Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2021, 16:44   #1

Boat: Hunter 38
How much dinghy do I need?

Closing on a H38 next week. It has davits (> 100" width). I'm planning on a RIB, probably FG hull.

How much dinghy do I need for 2 people (male 6' 185lbs, female 4.92' 90lbs), and a typical grocery load or two sets of dive gear and 2 x 80 cu ft tanks? Or, 4 people no stuff.

I was thinking 10' or under. Reasonable?
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 16:47   #2

Boat: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Re: How much dinghy do I need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
Closing on a H38 next week. It has davits (> 100" width). I'm planning on a RIB, probably FG hull.

How much dinghy do I need for 2 people (male 6' 185lbs, female 4.92' 90lbs), and a typical grocery load or two sets of dive gear and 2 x 80 cu ft tanks? Or, 4 people no stuff.

Yes. Check the load limitations before selecting though. A 9.9hp outboard should put a dinghy that size on plane with two people on board. Not 4.

~A
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 17:20   #3

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanT View Post
Yes. Check the load limitations before selecting though. A 9.9hp outboard should put a dinghy that size on plane with two people on board. Not 4.

~A

I was thinking something in the 9'6" - 10' range with a 9.9 hp 4-stroke. I don't have load limits on the davits atm, but they are seriously stout and integrated with the Hunter traveller arch.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 22:10   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello, flightlead404,

Do see if you can find out somewhere what the load limits of your davits are. Your o/b is around #100, plus whatever your dinghy and its contents will weigh, out there on a longish lever arm where sea states and wind gusts can accelerate the loads. You should stay well within the load limits, too.

One of the other moderators, Dockhead, had beautiful davits, yet had a cracking problem (work hardening and overload).

From our experience, a 10 ft. dinghy will be smallish for both of you, a load of groceries and dive gear, but if you don't take your dive gear shopping, or vice versa ( ) you'll be able to manage well.

Ann
Old 14-04-2021, 23:01   #5

Boat: Hunter 380

We have a 380 and fitted it with a 350 with a 20hp tohatsu. The attachment points will work and my new davits r on order. The 9.9,15,&20 are the same block and without a starter 97lbs. I wanted something that could could get 4 people with supplies upriver quick in a pinch. I also know it could be a simple tow, dingy with motor in davits, dingy alone in davits with motor on a board or even dingy lashed to the deck with the motor on the rail for a passage.
Dallasron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 02:09   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

There is no right answer -- what you want can be done with an 8' soft inflatable, but a 10' RIB is better, 11' even better than that.

But there are other considerations. Do you plan any longer ocean passages? If so, then you will want to have a dinghy which can be stored other than in the davits.

When I bought my boat, it came with an Avon 340 with center console and 25hp Mariner outboard -- a "proper little motorboat". I loved it -- it was fast and seaworthy and capacious, could carry 5 people plus gear and could plane with 5 people and no gear. When I was keeping my boat in Cowes I would occasionally blast across the Solent in it in lieu of taking the ferry. I took day trips up rivers in it.

My boat had electric davits which made raising and launching the heavy dink a snap.

BUT. The davits were troublesome -- always at the top of the repair list. And the heavy dinghy swung around in a seaway, eventually cracking the davits. No way to store that beast on deck.

So I got rid of the whole mess and replaced it with an Avon 310 Lite folding RIB and smaller manual davits. This dink folds down to near surfboard size and can be stored on the foredeck in its bag. For short passages in calm weather, or storage overnight at anchor, it goes in the davits. It's so light that I can handle it single handed, even getting it up on deck and folding it.

This RIB is no longer made, but I think there is a similar French made one. It can carry 4 people and a small amount of gear in calm weather or two people and a lot of gear, but the tubes are small so easy to swamp it (don't ask me how I know). I used it at first with an 8hp Selva 4 stroke outboard which would plane it easily with two people, but because I don't have (and don't want -- windage) an outboard davit, I swapped it later for a 3.5hp Mercury, which I can lift with one hand. The dink won't plane at all with this but for my purposes that's ok. An alternative would be a Torqeedo or similar electric outboard which has some intriguing advantages.

