Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2023, 04:52   #1

I apologize. First time inflatable dinghy owner RU3 Hypalon - many questions...

1) I, together with my wife and kids, lift it up on top of my hardtop like I did with my old rigid dink. What's a safe way to pull/lift this one? I don't know if using the eyes where a bridle goes is OK? Thoughts?

2) The hardtop is "textured" and I don't want to wear the Hypalon and ruin the dink. Is this a concern? How to, if needed, can I protect?

3) What is the best way to tie the dink down once on the hardtop? With the rigid dink I would use rachet straps... but I don't think that's a great idea for the inflatable (?) - I don't want to tear anything, etc.

4) What is the proper way to carry this thing, say, across a beach or something? Where do you grab it from to not ruin it?

Pic of previous dink on hard top.
Pic of dink

Thank you for the help! (P.S. I know it's not inflated all the way yet LOL)

Pete
https://pasteboard.co/Ox8vkfPi1nld.jpg
https://pasteboard.co/MxeI5vF0tKIw.jpg
https://pasteboard.co/AolWzCxOzWoE.jpg
Old 06-06-2023, 10:16   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: I apologize. First time inflatable dinghy owner RU3 Hypalon - many questions...

They are pretty tough and I don't think you need to worry much about damaging the hypalon stowing it upside down on the hardtop. But, you will probably find the oarlocks problematic and get in the way. So, it might be worth using a block on the transom to lift it off of the oarlocks.

You can lift it from the eyes on the front used with a bridle, or you can drill into the transom and add 2 eyes there, and lift it with a harness that uses all three points.

Ratchet straps are fine. Done cinch them down too tight, and try to avoid a metal ratchet from direct contact with the dinghy.

You can carry it by the ropes. Dragging over sand is fine, avoid coral etc.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:24   #3

Re: I apologize. First time inflatable dinghy owner RU3 Hypalon - many questions...

Is it better to store upside down or right side up? (Important: We're talking about storing it on the hardtop like in the picture I posted above.)
Old 06-06-2023, 12:40   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

Normally upside down, to keep rainwater out. But sometimes upright if there is a cover, and the plug pulled out.
Old 06-06-2023, 13:48   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Wholybee's way will work for a while, certainly.

Having worn out two hypalon dinghies over our cruising time, I'd suggest making a plastic tarp cover for it, that attaches with Velcro dots. Then stow it upside down on your platform. Or, stow it inflated, and lashed to the boat, across your swim platform underway, ready to launch on arrival. Normally, you can hoist them by their towing eyes.

If you ever want to tow it a short distance, I'd double up and have a second bridle.

Quote:
1) I, together with my wife and kids, lift it up on top of my hardtop like I did with my old rigid dink. What's a safe way to pull/lift this one? I don't know if using the eyes where a bridle goes is OK? Thoughts?

2) The hardtop is "textured" and I don't want to wear the Hypalon and ruin the dink. Is this a concern? How to, if needed, can I protect?

3) What is the best way to tie the dink down once on the hardtop? With the rigid dink I would use rachet straps... but I don't think that's a great idea for the inflatable (?) - I don't want to tear anything, etc. We have two through deck eye bolts, and a seat belt webbing strap against side to side movement; and another eye at the base of the baby stay to lash the bow to. Light line is adequate: I think ours is 1/4 ". If you use the ratchet straps, use a towel or other chafing gear between the metal and the hypalon.

4) What is the proper way to carry this thing, say, across a beach or something? Where do you grab it from to not ruin it?

If it's all of you, grab it by the side straps and carry it along. We have a fender that we use under the keel, as a roller, when it is just the two of us, and roll it as far as it needs to go. Hypalon's tough, but you can sand right through it.
I'd stow it upside down up on the rack, unless you're talking about hurricane country, in which case I'd stow it below, just in case; same thing for powerful winter storms or even summer thunderstorms, which can have very strong winds. The dinghy just adds a lot of windage aloft, and it would be vulnerable to flying sharp objects.

