Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2020, 18:20   #1

Highfield 20" transom

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at a new Highfield 360. I can get a good price on a tender that is in stock but it has a 20" transom. I wasn't aware you could get a small tender with a tall transom.

I don't like the thought of the longer shaft just due to the extra effort to lift and store the engine. Although after looking at the size of all the new 4-stroke outboards I don't think I'd be inclined to lift the engine on off the dinghy anyway. All of my experience has been with two-stroke engines and they are considerably smaller and lighter than the 4 strokes.

I do like the idea of the taller transom to reduce the possibility of getting water over the transom.

The dinghy will spend most of it's life on a trailer under cover in New England. It will only be launched one the days I don't feel like waiting for the harbor launch to get out to the boat and will be used for a few weeks a year doing some coastal cruising in New England.

The main reason for looking at a new dinghy is to get something easier for my wife and daughter to operate. The dealer said the reason they order the tenders with the 20" transom is because engines with power tilt/trim are available and some customers are looking for that option.

I had always planned to keep this as simple as possible but am now considering getting the 20" transom so I can get the electric start and power tilt for my wife. If I have a battery I'd probably throw a small bilge pump in there as well.

What does everyone think? What am I missing.

Thanks,
Kevin
kevincook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 18:33   #2

Re: Highfield 20" transom

The Highfield Classic 360 has a 15” transom, the Sport model has a 20 so perhaps that’s what you’re looking at. Even starting at 9.8 you can get power tilt on 15 inch motors. If I were you, I’d get what I really wanted and not what somebody happened to have today. You’ll be living with it a long time.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
The Highfield Classic 360 has a 15” transom, the Sport model has a 20 so perhaps that’s what you’re looking at. Even starting at 9.8 you can get power tilt on 15 inch motors. If I were you, I’d get what I really wanted and not what somebody happened to have today. You’ll be living with it a long time.

Ken
Ken,

The CL360 is now available with either transom. Take a look at the pictures below.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CL360 brochure.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	412.6 KB
ID:	228248   Click image for larger version

Name:	CL360_1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	228249  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CL360_2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	228250  
kevincook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 14:08   #4

Ok, but my point was - get what you really want. It sounds like you didn't really want the 20" but might settle for it anyway. You don't need the 20" transom to be able to fit a motor with power tilt.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote