Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2017, 05:13   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Handling Dinghy Outboard

Starting second season using my new smaller lighter dinghy (Avon Lite RIB 310) and smaller lighter outboard (Selva 8hp).

I am still loving very much, having so much less weight in the davits. The lighter dinghy is vastly easier to handle than the old one (wheel-steered 25 hp 3.4 meter RIB). It's terrific being able to fold it up for ocean passages.

But I'm still struggling a bit figuring out the optimum way to handle the outboard.

The 8hp Selva only weighs 27kg (about 60 pounds), so is fairly luggable, but it is extremely awkward manhandling it off the dinghy from the swim platform -- I feel like I could easily stumble and drop it into the drink. So I have been using a halyard for a safety line, but that only makes the process even more awkward.

I had an outboard crane on my previous boat, and that is obviously the easiest way to deal with the outboard. But I am greatly loathe to add more windage-inducing carp on my boat, after working so hard to make it go well upwind.

So is there a third way? What are others doing? Maybe the way to do it is with a block and tackle slung from the boom? Tie the dinghy up alonside the mother ship, haul the boom out, lift (could be done single handed), then get back on the mother ship, pull the boom in, and carry the outboard over to the rail.

What do you guys think, and what are you doing?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 06:03   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Handling Dinghy Outboard

When I'm not feeling like lifting our 5hp off the rail onto the dink, we use the mizzen sheet tackle just as you describe. It's actually easier single handed, as too many hands makes a mess of it.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 06:20   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 44i SO

I got a 3 foot pole (3/4 inch EMT) that I mounted a stern pulpit clamp on one end (old grill clamp) and a pulley on the other. Mount it to the stern pulpit right next to the outboard mount, run a line to the outboard, over the pulley and back to a winch. Tales about 3 minutes to set up, and just take tension on it with the winch, loosen the outboard clamps on the dinghy and winch it up. Reverse to mount back on dinghy. Never worry about dropping it, scratching the gel coat, or damaging the dinghy or outboard. Cost to build was under $20. I saw one with a curve in the top and two C clamps to mount on the pulpit. Made mine with a straight pole and just set it at a bit of an angle as I had the old grill clamp. Weight is not really the issue, just awkward handling. Stows easy in a cockpit locker.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 06:38   #4

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I got a 3 foot pole (3/4 inch EMT) that I mounted a stern pulpit clamp on one end (old grill clamp) and a pulley on the other. Mount it to the stern pulpit right next to the outboard mount, run a line to the outboard, over the pulley and back to a winch. Tales about 3 minutes to set up, and just take tension on it with the winch, loosen the outboard clamps on the dinghy and winch it up. Reverse to mount back on dinghy. Never worry about dropping it, scratching the gel coat, or damaging the dinghy or outboard. Cost to build was under $20. I saw one with a curve in the top and two C clamps to mount on the pulpit. Made mine with a straight pole and just set it at a bit of an angle as I had the old grill clamp. Weight is not really the issue, just awkward handling. Stows easy in a cockpit locker.
Any chance of pictures? Sounds like an easy, elegant solution...
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 06:46   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Can you not use one of the davits to perform this function? Even if it means a seperate (detachable) block & tackle expressly for this purpose. At least as far as moving the OB vertically from the dink in the water, up to the level of it's rail mount. And from there either swing it to the mount via brute force, or with a guy line.

Plan B:
An easy way to "mount" a pole is to drill a hole in the deck, & fit a glass sleeve for the pole that's either anchored via belowdeck's composite gussets or knees to the transom/hull sides. Or to the inside of the boat's bottom. And done right, you can put a piece of UHMW Poly at the bottom of the hole for a "bearing". In addition to designing things so that this pole socket drains out of the transom via gravity. So then it's pretty much a maintenance free system.
Well, other than periodically inspecting the pole hoist for stress cracks, etc. And replacing the line on it's block & tackle.

You can even make the crane (pole) a 2 piece affair. With a vertical component, & a removable horizontal one. So that it disassembles into even smaller parts for stowage.

One thought though, is that some people like to build such things quite strong, & keep them rigged in the event of an MOB, to aid with recovery.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 08:22   #6

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Dockhead, the Garhauer outboard motor davit rests on a ball mount and clamps to a rail. It is designed to be easily removable so it need not add any windage or clutter when you are underway.

https://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=41
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, outboard