Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2020, 19:15   #1

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Is there a reasonably priced windvane?

Yes there is!
I used to watch the windvane ads in this forum like a hawk. My handle is on just about every windvane post - of any kind. Several units came up and got sold, most of time rather quickly. And I didn’t buy. Too risky, and asking price too high.

A new unit would sell for upwards of $5K, and second hand for about half of that, not counting the (potential) surprise costs for installation – always a risk. A lot of people got lucky and purchased used ones successfully, but I was never able to make a risky decision quick enough before they were snapped.

I am now thankfully out of the market. I found a unit that is well made, all stock stainless, strong and very reasonable. Even with shipping and duty, it came to me at a fraction of the cost of the others.

It is installed now and I haven’t tried on the water, but I have plenty of confidence and good references, it has circunavigated, I’m not worried. I’ll post here to let you know how it goes once I’m back on the water.

It is made in Estonia, the brand is Windy (Google it). The owner is very helpfull and always in touch during the process and after the sale. I am not attached with the owner or the manufacturing company in any way, just satisfied with the product and I am posting to share the information.

The pictures below are my unit prior to shipment from Europe and after installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prior to shipment.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	228276   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201008_114329.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	428.1 KB
ID:	228277  

SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 19:23   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Is there a reasonably priced windvane?

Well? Don't hold us in suspense! How much was it?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 20:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Well? Don't hold us in suspense! How much was it?
Aha!
With shipping and duty $2,600 CAD - just a bit over $2K US. The unit sells for 1,200EUR, the prices are on their website - https://windyselfsteering.com/selfsteering/.
Old 08-12-2020, 19:09   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

It’ll be interesting to see how it performs offshore. Our boats are nearly indistinguishable at a distance. The underwater profile favored by both Alberg and Luders share a common heritage.
I have a Monitor and in my experience offshore it does a fabulous job in five knots to fifty knots plus. As a singlehander a solid and reliable wind vane self steering unit is invaluable.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 19:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
It’ll be interesting to see how it performs offshore. Our boats are nearly indistinguishable at a distance. The underwater profile favored by both Alberg and Luders share a common heritage.
I have a Monitor and in my experience offshore it does a fabulous job in five knots to fifty knots plus. As a singlehander a solid and reliable wind vane self steering unit is invaluable.
It has many crossings and a circunavigation already to its name, I am looking forward to using it. You are right and I would not venture anywhere without a reliable windvane.
Old 10-12-2020, 19:45   #6

Which stainless alloy it is it made out of and all parts from the same alloy?
scherzoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 16:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherzoja View Post
Which stainless alloy it is it made out of and all parts from the same alloy?
I ssume its 304, I really never asked because it doesn't matter to me.
My previous windvane (Ratclife) was made out of stock 304 - it was good for over 30K miles and 15 years until I sold the boat, probably still alive today.

Everything is stainless, except for the delrin bushings, vane, paddle and the small bronze sheave below.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_2439-1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	228487  
Old 04-08-2021, 12:42   #8

Reviving this post for a follow up and post installation review.

Since installing, which was much easier than anticipated, I was able to do several "test runs" with the windvane.
Its a very nice piece of kit, simple, well made, good on most points of sail, just like all windvanes. I have not tested it on a run, but I am not holding my breath, not even I can do it properly..... I am still optimizing the control lines and testing different configurations to ensure the least friction for a prompt wheel response. At the very bottom of the picture below, you may be able to see the 1/8 Amsteel blue control line to the wheel.
All windvanes need a period of adaptation after installation, and this is no different, and like all of them, this one only needs a balanced sail configuration and 5 or more knots of wind, it drives without any complaints.
Knowing its history and although I only partially tested it, I am very satisfied and highly recommend it - as a disclaimer, I am not related in any way with the business, just a satified customer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210722_110132_03.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	438.3 KB
ID:	243258  
Old 04-08-2021, 14:29   #9

THANK YOU for your follow-up, Tatia!

It's one of the hardest things about this Forum: not knowing how things turned out.

