Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2019, 09:25   #91

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: History of dinghys and a deep think on why we like RIBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You can row the tinnie, that's a plus, and it will last longer -- no tubes to wear out. That's another plus. But everything else . . .. . and does it have flotation? If you got swamped with a little sea running, you would kind of be at the mercy, even with flotation.

They have foam under the seats, so they float if swamped. If you look at the photo, you can see that the seats are boxes, rather than just benches -- that's why.

It is my experience that the 16' versions have considerably more freeboard and seakeeping ability than the smaller ones. This seems to be true across makers.

I used to have a 16' "tinnie" (though no one here ever calls them that) that had a deck over the bow, back about 3-4'. That helped with head seas. We had it out on larger lakes (several miles across) and were chased ashore by storms on various occasions.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 23:22   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Well, I don't think quality hypalon RIBs need to be replaced every 2 years.
I wasn't suggesting a RIB shouldn't last more than 2yrs. I was responding to the implication that because super yachts use them, they are a good idea.

If you replace the RIB every 2yr (like superyachts), durability is irrelevant.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 23:28   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Our Gemini aluminium hulled 3.5 m RIB weighs 47 kg according to the mfg. I suspect that it is one of the lightest around for its size. Very sturdy hull, now in its 16th year of full time usage. On its third set of tubes

All this talk about how fragile and heavy RIBs are is silly. There may be some poorly made ones out there, but they ain't all bad!
I'll give a partial pass on the burning (partial because aluminum won't burn in normal usage).

But you are on your 3rd set of tubes in 16yrs.

My Dad has an old aluminum 16' boat in the back yard that's 40-50yr old...we beat the tar out of it as kids...zero maintenance and if perfectly functional...if I drug it out of the brush that's grown over it.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 01:53   #94

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I wasn't suggesting a RIB shouldn't last more than 2yrs. I was responding to the implication that because super yachts use them, they are a good idea.

If you replace the RIB every 2yr (like superyachts), durability is irrelevant.

I see.

Well, I've had various inflatables over nearly 30 years of cruising. Some were better than others, but none of them had a useful life of less than maybe 10 years, even in the Florida sun. The tubes are certainly a wear item, which adds to the cost of ownership, and everyone will have to decide for himself whether it's a big deal or not.

My present Avon 310 Lite will not be as durable as the last one, but it's holding up pretty well. I guess it's probably 7 years old now (I bought it used), and looks more or less like new. I'll need to paint the wooden transom at some point, but the tubes are in great shape and don't lose any air. It helps a lot to use them carefully and avoiding abrading the tubes on anything. Also as I discovered -- it's not good to leave them in the water.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 09:10   #95

One thing that hasn’t quite been mentioned is that the pontoons extend aft of the motor. This adds a large amount of protection to the hull.

Jammer you need to go cruising and experience things for yourself. What works for me may not work for you. There are so many people cruising. Their needs and desires can be very different. Budgets, where they are cruising, and length of cruise can also be very different. My cruising has changed dramatically in the last 3 years.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 09:25   #96

For us, a dinghy with planing speed with 4 aboard, soft sided, fuel locker, flat floor, was the basic requirement. Longevity is enhanced with dinghy chaps that keep the UV off the tubes, and one the best additions is the inflatable dinghy boarding ladder https://www.defender.com/product3.js...207&id=1505987
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 09:26   #97

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
One thing that hasn’t quite been mentioned is that the pontoons extend aft of the motor. This adds a large amount of protection to the hull.
Pontoons aft of the hull might protect the engine, not the hull. The hull on RIB's isn't the weak link, it's the tubes.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 10:16   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
Pontoons aft of the hull might protect the engine, not the hull. The hull on RIB's isn't the weak link, it's the tubes.
Might protect the hull of the mother ship though.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 10:52   #99

What RIB brand is the best bang for the buck?
Pilot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 12:59   #100

I've been cruising for over 30 years. I've had inflatables (deflatables), hard dinghies (tippy and fragile), and life rafts (just short of worthless and often dangerous) . My requirements are: easily hold a lot of weight, able to row into waves and wind, able to sail w/o a lot of refit work, able to motor,
(but not plane as I don't want to get so far out that I couldn't row home, self contained (safety gear, fishing gear, mast and sails, oars, etc etc with me all the time), able to take a lot of abuse with minimal damage, works as a fully functional life raft (that I can sail out of trouble instead of bobbing around), has an easily deployed full lifeboat enclosure, and saves me the initial and recurring cost of a flimsy life raft with its useless equipment.
I did extensive research and have owned a Portland Pudgy for about a decade. It meets all the requirements perfectly. Nothing else even comes close. And my life raft cost me $600 per year to re-pack, so after a few years the Portland Pudgy completely paid for itself. Best of all, as I use it everyday, I am familiar with it, and will be efficient in an emergency. And I don't have to worry about a shark biting it, and eating me after it sinks (life raft).
Doek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 14:56   #101

I can’t say enough good things about the RIB we have. While I love a rigid sailing dinghy it’s just not currently practical for our cruising lifestyle with kids.

With the Rib I can pack 5 people and all our day gear and head out across the banks at 40mph. The weight a RIB can safely handle is incredible. They are robust. Our Caribe DX13 is about 10 years old and still looks new. Never had an issue at all and it’s been through a lot.

I see the sailboat as a way to get my dinghy places where we can explore. A solid dinghy would not work for us. But we keep a fiberglass sailing dinghy at home for the pleasure of it. The kids are becoming masterful sailors and racers with the dink. The wife and I can drape ourselves across the gunwhales with a couple of road pops and head a hundred feet offshore for a sunset cruise.

There’s no better fun than a sailing dinghy but for an all around robust cruising workhorse there’s no substitute for a quality made RIB with an oversized 2-stroke outboard.
refuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 22:36   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
[edited for brevity]
...dinghys on the brain...
[edited for brevity]
We like the latest dinghy by Dashew for their FPB78, aluminum with replaceable RIB-style flotation-bumpers.
We would add push-bars to the bow.
We would keep the console and the banister.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 09:49   #103

Fun thread. Thanks to everyone.

I had an inflatable, gave it away and am building a Chesapeake Nesting Pram. Can't say yet which I'll like better but I'd like to add one consideration into the mix; aesthetics.

Inflatables are generally as ugly as sin and at best, hardly memorable. Ok so is a diesel engine and many of us have and treasure them, but you won't find many paintings or photographs of inflatables hanging on the wall or used as screen savers.

Does anyone but me care what a tender looks like?

Mark B.
mqbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 10:28   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqbenedict View Post
[edited for brevity]
...aesthetics.

Inflatables are generally as ugly as sin and at best, hardly memorable. Ok so is a diesel engine...many paintings or photographs...on the wall or used as screen savers...
I thought the same about diesel engines, then I slack-jaw drooled over the motor-yacht AVIVA engine room and its pair of MTU 4000 M73L V-16 works of art.

[800x600 photograph won't load. Bummed!]
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 10:48   #105

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqbenedict View Post
Fun thread. Thanks to everyone.

I had an inflatable, gave it away and am building a Chesapeake Nesting Pram. Can't say yet which I'll like better but I'd like to add one consideration into the mix; aesthetics.

Inflatables are generally as ugly as sin and at best, hardly memorable. Ok so is a diesel engine and many of us have and treasure them, but you won't find many paintings or photographs of inflatables hanging on the wall or used as screen savers.

Does anyone but me care what a tender looks like?

Mark B.
Don't care about sinks looks or lack thereof. It is a transportation device, nothing more . I did buy a Walker Bay 10, used, and am adding their Hypalon Tube kit which provides a ton of stability and still. keep the plastic boat which can be dragged on rocks, sand and coral without issue. There are makers of generic PVC tubes. Might consider seeing if you can add those to your design?
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, history, rib