Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2021, 05:46   #46
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Gas can ‘Safety’ spout fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
+1

That's how I do it! No muss, no fuss, no spills.

A shaker siphon is the same, but better.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:01   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
I respectfully disagree; see my post on the change of heart a few comments above.

My cans leak not a drop, inverted, full, and when I lift it off, they stop in the same fashion.

If what you're buying (apologies if you're not in the US, but presume the issue would not be present if you weren't) doesn't do that, get a spout and cap from Scepter or Midwest Can; both of those, I can say from regular use, will not drip; admittedly spillage might be a product of imprudent management of where the spout is at the time you activate it, but otherwise, other than overfilling, there should also be no spills...

Link to identify; search Scepter EasyFlo spout or click the 'where to buy': https://www.scepter.com/products/con...cessory-spout/

Here's a video of how to use the Midwest Can version, but they're functionally identical:

See my description of how to use either, if the video isn't sufficient, or what's happening isn't clear...
I have used that can. It is a PITA. It takes two strong hands to depress the release catch. It takes two hands to maintain the release or the very strong spring will snap it closed. The full can is too heavy to invert while holding the spout open so you spill. The handle is badly placed for pouring. If you try to get it into a flush deck fitting or into the top of a pitching dinghy can you will either spill or release the auto close spring. Any flush deck port is real trouble.

The issue not yet noted is that the handle on top, all of these cans, is OK for carrying but totally useless for pouring. There needs to be a side handle near the balance point and a hand grip in the bottom of the can.

Many of us are 70+ and may have arthritic hands. I can’t hold a ski rope any more. Opening that release requires pliers for many of us. I used to just throw away the spring. Now I replace the junk nozzle.
Nicholson58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:33   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Actually, the physics is quite clear. Whether or not it works or not is another matter. When you pour liquid out of the gas can into a tank the vapor in the tank is displaced (has to be, basic physics). And as the gas can empties it needs a gaseous phase to replace the liquid (again basic physics). The volume of gaseous phase that must exit the tank being filled, and the volume of liquid from the can are equal (again, basic physics). So, if you can swap the liquid in the can for the gaseous phase in the tank then no outside venting is required, you're transferring an equal volume of liquid from the can and vapor to the can. That's why, on paper, it could possibly seem like a good idea

The spouts in question are actually divided (somewhat like our own noses, which we seem to spite quite well), liquid is supposed to come out of the can through one "nostril" while vapor goes back in through the other. Again, sounds reasonable in theory....
Classic case of the law of unintended consequences. These cans meet the govt mandate but the mandate forces them to circumvent the intent of the mandate.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:39   #49

Shaker Siphon Hose: s 5ft. length of hose with a copper fitting and marble on one end. Insert that end into the gerry can, shake up and down a few times and siphon starts.
I have no idea what safety codes these may contravene or comply with, but I have been using them for decades. I keep one for gas/diesel and another for water.
If the hose gets stiff with fuel use, replace with any half-inch hose of any length.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:29   #50

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
I respectfully disagree; see my post on the change of heart a few comments above.

My cans leak not a drop, inverted, full, and when I lift it off, they stop in the same fashion.

If what you're buying (apologies if you're not in the US, but presume the issue would not be present if you weren't) doesn't do that, get a spout and cap from Scepter or Midwest Can; both of those, I can say from regular use, will not drip; admittedly spillage might be a product of imprudent management of where the spout is at the time you activate it, but otherwise, other than overfilling, there should also be no spills...

Link to identify; search Scepter EasyFlo spout or click the 'where to buy': https://www.scepter.com/products/con...cessory-spout/

Here's a video of how to use the Midwest Can version, but they're functionally identical:

See my description of how to use either, if the video isn't sufficient, or what's happening isn't clear...
That's great for filling a lawnmower, but on my boat, I couldn't get the jug close enough to use that spout because of obstructions.

It's also pretty difficult to hold a filed, five gallon jug of fuel in a certain position for as long as it takes to empty the entire jug.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:43   #51

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatswing View Post
I have found the “No Spill” brand available on Amazon & at most power tool vendors locally are robust and easiest to use. Not the cheapest but simple /effective. Comes in 1, 2.5 &5 gal. sizes.
I second this opinion... the "No Spill" brand with the pushbutton release has worked quite well for me, and seems light years ahead of the brands with the odd spring mechanisms on the nozzle... just reversing those nozzles inevitably spilled gas.
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:49   #52

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Orion 27

This brand seems to work well for me, but if you need a long nozzle, I can see where there might be a problem.

genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:52   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Amazon sells no BS, no spill spouts that allow you to bypass the difficult to use EPA approved spouts.

Obviously the EPA never field tested their own spouts.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:56   #54

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatswing View Post
I have found the “No Spill” brand available on Amazon & at most power tool vendors locally are robust and easiest to use. Not the cheapest but simple /effective. Comes in 1, 2.5 &5 gal. sizes.
+1 for the No Spill cans. Use mine regularly to top off the dinghy tank, which shares the bow locker with a bunch of stuff I don’t want to get gasoline on. I have a single paper towel in hand in case there’s a drip or two when I pull the spout out of the tank-fill opening, but usually don’t need to use it.

For transferring from jerry cans into the boat tanks, I find siphoning with a plain clear hose easier and faster than a jiggler siphon. Just insert one end into the can, other end into the fuel fill, cup your hand around the hose and jerry can neck opening, take a deep breath, and blow into the can to start. Fuel flows faster and than with a jiggler, and fewer drips/seeps to catch or clean up when you’re done.
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:48   #55
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Total control, no awkward movements, fits all geometries:

Just put the hose in the filler, and squeeze out as much gas as you need, even just a few mls. The hose rotates back to vertical when finished. Yup, that easy.

Old 02-09-2021, 10:21   #56

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
That's great for filling a lawnmower, but on my boat, I couldn't get the jug close enough to use that spout because of obstructions.

It's also pretty difficult to hold a filed, five gallon jug of fuel in a certain position for as long as it takes to empty the entire jug.
Point taken. I cheat and rest the weight on the edge of whatever I'm filling into. I'm therefore merely balancing once placed.

I also 'get' that filling from some distance above would be problematic. Some form of fill pipe/deck fitting would be appropriate in those circumstances, as I can't imagine that any jug which couldn't operate (turning space) with the no-spills to also couldn't work even with a straight nozzle, without some form of attachment for an extension hose...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:52   #57

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
How many times have you cursed your California Gas safety spout?

Check out the many YouTube videos on how to fix this. I used EZ-Pour from my local Farm & Fleet store. They fit all of my cans including the addition of a breather vent.

I have done a bit more research and found several others. Some offer the feature of reversing the assembly for storage inside the can.

I went with these cans for my sailboat. I recommend them 100%.

https://www.amazon.com/VP-Racing5-Gallon-Racing-Utility/dp/B00AVQC01U/ref=asc_df_B00AVQC01U/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=344004303287&hvpos=&hvnetw= g&hvrand=12223282701056985088&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqm t=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033835&hv targid=pla-406164068313&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=70731225313&h vpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=344004303287&hvpos=&hvnetw=g &hvrand=12223282701056985088&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcm dl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033835&hvtargid=pla-406164068313
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 14:58   #58

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

No personal experience with this version but it looks interesting.

Tags
safety