Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2017, 13:42   #1

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36
Inflatable fenders

When we purchased our Outremer,it came equipped with a large selection of high quality fenders that takes up an entire forward locker .
I am toying with getting some inflatable fenders which i can deflate for storage . We spend some time in marinas ,but not that many .
Does anyone have experience with them?
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 13:50   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Inflatable fenders

I’ve used these Easystow fenders for many years. Completely satisfied. Tougher than any I’ve seen, and deflate to a very small space.

Easystow Fenders
Old 24-12-2017, 15:23   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Admiral,

For me, the term "inflatable" conjures up, "deflatable."

Now, Mike has written about these fenders in another thread, and I have no personal experience with them, and they may be brilliant. Like many other things with boats, one must be willing to experiment. What you already have has worked for the boat so far, and fenders are a way of keeping her light. A boat like yours has a lot of windage, and I do not know how the point loading between her and Mike's Tayana would effect the fenders. Murphy suggests that such a fender will fail when you need it most.

We have had old fenders fail while disinflated. We let the air out because we wanted more room in the sail locker. It was a fair wee disappointment, throwing out 3 large fenders, possibly due to naivete on our parts.

Ymmv.

Ann
Old 25-12-2017, 01:52   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I’ve used these Easystow fenders for many years. Completely satisfied. Tougher than any I’ve seen, and deflate to a very small space.

Easystow Fenders
I think a mix of the standard inflated fenders and a few inflatables is a good compromise. You always have a few fenders ready to go and you can inflate the larger ones when you need them. The easystows are very tough and long lasting, with the company standing behind them long past any written warranty.
Old 25-12-2017, 11:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I think a mix of the standard inflated fenders and a few inflatables is a good compromise. You always have a few fenders ready to go and you can inflate the larger ones when you need them. The easystows are very tough and long lasting, with the company standing behind them long past any written warranty.
Yes. The main downside of these fenders is that they aren’t immediately available in case of emergencies. I keep a couple of smaller standard ones around for those “Oh CRAP!” moments.

+1 on the great company. I managed to damage one of my fenders (completely my fault). Even though I bought mine more than six years ago, they responded immediately, and sent me repair material for free. Awesome!
Old 25-12-2017, 11:55   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
This makes sense to me! There are times when one needs a fender right now, and having to pump up a deflatable under duress is not a good outlook. But for most cases, just one or two is all you need to stave off disaster (or at least big gel coat scratches). The big deflatables can then be added if necessary.

We only carry two biggish cylindrical fenders and one big teardrop, and mostly that is fine (don't spend much time tied to anything). But there have been a few times over t he years where an additional big one or two would have been helpful. I haven't seen the Easysstow models here in Oz... wonder if they are available?

Jim
Old 25-12-2017, 12:06   #7

Boat: Custom 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Easystow Fenders
Mike, do these stay inflated over long periods? We have AERE inflatable fenders, and even brand new, they start to get soft after a couple weeks. We can't use them if we have to leave the boat unattended for any length of time, and have never seen this brand.

Thanks, TJ
Old 25-12-2017, 12:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Mike, do these stay inflated over long periods? We have AERE inflatable fenders, and even brand new, they start to get soft after a couple weeks. We can't use them if we have to leave the boat unattended for any length of time, and have never seen this brand.

Thanks, TJ
I’ve sat against my Easystows for months at a time. Never a problem holding their air.

The only problem I’ve had with mine was leaving them for months chafing against a rough concrete dock. This damaged one of them, but they never deflated.
Old 25-12-2017, 12:40   #9

Boat: Custom 55

Thanks, Mike.
Old 25-12-2017, 13:10   #10

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Thanks for all that , we also have 2 18inch balls and 2 12 inch balls which I would never part with . We have spent some time in a marine that can also berth mega yachts. The all use inflatable fenders so the strenght must be there . A couple of times I have seen them blow off . I guess the gust hang over the rail.
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fender, inflatable