Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2018, 10:35   #1

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran
How to get davit apart

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas how to get this davit apart?

I remove the lower bolt and can raise it up by about 4" then it stops.

(we want to replace the upper and lower nylon bearings and may be raising the height).

geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: How to get davit apart

bolt/clamp 2 bits of flat bar across the upright,chock one side and use a car jack to lift the other side of the flat bar
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:38   #3

Atoll,

I've thought of that (or similar), but am a bit concerned as I don't know what is blocking it from sliding up farther - I don't want to break things if I don't need to..... it will be ugly to fix it.
Old 12-06-2018, 13:06   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffr View Post
Atoll,

I've thought of that (or similar), but am a bit concerned as I don't know what is blocking it from sliding up farther - I don't want to break things if I don't need to..... it will be ugly to fix it.
you could blow torch the stainless tube below the upper nylon bush to shrink it.
though i would think the nylon will give before bending the pushpit bars if using a jack.

there is probably a bolt through the davit tube that pushed the lower bush to the bottom of the outer tube,and to prevent the davit from being accidentally lifted out and lost over board.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 13:17   #5

Boat: CS 33

My guess is that the davit has been overloaded at some time and is slightly bent. To check that out raise it up as far as possible and then try and rotate the davit. If it is bent it will be very difficult if not impossible as the bend gets to the bushing. . If it is bent jacking out might be the only option. Probably will destroy the top bushing. Hope this might help. Peter
PDScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 12:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
you could blow torch the stainless tube below the upper nylon bush to shrink it.
though i would think the nylon will give before bending the pushpit bars if using a jack.

there is probably a bolt through the davit tube that pushed the lower bush to the bottom of the outer tube,and to prevent the davit from being accidentally lifted out and lost over board.
Atoll,

yes there is a bolt at the bottom of the post to stop the post from lifting - if I don't remove it I can't lift the davit at all, once removed I can get up a couple inches before it no longer goes any higher (at least with my strength). If you look you can see the bolt at the bottom (with a ring welded to it).

... looks like a car jack ... (or the 8-ton one I have )