Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2021, 09:39   #1

Help with Used Avon Dinghy Value

Hi everyone,

My wife wanted a new dinghy so we have one on order. I have two older Avon inflatables that I am going to sell and I was hoping someone could give me an estimate on what might be a fair price. Both are in good condition and have been used in New England for their whole life.

The RIB usually sat on a trailer and was used 1-2 weeks per year while coastal cruising. The larger inflatable was usually stored in the basement and saw less use than the RIB. Sometimes I would bring this boat on our cruise and leave the RIB at home.

1987 Avon Rover 3.80
&
1990 Avon RIB 3.50

I have attached a couple pictures. What do you think each is worth?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1987 Avon 3.80.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	233004   Click image for larger version

Name:	1990 Avon 3.50 RIB.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	419.0 KB
ID:	233005  

kevincook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 18:17   #2

Re: Help with Used Avon Dinghy Value

Hi Kevin. Can I please ask you a question about the 3.8 with wood floor.

when you take the wooden floor out, is there a glued in board that goes across the keel just aft of the inflation valve ? I have the same model and desperate to be Sure if one should be in there or not. thanks
I paid $800 for similar boat.
Avon-rib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 18:47   #3

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

30 year old fabric is fully depreciated, ready to fail at any moment. I would feel guilty trying to sell for more that one hundred bucks,,,,,,less how much it would cost to transfer title and register.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 19:16   #4

the hypalon fabric of a 1990 Avon is not depreciated. If anything it is made better than some of the later years, and will far outlast a brand new PVC boat. These old boats hold their value to people that know what they are worth. People that repair boats will tell you.
I Just seen a 1974 zodiac 14ft here for for $1500. There was a line up to look at it, came with a same year Johnson not running well so most value was in the boat.

I actually use a 1988 achilles boat and have purchased a 1990 Avon boat like this, the heavy duty fabric is like new, and the wooden marine wood floor is probably better quality material than you can even by now.

these boats don't "age" from the years like people with little experience think. they age from the UV rays or use. There is some models where the glue fails over time, but there is the same in fibreglass or whatever.

This fabric is not "ready to fail at any moment" just isn't. This boat may still go for 20-30 years for all we know. Some of the original hypalon boats are still going. You probably shouldn't act so sure about something you don't know about as you are wrong.

Talk to some repair people, or experts in inflatable boats.

Look at some Avon Seasiders forums to see how old and beat up some of these are when someone puts a little elbow work into restore. and look at the prices.

PVC on the other hand.. well UV takes that out eventually, just like a pVC pipe.
But hypalon with the neoprene and nylon interior, well my friend go inside of a army surplus and check out how long good material can last..
Avon-rib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avon, dinghy