Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2017, 12:44   #106

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Hookah ,diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Cotemar, thanks for that clear simple menu for your DIY hookah. I missed it if you posted earlier, but how deep can you go with that? Have you ever taken it 75' down? And, if not limited by the hose length, could you go deeper?
Maybe someone else here can answer this for you as I only purchased this Hookah ,DIY system to use to clean and work on my boat bottom or to dive on our anchor.

Sometimes it's not easy or convenient to find a dive shop to fill dive tanks when we are out cruising.

I have full dive gear for any dives deeper than 33 feet.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 13:34   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Hookah ,diy

Once you figure your surface air consumption then it's easy to determine the requirement at depth, every 33' is an atmosphere if memory serves.
My SAC rate is .67 cu ft per min, so let's use .7 for simplicity. If I dove to 99' that is three more atmospheres than surface so I'd need 2.8 cu ft of air. 4x .7 = 2.8
Then realize that at 99' your going to lose 45 PSI cause your I believe in 60 PSI of water. Surface pressure is 14.7
Now my math skills suck, so verify this, but now your going to need a reg that will work well with 45 PSI of air assuming the compressor is at 90 PSI.
If I adjusted the reg to work OK at low pressure it would appear that Cotemar's compressor would just barely make it for me. 4 x .7 = 2.8, compressor makes 3, so for me it would seem that is the max depth possible for that compressor, of course if it gets hard to breathe, come up to it breathes easy.
I would be always ready for a swimming ascent with any Hooka, all it takes is a tripped breaker, plug come undone etc. and no more air.

For Gods sake don't incur a deco obligation, be tough to do though maybe after a couple of deeper Scuba dives, you could do it that way.

I just use mine to do work on the boat too. I think I have a 60' hose
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 13:44   #108

Community Sponsor

Hookah ,DIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
I have a standard Honda 2000 which Cal Air says is not adequate. Also have a big battery bank with only a 4000W inverter which I might be able to use. Wondering what you guys that have one can add from real world experience.
A Honda 2000 watt generator should have no problem running a California Air Tools 2010A or 2010ALFC

California Air Tools 2010A compressor uses 8.5 amps
California Air Tools 2010ALFC compressor uses 7.6 amps

Honda 2000 has an AC Output of 120V 2000W max. (16.7A) 1600W rated (13.3A)
Old 22-01-2017, 14:20   #109

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Thanks for the replies on depth, guys. I don't have any particular depth requirements. . . . Just curious about the limits of the system. I'm imagining some spearfishing and general underwater sightseeing.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 14:38   #110

Boat: Brewer 12.8

What about using LLDPE tubing? It would costs a lot less even with additional connectors.
I'm not looking to use the system for anything other then cleaning the bottom. I'm PADI certified so if I need to go deep I'll put on a tank.

Lightweight, flexible, non-toxic tubing for operations requiring extreme resistance to acids and alkalis
LLDPE for resistance to chemicals, corrosion, and impact
Shore D Hardness rating of 50 for resistance to abrasion and stress cracking
Operating temperature range of -76 to +140 degrees F
Meets FDA and NSF-51 standards for food equipment material

This lightweight, flexible, non-toxic tubing is chemically inert and suitable for manufacturing operations requiring extreme resistance to acids and alkalis. It is made of linear low density polyethylene (LLDPE) which is lightweight, flexible, and resistant to chemicals, corrosion, and impact. It has a Shore D Hardness rating of 50 for resistance to abrasion and stress cracking. It has an operating temperature range of -76 to +140 degrees F and meets FDA and National Sanitation Foundation NSF-51 standards for food equipment material. This red tubing is suitable for food and beverage, laboratory, and chemical processing applications, among others.

