Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2020, 05:56   #1

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Highfield CL vs UL Dinghy

Am considering swapping dinghy's, to a Highfield CL310 or UL310. Like the lighter-weight aspect of the UL model. However, one of the issues we have with out current Avon Lite RIB is that my wife has difficulty stepping up over the bow tube onto the boat. The CL line has that nice storage box in the bow that would address that. The UL has some kind of platform up there, but it looks like it is a little aft, so wouldn't be as useful as a step off.

Anyone have the UL that can comment? Cannot find any pictures on Highfield's or retailers website to see this. Would love to see a pic if anyone has one.

Finally, I have a really sweet Yamaha 8 hp 2 stroke. Probably only a 200 hrs on it, and been garage kept when not cruising. Wonder what the chance it that it would plane the UL310 with two adults? It makes our Avon 310 Lite fly with two, but that boat weight 95 lbs and it has a much flatter "V".

TIA

Michael
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 09:06   #2

Boat: Beneteau 361
Re: Highfield CL vs UL Dinghy

I have a UL310. Great dinghy but your concern is valid. What is not really apparent from Highfield's literature is that the tubes have larger diameter than most other boats, making the dinghy quite "deep", especially in the bow area with the deep "V" bottom. My UL does not have any box or a "platform", not sure if you can get that as an option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3175.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	225206  
skalashn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 11:15   #3

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalashn View Post
I have a UL310. Great dinghy but your concern is valid. What is not really apparent from Highfield's literature is that the tubes have larger diameter than most other boats, making the dinghy quite "deep", especially in the bow area with the deep "V" bottom. My UL does not have any box or a "platform", not sure if you can get that as an option.
Thanks for your input. Here is a brochure for the new UL310. You can see the platform in some of the pictures. That said, it looks like it is a bit aft of the front tube, so you would still be stepping up from the floor, and not the platform. Almost looks like the sole purpose of the platform is to hold the gas tank forward.

https://www.highfieldboats.com/wp-co...ralite_Web.pdf
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 11:31   #4

Boat: Beneteau 361

They must have added the platform recently. My dinghy is 3 years old and does not have it. It could make getting in and out easier, and definitely a good place for the gas tank.
skalashn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 15:16   #5

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

Yep, we have an Apex with the UL layout. My lady gets to her knees or her rear when getting in. Our buddies CL 310 is very nice and what I would get.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy