Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2018, 05:24   #31
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Hookah System for maintenance/inspection/recreation--Practical?

there's no upside other than they aren't living in the growth on your boats bottom anymore
Old 02-03-2018, 08:42   #32

It was a joke, Joyce.
shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:15   #33

Boat: Pearson 30

Thanks, everyone, for the input. Looks like 12v compressor system would work for me.
Ebay has systems for $400 and up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-diving-...sAAOSw5cNYeQq4
Sailon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:03   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufti View Post
I'm intrigued by this statement. I do my own bottom periodically with a snorkel and mask and I've never had anything left on me when finished. What are you guys growing over there?
Some ablative paints rub off easily when you bump the bottom, I snorkeled a few times and managed to get paint over arms elbows and gloves - using a hookah with weights I can stand on the sea floor and clean much more effectivley and efficiently.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 04:12   #35

Boat: Swarbrick 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Having spent a number of years in my youth as a commercial diver I can assure you that a hookah is not any more depth limited than a tank, except for the umbilical effect of the hose, and also that it was common practice to use a tank topside fitted with a first stage connected to an appropriate hose to perform inspections in situations where a short duration dive was required.
Hi Bob.
I am looking at a small hookah system for my boat. As I already have scuba gear. I thought I could use my own Reg. But talking to the girl at the boat show who was selling them, She said that the regs they use are low pressure regs designed for hookah systems. They look much lower quality than the ones I own and my regs work fine when the pressure runs low. Was she pulling my leg?
Old 26-08-2018, 06:47   #36
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post
Hi Bob.
I am looking at a small hookah system for my boat. As I already have scuba gear. I thought I could use my own Reg. But talking to the girl at the boat show who was selling them, She said that the regs they use are low pressure regs designed for hookah systems. They look much lower quality than the ones I own and my regs work fine when the pressure runs low. Was she pulling my leg?
She was not pulling your leg. That said, some off-the-shelf scuba 2nd stages will work fine when used in a hookah rig. Some will not. Only one way to find out.
fstbttms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 12:00   #37

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Shrimp wormy body suits like from a B horror movie.
LOL I had those things all over me once. They are horrible looking little micro alien looking critters and I totally lost it when I saw millions of them clinging to my suit squirming frantically. Oddly enough they would not grab hold of my bare skin but wow I sure got nekkid in a hurry!!! They seem to be harmless though. My boat had about an inch thick layer of spongy marine growth on it below the waterline and it was quite an ecosystem. (Like that when I bought it).
Old 26-08-2018, 12:44   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Hookah System for maintenance/inspection/recreation--Practical?

Any good reg is adjustable for a lower intermediate pressure.
That is what the pressure between the two stages is called, and frequently it’s 150 PSI, which is higher than most compressors make.
I bought one of those “Hooka” regs, piece of junk, I threw it away and adjusted one of my Dive Rites to work.

Just use an oilless compressor and a hose meant for breathing air, I used a “silent”compressor, about as loud as a sewing machine.
I despise the average “vibrator” compressor, obnoxious for everyone else and you don’t have to make all that noise.

Cotemar I think wrote op a post detailing part by part his DIY Hooka
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 12:56   #39

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Having used both, I prefer scuba. Just my preference. Hoses get all tangled and caught on crap. I just bought a full face mask and comm gear so I can talk to the surface. Can't wait to try it out! I should be home toward the end of Sept and my bottom needs cleaning, and I got to do some shaft and strut work, too. And GF boat needs cleaning as well. The full face mask I think will make this a lot easier. I hate having a reg mouthpiece in my mouth for more than 15 minutes or so. Combined with the dry air, it has me almost gagging sometimes by the time an 80 is getting low.

When I tried hookah I was not using any sort of BC, just a few lead weights on a weight belt, but when you get it right, if you stay at keel depth or less, your lungs provide acceptable neutral bouyancy capability. I never tried hookah deeper than the marina which is max about 15 or 16 feet I think. I suspect at 40 or 50 feet you would be pretty negative even with fully inflated lungs. Not an issue for just boat work, though.

There IS depth limitation, according to the pressure and volume that the rig can supply. You need more pressure at greater depth. With two divers the problem is particularly notable.

There are a lot of skills and bits of knowledge that a hookah diver really really needs to know. Just because you don't need to be certified doesn't mean you don't need the knowledge and techniques. I strongly recommend at the minimum downloading all of the youtube videos of PADI pool certification exercises and reading everything you can get your hands on about skin diving. Little things, like holding your breath on ascent or ascending too fast, or not taking a safety stop after going to the bottom and staying there for more than a few minutes, things like that, can get you into a world of trouble. Just ordering a Brownie on Amazon and jumping in the water is kind of a really really bad idea.

As many of the PADI certification skills as are applicable at all, should be practiced in shallow, clear water with your new hookah, with another diver present. Actually getting certified might be considered overkill, but it will arm you with a lot of knowledge that could save your life.

Try your new rig out at the shallow end of a pool. Weight yourself so that with full lungs you can float without treading water with the top of your head to your eyes out of the water. When you exhale you should sink. When you inhale you should unsink. Adjust your weights properly to achieve this. Do all the exercises... purge reg and mask, drop mask and recover it, swim without mask, drop reg and recover it, practice bouyancy, buddy breathe, all that stuff. Panic-proof yourself before you bail over the rail from your boat into deep water.

All this goes double if you elect to go scuba without certification. At some point, without practice, you probably WILL panic, likely the first time you enter the water and don't have a clue about bouyancy and stuff, or lose your reg when the hose snags on a piling bolt, or get tangled up in crap, or get your eardrums squeezed, or flood your mask, or even lose a flipper or get lost underwater. Yes, it is possible to get lost in the water if you don't have a clue. Especially in murky marina water with near zero visibility. It is possible to DIE in the water if you don't have all of the clues. 6 feet down is only marginally safer than 60 feet down. With proper training, scuba diving or hookah diving are probably statistically about as dangerous as golfing or playing chess. So do get some training, and even good self training with a buddy is better than no training at all.

But that's all off topic I suppose. Back to hookah. There are lots of units available that run off 120VAC, 220, 12VDC, gas engine, stuff like that. For your own boat you could DIY something that would run off your engine's PTO if you have one. Filtration is important. Maybe not as important as for SCUBA air, but still pretty darn important. Make sure no CO or other bad stuff can get to the intake of your compressor. A lot of cheap Chinese ebay stuff gives me the willys, TBH. I suggest you stick with established brands. Brownie has a pretty good track record. It's like the Bauer Jr of the hookah world. Very popular, high market saturation. They got little floating units you can swim away with.

I would say a hookah rig is VERY practical, even when you usually farm your boat diving jobs out to some guy who does it for a living. And it can be fun, yeah. And so your anchor simply won't come free, well hey, the marina diver guy didn't go sailing with you. Snorkeling down to where it is hung up might be doable depending on depth and conditions but the hookah would probably be better. Again, I myself prefer SCUBA but hookah has some pros, such as unlimited air supply, (in shallow water) no need to find a place to fill tanks, and no classes REQUIRED (but still recommended!). By the time you buy BC, a couple of tanks, reg and octopus, computer/guages, etc, you have nearly spent what a decent hookah setup costs and you still need to be able to get fills.

Most dive shops do classes, and most programs have an introductory class for like $30 to $75 thereabouts where you get to actually don gear and breathe underwater for the first time. A great intro to the world of skin diving. And it gives you some initial familiarity with breathing below the surface and being a fish for just a little while. Being able to discuss equipment and techniques for working under your boat with a professional instructor is worth a visit to your local dive shop, too.
Old 26-08-2018, 13:52   #40

Boat: Passport 40

You can always adjust the second stage you do that through the inlet port. Some regulators have an allen key hole, others have a big flat screwdriver to adjust the "sensitivity" and thus, you can match it closely to your constant pressure before freeflowing. It's not complicated at all.

gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, inspection, maintenance