Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2017, 09:43   #16

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: How fast does a hard dinghy motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt_1942 View Post
Dumbest question of the day....Why not ask:
How long is a piece of rope?
How much does a car cost?
Dumbest comment of the day...Why even bother?
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:58   #17

Boat: Westsail 28

Hi Cap Bill , welcome to CF , What boat do you have ? Do you have the room to keep your inflatable and get that sailing / rowing dink ? I hope you come back but if you don't I understand .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:59   #18

Boat: Pearson

Im not sure with the styles you mentioned. It should plane, maybe 6-8, depends on weight and rocker of bottom. I build plywood boats, and the flatter the faster. comparing a 8' pram to other styles with flatter bottoms the prams are slower, but should plane with 225 lbs. Ive settled on a portaguese dink that flies with a 5 honda probable 12 knots. I've built some dory style in the 10-13' that do well and will plane with a three. alot depends on weight, two strokes seem to out preform the fours. hope this helps.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:59   #19

Boat: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Bill Des View Post
We've cruised the Caribbean for 5 years with an inflatable dinghy, high pressure floor, and have become very happy with our 3.5hp 2-stroke because it weighs 25 lbs and my wife can start it herself.

But I miss high-quality rowing and having a small sailing dinghy, so we are considering changing to a rigid dinghy.

How fast does an 8-foot dinghy, like a Fatty Knees or Bauer, or others, motor with a 3.5hp motor? (I know that some spec 2 hp max, but I asked if my 3.5hp was OK since it is same motor as 2.5hp retuned and was told it's OK since their concern is weight)

2 knots, 3,4,5,6 knots? Does anyone have data? I'm assuming flat water, no wind conditions. I asked Fatty Knees and they said they'd never measured. What I'm really hoping is that someone had taken a GPS out in their dinghy. ..

Thanks for any data on this!
I'm planning to build my own Woods designed 'Duo' nesting tender which I think might be something you could also consider. It does seem to cover all the specs you mentioned. I've seen plenty of videos of it being rowed and sailing and a couple with a small outboard (2.5HP). It's supposed to go max 5kts under power which I reckon is fast enough for me. It is after all only a tender.

Design includes fenders/rollers attached to gunwales for safety and to reduce chance of damage to mothership. 10' in cheap ply and epoxy. Plans cost me about $50AUD - maybe 40 US.

Hope this helps.

ColR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:17   #20

On the subject of dinghies, has anyone added a tube kit to a Walker Bay 10? Not much freeboard with 2 adults aboard and wondering if the tubes will help?
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:18   #21

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

My 8' Fatty Knees rows easily at about two knots. I have seen video of a 2 HP British Seagull motoring at 5 kts but I haven't tried the Seagull on my FK yet.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:13   #22

Boat: Nordhavn 47

I have a 10 ft Trinka and the hull speed is 4.2. I have a little Torqueedo motor and it is very clear the increase in power that is needed to get it up to that speed.
I can go 3 for hardly any power. Double that and it goes to 3.4. Double that and it goes to 3.8. It takes everything the Torqueedo has to get to 4.2.
I suspect you could gain a little with a bigger engine but you will start to bury so not much more then that in a Trinka like hull.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 15:52   #23

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

My 11 foot PT 11 Spear Dinghy (nesting version also available) does about 5.5 knots if you have weight in the bow to maximize the waterline. With a 2.5hp outboard.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 15:53   #24

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Oops - make that 4.5 knots on the PT 11
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 17:23   #25

Thank you to all that have provided helpful responses to my original post question. Our current 10 foot inflatable goes 5.2 knots in ideal conditions with our 3.5 hp. Considering all the data offered, and I believe a row/sail dinghy that would please me would not be a planing hull, I suspect we would take a motoring speed reduction. We've only got room for one dinghy. Before spending 3-5K $, if new, I'm thinking I better try these in person. When we get back to the States I'm going to visit at least two of Trinka in Fl, Bauer in ?NC?, and Fatty Knees in MA.

Please keep the data coming, and I would especially appreciate hearing from folks who cruise full-time with a hard dinghy.

Thanks!
Cap Bill Des is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 19:17   #26

Boat: Scout 30

Our Bauer 10 is similar to the Trinka in that 4 knots is about the best you can hope for. Pretty beamy with full bilges & a ton of rocker so I can only run the 2 hp Honda up to about half throttle before it starts digging a hole. But that's alright with us, it's a lot quieter that way & we love just putting around. Plus it sails & rows like a dream.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 19:39   #27

Quote:
We've cruised the Caribbean for 5 years with an inflatable dinghy, high pressure floor, and have become very happy with our 3.5hp 2-stroke because it weighs 25 lbs and my wife can start it herself.

But I miss high-quality rowing and having a small sailing dinghy, so we are considering changing to a rigid dinghy.

How fast does an 8-foot dinghy, like a Fatty Knees or Bauer, or others, motor with a 3.5hp motor? (I know that some spec 2 hp max, but I asked if my 3.5hp was OK since it is same motor as 2.5hp retuned and was told it's OK since their concern is weight)

2 knots, 3,4,5,6 knots? Does anyone have data? I'm assuming flat water, no wind conditions. I asked Fatty Knees and they said they'd never measured. What I'm really hoping is that someone had taken a GPS out in their dinghy. ..

Thanks for any data on this!
Hi Bill

I'm a newbie here so be gentle.

Your requirement in a tender is almost exatly the same as mine ie want to be able to row easily, sail or motor. I also want to be able to nest it if the mothership requires it..

I bought the plans for the Richard Woods Duo 10' tender, but have yet to build. Woods specs on the boat say up to 5kts under 2.5HP motor with 2 crew - plenty fast enough. The plans only cost about 25 GBP. There are lots of videos of this boat design in various confiurations. Build is 4mm ply and glass/epoxy. Bare weight 20kg.

His web site is sailingcatamarans.com

Hope this helps

Col
Old 09-02-2017, 19:51   #28

Quote:
Thank you to all that have provided helpful responses to my original post question. Our current 10 foot inflatable goes 5.2 knots in ideal conditions with our 3.5 hp. Considering all the data offered, and I believe a row/sail dinghy that would please me would not be a planing hull, I suspect we would take a motoring speed reduction. We've only got room for one dinghy. Before spending 3-5K $, if new, I'm thinking I better try these in person. When we get back to the States I'm going to visit at least two of Trinka in Fl, Bauer in ?NC?, and Fatty Knees in MA.

Please keep the data coming, and I would especially appreciate hearing from folks who cruise full-time with a hard dinghy.

Thanks!
Sorry Bill

Missed your later post.

Youtube link on rowing the tender I'm planning to build. Hopefully the link will work, otherwise copy the text and paste it in. As I said before, I'm new to this.

The design is for a self build (says could be done in 35 hours up to paint stage). I don't know how many of these are about to see. However, the designer and the tender he uses is in the Bahamas at the moment. Are you in the same par tof the world?

https://youtu.be/PK03IQT1O2w
Old 10-02-2017, 07:26   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

your hard dinghy will motor only as fast as you wish to be wet.
you may get 5 kts out of it, but .....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:31   #30

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
your hard dinghy will motor only as fast as you wish to be wet.
you may get 5 kts out of it, but .....
I have to differ a little. Our Trinka is as dry as our old inflatable. Maybe because it is slower.
My wife was worried about the stability but came around quickly and actually likes this one better then the inflatable. It also rows like a champ. We don't use the sailing function much but that is just because we get a little lazy cruising.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, motor