Plastic tubing is used to transfer liquids, air, or solids, and it is characterized by a round, rectangular, or square shape and a hollow center. Plastic tubing is crimp-resistant and varies in bend radius (flexibility), chemical resistance, wall thickness, durometer hardness, and temperature and pressure handling abilities. The clarity of plastic tubing may be transparent (clear), translucent (semi-clear), or opaque (solid), and the tubing's coloring may indicate suitable applications. Barbed fittings are used to connect tubing or redirect flow in a fluid handling system. Plastic tubing is used in a wide variety of industries, such as agriculture, automotive, laboratory, and medicine. Applications for plastic tubing include blood and fluid handling, peristaltic pumps, electrical and thermal insulation, analytical systems, and food and beverage handling, among others.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FMWWV8...buying_options
Bristol 29.9 #49
Stephen Fascian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 17:21   #111

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Hookah ,DIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
A Honda 2000 watt generator should have no problem running a California Air Tools 2010A or 2010ALFC

California Air Tools 2010A compressor uses 8.5 amps
California Air Tools 2010ALFC compressor uses 7.6 amps

Honda 2000 has an AC Output of 120V 2000W max. (16.7A) 1600W rated (13.3A)
My question was based on this Amazon page

This is the blurb from the page but you need to click on the question answers to find the blurb

CAUTION!! --- WARNING!!!!

This customer is using this product INCORRECTLY and NOT as described in the manual.
Please Read the Owners Manual before using

1. Only use this product with an extension cord that is 14 gauge and NO Longer than 25 feet.
--This customer was using 100 feet extension.

2. Use only with a 3500 watt (low harmonic distortion) generator.
--This customer was using a 2000 watt generator.

That is why I was interested in real world experience using a 2000 watt generator.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 10:44   #112

Community Sponsor

Hookah ,diy

a64pilot had recommended using a swivel.

Thanks, so much as the swivel is a great little upgrade.

Here is the before without swivel and after pictures with swivel.

A seller had them on ebay for $25, free shipping.

360 Degree Swivel Scuba Diving 2nd Stage Octo Regulator Adapter

360 Degree Swivel Scuba Diving 2nd Stage Octo Regulator Adapter - USA Seller | eBay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1290032.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	140340   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1290035.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	140341  

Old 29-01-2017, 11:37   #113
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I love the swivels for cave diving as I can keep the hose right up against me. No danglies in cave diving. However they are an additional point of failure but for Hooka diving worst case just do a swimming ascent no big deal.

As people who work on boats we are all very aware of voltage loss with too small a wire and how that can cause an electric motor to overheat and fail. I have to think that is why the admonishment on extension cords.
Generator wise, they are not all created equal. I assume their concern is from cheap lawnmower powered generators that likely will never meet their rating and have poor voltage control.
The little Hondas are in a league of their own. Mine were dead stable in both voltage and frequency. I would not hesitate at all with a Honda.
The big danger though is carbon monoxide, make sure the compressor is away from the generator and not down wind
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 11:57   #114

Boat: Hunter 41

I hopped over to this thread via a link from Cotemar who had responded to a thread regarding a portable dive tank compressor. I like the rig Cotemar built and appreciate all the pics and info provided. The cost is covered with just one season of bottom cleaning (and, we live-aboard in MD not the tropics). I also wish I'd had a hookah rig on board when we wrapped the dinghy painter around our prop shaft this past fall. Free diving under the boat to cut it loose got a little exhausting.

A bit off topic but any suggestions on ways to get or keep good leverage when bottom cleaning? I've used one of those window carrier suction cup things to clean along the water line and they either slide around or pop off. Anyone use a guide rope to hold onto while cleaning the hull? I also think it'd be safer cleaning while out at anchor than in the marina... have seen some electric lines occasionally dangling in the water. Thanks.
JD-Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 12:19   #115
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 12:35   #116

Boat: J/42

You know, I went to make one of those last summer and our Home Depot doesn't even carry plain old red rubber plungers any more. Just weirdly shaped stuff that wouldn't work. Had to send away for one. Weird.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 13:27   #117

Community Sponsor

I like the way you think fstbttms.

Your Hull Cleaning handle is a sweet piece of KIT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hull cleaning handle.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	141472  
Old 17-02-2017, 15:44   #118

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

That's hilarious, and supremely ingenious. I'll be making two tonight.
You could sell those.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 15:48   #119

Boat: J/42

I also saw a unit almost exactly like that at the tool rental counter, and I had to ask about it. Could they be renting cool bottom-scrubbing devices now? No... it's their bathroom key keeper.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 05:02   #120

Boat: Hunter 41

Thanks fstbttms

Sweet... a simple and elegant solution
JD-Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote