Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2019, 00:49   #46

Boat: C&C Landfall 38
Re: How many W of solar to fill an AL30 dive tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
I will try and find the link but it can be done using solar.

A clever air/con electrician in Cairns who built his own powercat ran his coltri bauer jnr equilivant using a cheap 3000w/6000wpeak chinese inverter

The secret was a 3phase variable speed electric motor which he was able to vary with a controller. Also ran his 240V water maker off solar/batteries.

I think 44C would know where to find the link.
Can I do my 6 LP 85s in under 2 hours? If not is not going to be for me......maybe for someone that needs to look at thier prop now and then....I'd just free dive.....

Of course it can be done......I have a 3 bedroom house on a waterless island.....
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 19:16   #47

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
Can I do my 6 LP 85s in under 2 hours? If not is not going to be for me......maybe for someone that needs to look at thier prop now and then....I'd just free dive.....

Of course it can be done......I have a 3 bedroom house on a waterless island.....
Apparently around normal 20 min fill time. The concept of the variable speed 3phase electric was to eliminate starting loads.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 23:01   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
I will try and find the link but it can be done using solar.

A clever air/con electrician in Cairns who built his own powercat ran his coltri bauer jnr equilivant using a cheap 3000w/6000wpeak chinese inverter

The secret was a 3phase variable speed electric motor which he was able to vary with a controller. Also ran his 240V water maker off solar/batteries.

I think 44C would know where to find the link.
Thanks, I'd like to see his set up if you find the video. I thought about 3Ph but it would be another controller on top of the inverter so I stopped looking. Interesting to see how people get around problems.

I'm going ahead with the 12Vdc straight from the batteries charged by the solar. There is so much fat in the numbers I am sure it will work without issue.

I know it's against the flow of advice but I have investigated all the advice and modified the set up taking it into account. 12Vdc is my best option, it will work................ falling on sword
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2019, 12:53   #49
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

keep us posted!

especially performing the Ah counting test per bottle, it's just a $30 gadget and very useful long-term
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar