once.

If ever I am offered assistance when carrying two full cans I always graciously deny it. So much easier to carry two full cans than just one in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	120564  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 18:19   #70

These are the cans to look for. They are not sold everywhere so finding one could take a while. Amazon stock them but only with those awful eco caps so you will have to buy separate regular style caps.

Name:   03711_d520_200.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  26.2 KB
Old 12-03-2016, 19:09   #71

Boat: Sea Ray,SundancerDA,30

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
These are the cans to look for. They are not sold everywhere so finding one could take a while. Amazon stock them but only with those awful eco caps so you will have to buy separate regular style caps.

Attachment 120571
I used this style nozzel and after a yr it started to leak bad. never use them again.
CC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 19:16   #72

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

Robgrant1: You get two caps,for $7.95, not one. I thought the same thing but read the fine print!

J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 19:40   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC45 View Post
I used this style nozzel and after a yr it started to leak bad. never use them again.
Try the Amazon replacements which are a different shape.
Old 13-03-2016, 04:36   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddave View Post
I wonder if any one has tried these collapsible fuel containers? I like the idea of fitting them into odd spaces under bunks etc. Being able to store them easily when empty would be the best feature.
So any owners out there?
Yes, I like that idea too. Bring on the reviews!
Old 13-03-2016, 04:41   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
Robgrant1: You get two caps,for $7.95, not one. I thought the same thing but read the fine print!

You know I think I realized that at one point, but then it slipped from the grasp of my tiny pea brain.