Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2015, 16:57   #1

Issues with Yahama F6, 6HP, fuel cock aka fuel selector

I was heading into shore today after inflating the dink, hooked up the yahama f6, and the aux tank. As I was about half way there the engine quit. Checked my fuel line, made certain vent was open, primed her again, switched to the inboard tank, primed her, all to no avail. I rowed back to the mother ship and went about troubleshooting. If the fuel is not the culprit, I don't think it is, I have doubts that the fuel cock/selector is working. There is little to no resistance when turning it from any of the three positions. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any ideas on how I go about fixing this on my own? I am in Georgetown, Bahamas so there are shops, I just prefer to save the money and tomorrow is Sunday anyhow. Thanks all in advance!
Strider34c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 05:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Issues with Yahama F6, 6HP, fuel cock aka fuel selector

Could you inadvertently selected the "closed" position?
The fuel cock has 3 positions: the closed position, built-in fuel tank position, and portable fuel tank position.
Pages 19 - 20 ➥ http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/s...rrent_1800.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 06:03   #3

I moved the fuel cock to all of the correct positions while trying to troubleshoot, the thing is that there was no resistance, like the selector wasn't truly "selecting".
Old 18-10-2015, 06:49   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

If you can't get it going give Rodney on the pumpout boat a shout. He is very good at fixing outboards and he doesn't charge an arm and a leg.
Old 18-10-2015, 07:01   #5

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse

You could also just remove the valve and jumper out temporarily to test. A pen case can be used to connect the two hoses outside of the valve. Just don't leave it permanent.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 11:17   #6

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider34c View Post
I moved the fuel cock to all of the correct positions while trying to troubleshoot, the thing is that there was no resistance, like the selector wasn't truly "selecting".
I have a similar yamaha 4. There is a lot of resistance in moving the fuel selector. Takes an effort to move. My guess is the plastic lever part has come free of its shaft, and you are stuck in OFF. You can run the engine for a couple minutes on the fuel left in the carb from previous use. I would examine the selector switch...even pull it off if possible, then rotate the shaft with pliers manually.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 09:16   #7

Update in the event others have issues. Fuel selector was broken. Bypassed it to run fuel directly from local tank to carburetor. Which ended up working out as my external tank was swiped out of the dink anyhow...

Tags
fuel