Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2020, 05:43   #16

Re: How is Zodiac Quality Lately?

Thank you to those who actually commented on Zodiac. Your comments are certainly concerning. Additionally, I have no interest in porta boats or hard boats. AB and Achilles are definately out of my budget at the moment. I'm not full time cruising and it would be used on the weekends and 4-5 day trips. If I could get 3 to 4 years of service out of it I would be happy. I just don't want it falling apart in a year.

I need something that will fit on deck (9' 6") and use a 15hp engine. Which I already own a 15 merc two stroke which I will probably take to the grave.

The dealer has a 2019 290 Zodiac PVC double floor RIB in exactly what I need for $2200.

I'm shopping for my 4th dinghy in 3 years. In my short experience I've had a air floor/air keel mercury with a 6hp which was like riding on a noodle. My wife said sell it after getting drenched our first trip. Then I had a 260 Mercury Hypalon RIB which was great but too small for the 15hp. Then I bought a used West Marine 310 Hypalon which was prefect for the 15hp but the marina ran over on accident the other day with a piece of equipment. The 310 would fit on deck but the bow laid on top of the windlass which was bad. So mostly I towed it.

I would really like to find an AB or Achillies used. I've called every RIB dealer in Florida and have been checking craigslist. Craigslist is mostly abused junk or missing the title.

WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:48   #17

Boat: Swan 57

If you get one of these it will easily roll up and be out of the way.
https://www.plastimo.com/en/annexes-fun-ii-8986.html

Hermia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 13:22   #18

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

I do not understand how Zodiac stays in business, with the crap they make , my story, i wore out a 12 ft, Zodiac over the year's in S.E. Asia, great boat, so purchased another in 1985, used it for about 2 month's, and stored it away after cleaning it and powdering it down, along with a smaller Avon, 2 year's later upon unpacking both, i found the Zodiac in piece's, talking to the agent, i found out, it was made with a combination of PVC and Hypolong, glued together, and the glue had failed, the Hypolong Avon was fine, cause i had purchased it out of the USA, it was not covered by any guarantee, wrote Zodiac in France, with no response, it's impossible to reglue a boat, unless your a professional, and the local shop opted out of the job,soooo, i thru in the dumpster, a NEW $ 3000 dollar boat, i hate Zodiac, and any time i can bad mouth them i do.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 21:25   #19

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSMFP View Post
I found a good deal on a left over Cadet Rib 290 in PVC that the dealer is discounting. I did some research here and found mixed reviews. This particular RIB has the flat deck/double floor which would be nice for my dog. He was always trying to get his footing in our old single floor RIB.

Should I look at another brand? There are some great deals out there on 310 lenght stuff but 290 series RIBs are the biggest I can fit on deck. I'm definately on a budget.

The dealer also has a deal on a Mercury 300 Ocean Runner which has a single floor. But this model specs out at 140 pounds which seems high.
We have an older Zodiac Fastroller 350 (nearly 20 years old now), and a newer Fastroller 340 (8 years). Very happy with both, and the air floor means we can roll the whole thing up and stow in its bag on deck or in the spare cabin. They are both welded PVC construction.
David B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 06:47   #20

I have a new Zodiac Cadet 270 ALU (aluminum insert floor). I noticed the valves do not fit my old pump with the standard twist to lock connector. Their supplied foot pump does work, but only if you use the non-locking straight tube that is a press fit (holds by friction when you put it in the valve). URL here https://shop.inflatableboatparts.com...s-part-z67068/ (actually I'm not sure this url is the part that sticks in the actual valve or the plastic insert that goes in the pump hose end, which then the press fit connector attaches to)

Has anyone else noticed this? Now I have to either buy adapters or new pumps to have a backup.

Note also, on the supplied foot pump, do not try to remove the plastic insert at the end of the hose thinking that you can then insert the twist-to lock connector there. You cannot remove this (I think it is glued in or jammed in very hard). So you cannot use the twist-to lock connector as it will not fit over the plastic insert, do not try, it will break. Only the press fit connector will fit over this.

paulg222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
zodiac