Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2019, 14:26   #1

Boat: C&C Landfall 48
Ideas for Davit stabilizer

I've just installed a pair of Garhauer davits. The inboard end of the arms are fastened to the top pushpit rail and again firmly attached at the top of the transom. The outboard end has a cross member that is attached to each arm via a T coupling. Sturdy enough in most conditions, but when motion is significant in moderate to heavy seas, the dinghy will swing a little and cause the whole mechanism to move from side to side.

Certainly taking a line from the dinghy bow and stern and securing to the boat makes a significant difference in the amount the davits move. Has anyone installed something to further stabilize the davits themselves such as cross wires or even ss tubing? Whatever I do needs to be removable when the dinghy is launched and boarding the dinghy takes place.
Kingfisher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 14:34   #2

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Re: Ideas for Davit stabilizer

I use diagonals from the bow and stern across the transom and fore and aft from the bow and stern as well. Another line on the middle from the dink gunnel to the stern rail to prevent up and down motion. If the dinghy is simply suspended from the davits by line it is free to move independently.
One could arrange line so that the Dinghy is fixed to the davits in most axes of motion, but that will put larger loads on the rail. I rather those loads bypass the rail and go to the stern cleats and fairleads.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 14:57   #3

Boat: Catalina 36

can you post a picture? I have the Garhauer davits also, but they included diagonal braces in addition to the cross bar (don't have a picture - perhaps I can take some next week). The kit also included braces for the top bar of stantion to the stearn. the davits are rock solid. the dinghy will swill side to side unless you add racheting straps like these https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...744&id=2928997
mikeo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 15:13   #4

just found a picture of mine (not sure how to attach a picture...) hopefully it goes
Old 14-09-2019, 15:16   #5

picture attachment try # 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180331_001.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	430.9 KB
ID:	199849  
Old 14-09-2019, 16:47   #6

I use ratchet straps from bow and stern of dinghy to the backstay. It pulls the boat up and against the curve of the davits. I’ve had 1” straps break so have gone to 2” straps. I don’t have a cross bar on the davits cause the marina won’t let me stick out that much, and I fold them in when at home port
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 19:06   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Had the same problem and rigged wires across the davits in an X. Made the whole structure very rigid. Still need to lash the dinghy in a seaway but made it a lot better.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 11:59   #8

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

I’ve been working through a similar issue with a much heavier setup. The dinghy is a Zodiac Yachtline with a 30hp 2 stroke. I’m getting ready to downsize to a 4 stroke but need to toughen up the davits and their swing tendency underway.
The boom material is very stout but the support tubes at almost right angles have broken the welded attach points at deck level. I have a new design to replace these tabs with a wrap around aluminum band.
Next I will raise the vertical tubes inside their fiberglass tubes inside the lazarette. They will be double bolted through backing plates.
Next my arch which has cable support for the outboard ends will have cross cable supports added.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ture30956.jpeg
Old 15-09-2019, 12:31   #9

Boat: Taswell 43

Our custom-made davits also allow the dinghy to swing just as you describe. We ended up attaching a strap to the transom, and pulling it straight back with a ratchet strap to the boat transom. Then we use 2 more ratchet straps, one from the front dinghy lift line to the opposite boat corner, and another from the dinghy transom to the opposite boat corner. And then we pull the dinghy painter and tie to an aft cleat. Seems to hold the dink very well, even in big seaways.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 15:50   #10

Thanks everyone, appreciate the ideas. Mikeo16 - I did not get the angle tube when Garhauer delivered my davits. I think the wire idea is quite workable though in roughly the same position as your tubes. The ratchet straps will be a big part of the answer, keeping the dinghy from developing as much swing and stress on the davits in the first place.
Old 15-09-2019, 17:28   #11

If you call and ask for Mark Garhauer, he will work with you until you are happy- great company to do business with
Old 15-09-2019, 19:23   #12

Good Idea Mike016. I have purchased quite a few things from them and have stopped in at their facility in Ontario (Los Angeles area). They are a fine group to deal with.