Gratefully,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 16:04   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, SVTatia,

If it's not happy off the wind, try using just the headsail with it. We have lots of ocean miles on a fin keeler, with an auxiliary rudder type wind vane, but most of that was done wing and wing, with the headsail poled out and the main out and prevented....well off the wind, sometimes DDW.

Ann
Old 04-08-2021, 16:58   #11

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

This windvane apparently works based on the reports from happy customers however I am skeptical of several of the engineering aspects.
  1. The thin stainless wire and the bronze wheel look susceptible to breakage and wear
  2. The plastic ring and pinion gears which translate the horizontal motion into rotation of the water oar also look fragile.
  3. The single, small footprint, mounting area looks like it could get quite a lot of stress on it
  4. The thin, unsupported, spars which carry the steering rope loads also look breakable.
  5. It is apparently not possible for the water oar to "release" if struck by a floating object, (it cannot swing aft)

I've a few miles under harsh conditions with my Monitor and have had occasion to learn the hard way about the loads which occur when trying to steer a yacht in boisterous conditions. Those loads break things.
Old 04-08-2021, 17:03   #12

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
I ssume its 304, I really never asked because it doesn't matter to me.
My previous windvane (Ratclife) was made out of stock 304 - it was good for over 30K miles and 15 years until I sold the boat, probably still alive today.

Everything is stainless, except for the delrin bushings, vane, paddle and the small bronze sheave below.
I believe that that there is a plastic ring and pinion gear inside the stainless cover at the pivot point of the swing arm.
Old 04-08-2021, 17:18   #13

Thank you for the info . What kind of boat is she . Where are you going to travel to. Last December I sailed from Rhode Island to stuart FL . First trip for the both of us.. me and a friend
joetrotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:13   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hi, SVTatia,

If it's not happy off the wind, try using just the headsail with it. We have lots of ocean miles on a fin keeler, with an auxiliary rudder type wind vane, but most of that was done wing and wing, with the headsail poled out and the main out and prevented....well off the wind, sometimes DDW.

Ann
Thank you Ann, I will try it wing and wing one day and see how it steers, but I tend to bring the wind a bit on the quarter whenever possible to minimize the rolling - its pretty hard on my old leg muscles. A cruising spinnaker is on my list for those light wind days and from behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
This windvane apparently works based on the reports from happy customers however I am skeptical of several of the engineering aspects.
  1. The thin stainless wire and the bronze wheel look susceptible to breakage and wear
  2. The plastic ring and pinion gears which translate the horizontal motion into rotation of the water oar also look fragile.
  3. The single, small footprint, mounting area looks like it could get quite a lot of stress on it
  4. The thin, unsupported, spars which carry the steering rope loads also look breakable.
  5. It is apparently not possible for the water oar to "release" if struck by a floating object, (it cannot swing aft)

I've a few miles under harsh conditions with my Monitor and have had occasion to learn the hard way about the loads which occur when trying to steer a yacht in boisterous conditions. Those loads break things.
I have not met anyone who provided a bad review of their windvane specially after shelling out thousands of boat bucks.

Wingsail, ALL windvanes work well based on reports from happy customers....
Of course you are totally biased on your Monitor, and you should be, its a good and reliable piece of equipment and it works, right?
I'll avoid comparing windvanes for obvious reasons, they are all somewhat unique, mostly efficient, reliable and work as they should. Thanks for your opinion and the analysis based on pictures, but I agree to none, since I know its history and by having extensive experience sailing with a windvane, I trust the engineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetrotta View Post
Thank you for the info . What kind of boat is she . Where are you going to travel to. Last December I sailed from Rhode Island to stuart FL . First trip for the both of us.. me and a friend
Joe, the boat is an Allied Luders 33, built in 1967. I am planning to retun to long distance cruising in the immediate future. I hope your trip to Florida was uneventfull and fun, perhaps you'll keep going further south?
Old 05-08-2021, 08:32   #15

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410

The oar on the unit does flip up if struck, look closely, single bolt.
The mount is not under stress, most all modern windvanes use that small footprint except monitor/aries, which is most likely only due to its older design.
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price, wind, windvane