Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2019, 07:43   #1

Boat: Pearson 28
hard starting Mercury outboard

I bought this motor used from a good dealer. 2013 Mercury 4HP. It runs perfect. The problem is it locks up when I pull start it. Talked to the dealer and he said there is a hydra lock or something and I should pull the cord slowly full cycle than start it normal.. Well sometimes it works fine but a lot of the time the lock stops the cord short even after I have cycled it through. Than It takes a LOT of short pulls and the motor has actually started on a slow pull or even a short pull. If I pull the cord slowly it doesn't lock up. I'd have to say 70% of the time it causes me problems.. Other times it's perfect. The dealer is a ways away from me so before I drive back there does anyone have any suggestions.
windcree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:48   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: hard starting Mercury outboard

You may be stopping at Top Dead Center. Pulling through will get you off TDC, so that you can get a long pull. You may also have a lot of compression, a problem others wished they had.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:06   #3

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB
Re: hard starting Mercury outboard

Not sure if this is applicable to the smaller outboards, but on my brand new 20 HP Tohatsu (also builds small Mercurys) there is a compression release mechanisms built into the pull start. You pull out part way slowly then quickly for real pull. Trying to pull it without compression release almost break your arm.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mercury, outboard