Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2007, 04:12   #1

Boat: Laguna 26
Inflatable Repair Question

I have a Mercury pvc inflatable that I need to reglue the areas where the transom attaches and a few other places. No holes just the attachments pulling away from the tubes. I have the glue what do I need to clean it with and should I glue it inflated or deflated?
TX Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:00   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
After roughening the patch & hull (to provide "tooth"), clean the patch & hull with MEK. Glue while deflated.

Inflatable Boat Basic Repair Information and Procedures:

PVC Fabric
inflatable boat repair information and procedures about gluing and fabrics

Hypalon Fabric

Read these general repair tips before starting

Read this overview of fabric types before starting
inflatable boat fabric and material information

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:25   #3

Boat: Bristol 43.3, Esconditas
Send a message via Skype™ to Esconditas
I have a Hypalon dink that is ten years old. I get leaks in the seams and on areas that rub (bow and bottom). I have tried diffrent patch kits and glues, followed directions, cleaned, on and on and on... Nothing worked well all the time, untill I discovered 3M 5200.

Clean up the area to be patched, cut a patch to cover the hole, apply 5200, stick it on, wet it down and in about 24 hours the hole is fixed..

No, it dosen't look good, it only works... God bless 5200... oh, and duct tape!
Esconditas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 14:45   #4
cruiser

Inflatable repair

I tried superglue on Achilles material. It tore the surface off the material rather than let go.
The same is true of superglue for glueing innertube patches on gumboots. I have ones which were superglued in 1995 and the soles wore out before the superglue let go.It never did .
It can now be found in dollar stores for 4 tubes for $1 or $1.50.
I don' t think you'll have the same success with anything else.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2007, 02:52   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Cyanoacrylate Adhesives (methyl-2-cyanoacrylate, like “Crazy Glue”®, “Super Glue”®, & etc.) polymerise within seconds, due to the humidity in the air and on the mating parts. Due to this very fast setting time, they are usually reserved for bonding relatively small parts - or “pinholes”.
Unfortunately, low temperatures cause cyanoacrylate to become brittle.
Notwithstanding, Like Brent, I’ve had success using “Crazy Glue”® on both Hypalon & PVC.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 09:31   #6

Boat: 2006 Island Packet 440
Has anyone tried SLiME or SealTite (tire puncture repair fluids) to plug up the pin holes on their Hypalon boat? I've emailed both companies to ask. SLiME doesn't recommend it because of the lack of rotational force (like a tire spinning) to distribute the fluid throughout the inner surface of the tire.
LastMango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:34   #7

Boat: Defever 41 "Bear Holiday"
Send a message via Skype™ to hanschristian38
Sealant Kit???

I thought I would revive this old thread to see if anyone has tried the Sealant Kit sold at the web site referred to above by Gord. Here is the description:
This Inflatable Boat Sealant is specially formulated for use with inflatable boats, rafts and tow toys. This sealant forms a bond with the interior fabric of the inflatable stopping or "sealing" slow leaks and inhibits future leaks from developing. In one easy step, leaks are cured from the inside which are virtually impossible to find from the outside. This Sealant is the only product of its kind which allows for future deflation of your inflatable (for storage, etc.) without the skin sticking to itself and making re-inflation virtually impossible. This is why this Sealant product has a 5-Star product rating from West MarineTM, is used by the US Navy and Yachters worldwide since 1986.
How It's Used:
Click to enlarge pictures

1. Deflate the boat.
  2. Inject the liquid sealant into the air chambers through the valves.
  3. Inflate the boat.
  4. Turn the boat end over end and side to side, making sure that the entire interior is covered.
  5. It's sealed and as good as new!
The time you used to spend pumping up the dinghy every few hours or days you can now spend with your first mate, working on your tan, fishing or just relaxing.

One quart seals a 12 foot boat. Read below to calculate amounts required for bigger boats.

inflatable boat sealant for sealing leaks in inflatable boats

I have a slow leak of undetermined location. It is probably due to air loss near the seams as it gets older. I need to add air about every 3 days.
hanschristian38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 20:44   #8

Hanschristian,

Did you ever use this stuff? Did it work? I'm in the same boat (so to speak).

Thanks,

Dr. C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanschristian38 View Post
I thought I would revive this old thread to see if anyone has tried the Sealant Kit sold at the web site referred to above by Gord. Here is the description:
. . .

I have a slow leak of undetermined location. It is probably due to air loss near the seams as it gets older. I need to add air about every 3 days.
Dr. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:29   #9

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
Send a message via Skype™ to jezzb
I am aslo interested in this.

Thanks
Jezzb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanschristian38 View Post
This Inflatable Boat Sealant is specially formulated for use with inflatable boats, rafts and tow toys. This sealant forms a bond with the interior fabric of the inflatable stopping or "sealing" slow leaks and inhibits future leaks from developing. In one easy step, leaks are cured from the inside which are virtually impossible to find from the outside. This Sealant is the only product of its kind which allows for future deflation of your inflatable (for storage, etc.) without the skin sticking to itself and making re-inflation virtually impossible. This is why this Sealant product has a 5-Star product rating from West MarineTM, is used by the US Navy and Yachters worldwide since 1986.
How It's Used:
Click to enlarge pictures
  1. Deflate the boat.
  2. Inject the liquid sealant into the air chambers through the valves.
  3. Inflate the boat.
  4. Turn the boat end over end and side to side, making sure that the entire interior is covered.
  5. It's sealed and as good as new!
The time you used to spend pumping up the dinghy every few hours or days you can now spend with your first mate, working on your tan, fishing or just relaxing.

One quart seals a 12 foot boat. Read below to calculate amounts required for bigger boats.

inflatable boat sealant for sealing leaks in inflatable boats

jezzb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 14:35   #10

Boat: Chung Wa, Magellan, 36', White Swan II
Tuff Coat

Anyone tried this stuff ?
Tuff-Coat Inflatable Boat Restoration Paint
I also use 3m 5200 the black stuff for all kinds of repairs on my 12 yr old pvc zodiac
divicolouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 17:19   #11

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
Also undertaking zodiac repairs. Not too happy with how water can find its way into the bottom of the transom area in a 5yr old pvc cadet to cause damage to the wood. (the corner bottom internal seal both sides had about 1/4" overlap) It appeared to need a further top lap seal above that joint but zodiac here state no one else is complaining just me!

Looking at various adhesive/sealant was wondering about 3M 1300. Anyone used this on inflatables? Would appear to be good for any material used in inflatables.

Anyone tried the pvc paint to restore the appearance like what is used on signs & lettering to inflatables. (see viponds tautflex)

Transom is going hi tech with 2 layers of 10mm aerospace honeycomb carbon composite. Weight 1.35kgs. That won't rot!!

The "rimtec" hull has several hairline cracks & I am the only person who has complained about that also. Not impressed on zodiac this week.

Regards Bill
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 17:57   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. C. View Post
Hanschristian,

Did you ever use this stuff? Did it work? I'm in the same boat (so to speak).

Thanks,

Dr. C.
I've used it with good results. However, it should be considered a last resort, for something like a seam leak in a very old boat. It will not help a bad valve. Before using it, first fill a spray bottle with soapy water, pump the boat up to its maximum pressure, and spray EVERY INCH, including the valves.

When I say "EVERY INCH," I mean inboard, outboard, top and bottom. Chances are good that you've got an easy-to-fix leak that you've just never found. Or a bad valve.

Don't ask how I know this.

Tags
inflatable