If you never plan any ocean passages you could consider a dinghy which you can't handle without davits, but I would think three times about that, no matter how tempting is the speed and capaciousness of such dinks.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 10:09   #7

one you can survive(heaven forbid) in off shore... an old east coaster fisherman once told me
arcticmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 10:20   #8

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I have a Hunter 37.5. I use a West Marine PRU-3, fold up dinghy. I have davits, too, but for long passages I fold up the dink, place it in the bag and store on deck. I use a 3.5 tohatsu outboard ( soon to be 5 hp after I put the new upgrade carb on). Have had it for 9 years. It hangs on the davits mostly. Carrying capacity is 990 pounds. I have easily transported all 5 of us (kids and wife) and used it to take the dog to go potty.

About the outboard.... no planing. It's much better/faster than rowing, though.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 11:28   #9

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

I had a 10', 100 lb AL RIB which was good for 2-4 people. I used attachments to a high arch to store the dinghy. I could raise it high for ocean passages so that it would not scoop up water when heeled. Low to see over on the Intra Coastal. With 4:1 block and tackle it was hard, but OK, for my wife to raise. I never traveled with the motor on. It was very hard to stop swaying under sail and much harder with the motor. I rigged an arm and 4:1 tackle with which I could raise the motor and swing it on to the stern rail. Sailors with 8' dinghies wished they had bigger.

I used a 15 HP 2 stroke engine with which I could plane with 3 adults and gear. You stay dry up on a plane. The 15 HP weighs the same as the 9.9 HP. Alone I could go over 25 knots. I recommend a 2 stroke for the weight and easier maintenance. I also carried a 3.3 HP 2 stroke which I used 90% of the time to go boat to shore.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 11:42   #10

Keep in mind that there are a number of dinghy docks that post length limits. Usually around 12 (sometimes 13) feet. In the last few years, dinghy's (like surburban houses) are getting bigger and bigger.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 11:50   #11

Boat: Taswell 43

We sail a Taswell 43, and have used the same RIB for the past 11 years. We have davits in the rear, but as was mentioned, it can swing a lot in a seaway. We've devised a way to cross-tie it and steady it, but we always bring it up on the foredeck (upside-down, with the motor off and on the back rail) when we're making a longer passage and/or the seas are really up. Our RIB is 11'3", with big tubes. It's fine for the 2 of us, even after a grocery run. But it gets pretty tight for 4 of us! We use a 2-cycle Yamaha 15hp O/B. We can plane with the 2 of us, not with a full load (2+groceries+beer/pop+bottled water, etc), and no way with 4 on board. Not a big deal....unless we've got a long way to go, which is the case more often than not. Get a dink and O/B as big as you can afford/your davits will support-extra space and/or power is always nice!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 12:06   #12

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:

TWO THINGS: one; there is a growing trend among marinas with dinghy docks to limit their length to 12' as they're tired of all the paramilitary assault weapons clogging their limited dock space. Two; make sure you get something you can fit on the foredeck comfortably - davits are a no go for long offshore passages, for short hops people generally just tow their dinghy with a good painter.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 12:15   #13

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

If you just want to get to shore and back in calm conditions then a 10' soft bottom will suffice. If you want to stay dry, explore outside the harbor, plane with 4 people, anchor furthest out for bugs, privacy, and tow it safely, them a 12' rib/20hp is needed. Rightside up on the foredeck engine attached for passages, easily done with 2 people on spin halyard.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 16:22   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticmonkey View Post
one you can survive(heaven forbid) in off shore... an old east coaster fisherman once told me

This is why God made life rafts . . .

Dinghy is not the right tool for this job.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 16:25   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Actually, as Jim and I have had 15 hp obs forever, I think 15 hp is adequate. Sometimes, it required a prop change (but one needs a spare prop anyway, if one is an inveterate explorer) to plane with four large adults. Our dinghies have been between 13 ft and 3.5 m (11.2 ft). Okay for dive gear for 2, crowded for 4, but doable. Recommend at least 18" tubes, for "dryness". Smaller tubes, the payloads get a lot more splash, and sometimes you want a way to give the groceries a "raincoat".

You should be able to store the dinghy on the foredeck for passages, or be willing to lose it. At the costs of hypalon dinghies these days, that would be an expensive decision.

Fwiw, we found that less guests actually come visit when you are far away than we thought....and this seems to be a common thing.

Ann

Tags
dinghy