Ann
Old 06-06-2023, 14:33   #6

No option for swim platform. If you could take a look at this pic:
https://pasteboard.co/Ox8vkfPi1nld.jpg

Where the rigid dink is... that's where the inflatable would live.

I'm not certain I get some of what you're saying...

Are you saying to put something between the dink and the hardtop to protect chafing?
Old 07-06-2023, 16:18   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

1) store upside down
2) ratchet straps are fine- dont let the metal parts rub on the hyphalon
3) holes in the transom and the then the bow eye should work for lifting it
4) block ( or fender) under transom to keep oarlocks off deck should work
5) if your surface is nonskid or textured, i would put some padding under it
6) think about a set of chaps for it- not cheap but will add years of life to an expensive investment
Best of luck- i used to use a whaler like in the first pic but it was just too heavy on my stern.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 16:43   #8

The D-Rings below the tubes are made for towing. You can lift the dink from there. Hyalon is tough fabric. Can take some abuse, though sharp or pointed edges are troublesome. Chafe could be a problem too. Common sense prevails.

Surprised there are no handles on the upper surface of the tube. The ropes would be the best place to grab to drag up a beach. Should be fairly lightweight due to slat-floor.

Generally not recommended to rely on inflated tubes for lash-tension. But for short duration trips it should not be an issue as long as you watch-out for temperature drops that will deflate the tubes.

I had a similar roll-up dinghy. It wasn't too bad to inflate/deflate when needed - maybe 10-mins. If it were me, I would make a nice cover for the delfated dinghy and some padeyes to store the deflated dinghy on the hardtop. Will last almost indefinitely.

QUESTION: Why did you switch from your rigid dink?
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 17:36   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
1) store upside down
2) ratchet straps are fine- dont let the metal parts rub on the hyphalon
3) holes in the transom and the then the bow eye should work for lifting it
4) block ( or fender) under transom to keep oarlocks off deck should work
5) if your surface is nonskid or textured, i would put some padding under it
6) think about a set of chaps for it- not cheap but will add years of life to an expensive investment
Best of luck- i used to use a whaler like in the first pic but it was just too heavy on my stern.
Can I ask, why do you suggest storing it upside down? Water filling that might not drain quickly enough? Or another reason?

The reason I ask is that I'm concerned with air getting under it when upside down.

On the other hand, I'm not in love with the bottom of dink being directly on the hardtop...
Old 07-06-2023, 17:38   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
The D-Rings below the tubes are made for towing. You can lift the dink from there. Hyalon is tough fabric. Can take some abuse, though sharp or pointed edges are troublesome. Chafe could be a problem too. Common sense prevails.

Surprised there are no handles on the upper surface of the tube. The ropes would be the best place to grab to drag up a beach. Should be fairly lightweight due to slat-floor.

Generally not recommended to rely on inflated tubes for lash-tension. But for short duration trips it should not be an issue as long as you watch-out for temperature drops that will deflate the tubes.

I had a similar roll-up dinghy. It wasn't too bad to inflate/deflate when needed - maybe 10-mins. If it were me, I would make a nice cover for the delfated dinghy and some padeyes to store the deflated dinghy on the hardtop. Will last almost indefinitely.

QUESTION: Why did you switch from your rigid dink?
The rigid dink was a great solution when my two kids were smaller/lighter. Now that they are bigger... and only using a 2.5 Suzuki, It become a problem. One good scoop over the bow was all I needed to see.
Old 07-06-2023, 17:51   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

Upside down because the first time the drain hole plugs up with some kind of junk and you have a heavy rain you suddenly have a huge amount of weight up there. Roughly 7.6 lbs per gallon and a dinghy 1/2 full could easily be 2800 lbs. if I was in tropics might even consider a canvas sunshade tarp that goes over dinghy and easily secured. Just my thoughts. Your boat of course. Best of luck.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, inflatable