Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2019, 06:35   #1

Boat: Taswell 49
Inflatable tube sealant & liquid rubber. What first ?

I have a hypalon AB 9' inflatable with some fabric showing and slowing leaking. I'm considering an interior tube sealant and spot application of liquid rubber on the exposed fabric. I read where the tube sealant can be messy at the slow leaks (sealant oozing through the leaks). Lead me to believe that maybe the liquid rubber should be applied first but maybe that will bubble and not adhere. Is there anybody with experience with this repair that can comment.
Thank you
mobern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:42   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Inflatable tube sealant & liquid rubber. What first ?

Chasing small leaks in a RIB when the fabric is dying is a lesson in frustration. Been there, bought a boat with a replaceable inflated collar. I hate to ran on your parade, but I really doubt that you will reach long term success by any means.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:37   #3

Boat: Tayana FD-12

I have a simmilar problem. On my list of things to do is sew up a sunbrella based cover. But before I do that I have what I belive is 1 small pin hole and a bunch of places where fabric is exposed. I was washing it yesterday and it made me think of putting liquid rubber coating on the tubes. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190707_181535.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	195554
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:27   #4
kcj

Boat: Lagoon 470, ex corsair f31

I use island marine products: sealant and liquid rubber. My protocol (from talking with manuf) is 1. Patch major holes, 2. Use sealant to close smaller ones, and 3. When dink holds air, paint sun worn areas with liquid rubber.

Per manuf, older dinks may require resealing every year as new leaks develop. But given that a replacement dink is north of 4K, it is worth it.

I found blowing the sealant in using a shop vac to be more effective, (and convenient). Then deflate and reiniflate a few times with shop vac. Hi air flow supposedly is more effective in getting sealant airborne to reach any holes. And dink does not have to be turned over. Manuf said this is the approached used by big military inflatables for years...

Just got done with my second annual treatment...happy so far..
Good luck
kcj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inflatable, sealant