Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2020, 14:01   #1

Hydrostatic Release Unit for Sailboat

Hello- I am currently replacing my life raft in a soft valise with one in a hard container, which will be mounted on an aft port side rail for my IP38. My problem is whether or not to purchase a Hydrostatic Release Unit. An experienced mariner, who is overseeing the boat work, said I should absolutely buy one, in case I need it and cannot reach it before the boat goes under. The Viking dealer, on the other hand, says not to use a HRU on a sailboat, as it could deploy automatically should I get pooped by a wave.

Caught between this conflicting advice, I’m confused. Can anyone offer any suggestions based on knowledge or personal experience?

Thank you in advance.
Sevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 14:04   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Hydrostatic Release Unit for Sailboat

I would never have one. You’re going to want a liferaft at some point after you’ve been rolled by a biggie. Oh dear, the raft went with the wave...

On my westerly I had a remote firing mechanism at the helm. That’s a good alternative.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, lease, sail, sailboat