Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2019, 08:18   #1

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
How to patch a hypalon to fiberglass leak.

This may be buried somewhere in the forum, but I had no luck in finding it. My almost 5 year old hypalon Achilles dinghy has developed a leak where the rubber meets the transom. At least that is where the air is coming out. I was under the impression that this piece of hypalon was simply glued to the tube and transom but did not actually hold air. My suspicion is that the seam in the tube underneath this piece of hypalon has failed. Of course I am in the Bahamas and have no access to anyone who might be able to fix it. Does anyone have any clue as to how I might be able to patch this leak. I have a hypalon patch kit but it doesn't seem to me that gluing a simple patch onto the transom and flap of hypalon is likely to solve the problem.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 08:40   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: How to patch a hypalon to fiberglass leak.

Think you are going to have to peel back the tube to expose the area, then patch over the suspect seam for some distance because air can leak along a seem, then finally glue it back in place to the transom. You will need the two part glue for hypalon for this, not bicycle stuff. Also only use a very thin layer of glue and rough up the hypalon with course sand paper first.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass