Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2019, 21:41   #76

Re: getting the outboard on the dinghy

I don’t like using a halyard, either main or spin, because on my boat and most others I suspect, it would be a three man job: one on the halyard winch, one at the stern or side to guide the motor down to the dinghy and one in the dinghy to receive it and position it on the transom.
Boom doesn’t work either on most boats because it is too short and won’t reach anywhere near the stern where the outboard is usually stored.

Usual solution is either stow dinghy on deck and put the motor on before launching, or some sort of crane. I made a simple, cheap, lightweight and removable crane by attaching a three to one purchase to the end of a four foot pole. The other end had a pivoting bolt that fit into a hole in the push pit. Stowed in the lazarette when not in use.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 22:52   #77

Boat: Nordic 44

Many of these answers are ignoring the original posters situation. It is a 30 foot boat and a 40 pound engine. What is the freeboard of that particular boat and how difficult is it to deal with 40 pounds in that situation.

The engine will not have to be lifted too high on a 30 foot boat. And if someone can't move 40 pounds in three steps - rail mount to lifeline or side deck, lifeline or side deck to dinghy floor and dinghy floor to dinghy engine mount I question their ability to set the mainsail.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 13:31   #78
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey877 View Post
I don’t like using a halyard, either main or spin, because on my boat and most others I suspect, it would be a three man job: one on the halyard winch, one at the stern or side to guide the motor down to the dinghy and one in the dinghy to receive it and position it on the transom.
Boom doesn’t work either on most boats because it is too short and won’t reach anywhere near the stern where the outboard is usually stored.

Usual solution is either stow dinghy on deck and put the motor on before launching, or some sort of crane. I made a simple, cheap, lightweight and removable crane by attaching a three to one purchase to the end of a four foot pole. The other end had a pivoting bolt that fit into a hole in the push pit. Stowed in the lazarette when not in use.
My wife and I can easily move a 200 pound 40hp outboard around anywhere on the boat, including off the stern using only the topping lift halyard, I don't understand why it would require three on your boat and present so much difficulty.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 14:49   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
My wife and I can easily move a 200 pound 40hp outboard around anywhere on the boat, including off the stern using only the topping lift halyard, I don't understand why it would require three on your boat and present so much difficulty.
One on the halyard winch at mast, one guiding the motor around the boat and over the transom, and one in the boat. Which one do you dispense with??
Old 12-03-2019, 15:44   #80

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
One on the halyard winch at mast, one guiding the motor around the boat and over the transom, and one in the boat. Which one do you dispense with??
It's easy: Ann at the mast, me moving the motor from stern to midships, leave it dangling alongside over the dink, me climb down into dink and guiding motor onto transom as Ann eases halyard.

Under calm conditions, I've occasionally done it on my own. Requires running the fall of the halyard over to the rail and cleating it where it can be reached from the dinghy. Much more work, running back and forth a couple of times, but do-able in a pinch.

Jim
Old 12-03-2019, 15:55   #81

Boat: Tartan 37

40lbs just do it by hand, with someone on the boat using a safety line. We're much older and lift a 60lb outboard by hand. Most use cranes with bigger OBs, like 15 and up. Don't use a halyard and most booms are useless off the back of the boat...unless you're a yawl or ketch.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 16:11   #82

Okay, you win😀😀. Two can do it, although on my boat I would have to move the dinghy amidships as you suggest. However, I still like my portable crane for lifting or dropping the motor from the stern. It can also be operated by one from the dinghy if necessary.
I like your midships idea though because that is where the gate in my stancheons is and makes boarding easier than trying to get past all the stern hamper onto my swim grid. I will give the halyard method another try. Other boats with walk through transoms probably find the stern loading easier.
I suppose the takeaway for the OP is that as with most things on a boat, there is no one size fits all and to each his own.
Old 12-03-2019, 18:45   #83

Boat: Islander 32

I struggle every time....I see the wife trying to get the outboard into the dingy. I try to help by telling her, lift with your knees keep your back straight, one hand for the ship one for yourself and so forth. I' thinking about getting her a newer 2.5 Honda for Christmas, the 9.9 is getting hard to start. Anyhow she's not much of a rower!
Old 12-03-2019, 19:30   #84

Quote:
I made a simple, cheap, lightweight and removable crane by attaching a three to one purchase to the end of a four foot pole. The other end had a pivoting bolt that fit into a hole in the push pit. Stowed in the lazarette when not in use.
Do you have a picture of this? Sounds interesting.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 06:41   #85

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The other day on a rather rare calm day someone was rowing a rib past our boat, his motor was up. I was about to get In my dinghy and go offer to tow him and noticed he was using some rather long, rather nice oars, then I noticed his butt was moving fore and aft.
He was obviously rowing intentionally, and had outfitted his RIB with good oar locks, good oars and even a rowing seat.

However the thing still was barely moving, even with someone that knew what they were doing, with good oars etc.
Apparently a RIB just can’t be made to row worth a crap, if you want to row, it’s going to take a good hard dink to do so it seems.

However I have seen several that choose to row, and a good rowing hull, with someone that knows how to row, just from observation seems to do at least as well as a RIB with a 2.5 hp outboard.
Just like sailboats vs planing powerboats- you really can't be a great lower power (eg light air sailing, rowing, displacement trawler) craft and an efficient high speed planing craft with same hull.

I wish I could meld both of my dinghies (Trinka 10 rowing/sailing dinghy and RIB with 15 hp) but really have to choose which one to take before setting out. Each does it's thing very well with minimal overlap in strengths, other than that both float.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 08:12   #86

Boat: Lagoon 450

Get an outboard hoist from Kato Marine. I’ve had one on several boats. They are around $600. Easy to install. Great for outboards, dive gear, heavy groceries, etc.
capnkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 08:32   #87
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnkev View Post
Get an outboard hoist from Kato Marine. I’ve had one on several boats. They are around $600. Easy to install. Great for outboards, dive gear, heavy groceries, etc.
The Kato lift looks like a good solution to the Op’s original question.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 09:02   #88

Boat: Millkraft 54 (16.48m)
Send a message via Skype™ to mstr_cmdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The tremendous difference is astonishing, makes one wonder how a RIB can plane.
I guess from excess HP.
Money and horsepower will shift most things.
mstr_cmdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 09:54   #89

I use a manual hoist and a harness. Works great and doesn’t take up a lot of room. Here are some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8DC0C17A-AC11-4073-B18E-153E4C56EFEA.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	421.7 KB
ID:	188077   Click image for larger version

Name:	0EA5930F-053E-40E0-865F-B2E8057C55D3.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	188079  

ElVikingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 10:59   #90
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

We have high topsides and an undercut transom on our 32 foot boat. We also reckon the stern rail was too busy for the Garhauer crane which we loved on our old boat.

We have a small 3 hp Tohatsu outboard which doesn't weigh much, but as observed by others, even a light motor can be a pain to raise all the way to the stern rail.

Our solution was to divide the problem in half - we installed a Garelick EEz-In 2 position outboard motor mount so it could be (theoretically) used to power the boat when lowered, at the port side of our stern boarding ladder. In theory if the inboard engine fails, it might be enough to get us out of trouble, although a hip tow from the dinghy would probably be more effective.

When raised, it makes a good place to put the engine which can be securely locked. Standing on the boarding ladder we can easily take the engine down to the dinghy (with another person holding a safety rope!) as it it only at chest height. It is also easier to get the engine off at the dockside if needed.

This solution probably doesn't appeal to people with intentions of crossing oceans, but you can always bring the engine all the way up and tie it down on deck.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, outboard