Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2021, 04:37   #16

Boat: Dufour 40 E, 12 m
Re: How much dinghy do I need?

The advantage of a 10' dinghy with a soft bottom is considerably (about 20 lbs) lighter than a dink with an aluminium floor. A new <Soft Bottom> (inflated at 10 psi, 0,7 bar) is a bit less stable, but for short trips and low speed I it seems no problem. Can somebody confirm this, that the standing up stability is not a problem.
Sea Angel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 05:52   #17

Boat: Hunter 38

Thanks for the info everyone

This is for coastal cruising, US east coast, keys. Longest "offshore" passage would be a daysail lol over to Bimini.

I would not plan on putting it in the davits with the OB on and have a crane/block on rail for the OB. The davits supposedly have some sort of "stabilization" attachment that I guess will make sense when I actually put a dink on it, 'cos it didn't when I examined during survey. However I expect some cross bracing required with a couple of come-alongs as well while under way.

As far as bringing the boat up, the tail of the 4-part hoist at davit each end can be lead to a winch so that should help if needed.

With an FG or AL RIB and deflating the tubes storage forward should not be an issue on the 38, I've seen them stored there on 380s and 386's (earlier generations of this boat).
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 06:15   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

You need enough to plane with two people and 150# of groceries.

You need enough HP to get your yacht out of trouble.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 07:43   #19

Generally as much as the boat can safely carry. It's your delivery van, grocery getter, dive boat, explorer,,,. We carry a 13' aluminum AB which is lighter then the fiberglass version with a 25 hp Yamaha on the foredeck. It works well for us but we're a 61' boat.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 07:01   #20

Right now I'm looking at the Achilles HB-315LX.

10'4" LOA, 5'5" beam, 17" tubes, Hypalon
Fiberglass hull
1320lb capacity, weights 128 lbs
Recommended HP 10, max 15.

I was planning on a 9.9 or 9.8 motors.

Its a tad heavy, but good capacity.

Anyone have any experience with this boat?
Old 17-04-2021, 16:44   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post

Fiberglass hull

The Tohatsu MFS9.9EEFS EFI, 4-Stroke 2021 is probably the outboard I'll choose. Its rope+electric start (electric is important to my diminutive gf), with a 12A alternator and is EFI.

A good pair with the above dingy?
Old 29-04-2021, 14:29   #22

Boat: Kristen 465

I have found that the shore you are landing on is also an important consideration. In the Pacific Northwest beaches are mostly rocky and covered with barnacles, so an aluminum RIB is an asset. When I was cruising for a season on the west coast of Mexico I found the beaches were often steep, soft sand and it was a nightmare to haul my beast of a double hulled plastic 11' RIB up the beach alone (my wife has a bad back and I didn't want her to help). I was very jealous of my friend who had a light weight, small dinghy that he could easily manhandle alone.

I just bought a 9' AB alum RIB with the intent to have one as light as possible yet robust and able to be dragged over barnacles. I can easily lift it with the 8 hp engine. I kept my roll-up PVC 9 inflatable for backup.

In contrast, the one I had in Mexico weighed 135 lbs + 112 lbs for an electric start 15 hp Honda + battery + fuel tank. That was simply too heavy unless there is strong crew to handle it. But it sure handled nicely and went places fast!
Cadence10m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 07:14   #23

Supply is so limited right now that my choices were slim if I wanted it in the timeframe needed. Ended up driving to Ft. Lauderdale and picked up an Apex AL-310 aluminum bottom boat. Its about 91lbs and my gf and I can easily lift it.

Also picked up a Yamaha F9.9SMHB electric start outboard.

Combined weight round 200lbs.

I rigged up some 4:1 tackles with cam cleats to get up on to the davits and I think it will work well.
Old 30-04-2021, 07:23   #24

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

In indonesia the coast guard stopped me on the road and confiscated my passport informing me they needed gas for their motor bike. I tell him I don't have fuel or use fuel, only the sail. Then they searched my bag for money but found nothing. So next we walked to my dinghy.

He askes "can two ride?" but because it's a very small 1 person kayak, I say no, it will tip over. So I went to my boat, got 50 cent bottle of rum and returned to exchange it for my passport.

If your dinghy can fit two people he would go to your boat and find more to take. If your dinghy has fuel he would take the fuel. If you have an outboard, in many countries people will steal it. People will think you are rich, because you are, the price of food will be higher for you to the people selling on the street if you show up with a big outboard. In many countries with other cruisers around I had different price from the other cruisers because the locals also use oars and they respect the oar.

It is 2021, and evident that using a polluting outboard is an entitled selfish act reserved for those with low moral values.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:07   #25

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post

Fiberglass hull

Would strongly recommend choosing a rib that is rated for 20 or more hp. Perhaps Achilles has such a model (owned a small non-rib Achilles for 25 years with no issues so nothing against Achilles). Say that because the 4 stroke 9.9, 15, and 20 hp outboards all weigh the same. The 20 will plane a 10’ rib with 4 people or two people with a big load. Have been glad to have the extra hp many times. The 20 hp costs a little more and near as I can tell doesn’t use that much more fuel. We have cruised with an AB 10 VL with a 20 hp 4 stroke for 10 years. Leave it attached to dinghy when lift on Kato Marine Island model Davits, but strap it well to prevent lateral movement. We have made many Gulf Stream crossings back and forth to the Bahamas with no issues.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 16:49   #26

That depends. Are you actually going cruising? If you are, then you have to stop thinking of a dingy as just a way to get to shore.
bcripps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy