Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2018, 09:45   #1

Inflation valves issue?

Hi,

I recently inflated the Aqua Dutch Hypalon air floor dinghy that came with my new sailboat when I got a deal on a Torqueedo electric outboard. I love it and it's working great. It came with a 12 volt pump to inflate the dinghy and the high pressure floor.

The issue I had was that upon filling a tube, the air would start escaping as soon as I took the hose off. After a few attempts, I got fast enough to get the plug in before it lost much air, but I assumed the valve would seal automatically with a push pin to deflate like a car tire setup. Is there a problem with my dinghy or is it operating as designed? Is there a fix? I can see spring loaded pins in the valves, they just don't seem to do anything. Any help/info would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Paul.
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 10:10   #2

Re: Inflation valves issue?

Often sand etc can get in the valve flapper. One grain will cause a leak. Not sure the best way to get it out. a fresh water rinse may help but you dont want to get much water inside the tube....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 12:11   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Avon D560 18'
Re: Inflation valves issue?

Push in with your fingertip and turn.

The valves can be locked open if you push and turn to deflate for storage. Push and turn the opposite direction to "pop out" the valve, to activate the check valve so air doesn't come rushing out.

Pretty much all modern air valves are this way.