Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2013, 08:45   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 27
Full size folding bikes

What's been your experience with full size (26") folding bikes? I had an old Fuji that I really liked but it was stolen in Marsh Harbor. The Montagues look nice but they're quite expensive. I'd be inclined to go with one of the cheaper ($200) bikes and replace it when needed. I'd like to know what others have found.
midnightmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 09:03   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Full size folding bikes

Folding bikes are hard to store on a boat (which I guess is not news to anyone).

I find the 20" ones to be the best compromise between storage volume and ridability. I have one expensive Dahon Jetstream EX with a full suspension which is brilliant -- other than riding down hill at high speed (which is scary), it rides just like a high end road bike. And one el cheapo used Dahon 20" aluminum folder. They are hard enough to stow; I can't imagine what I would do with a full sized one.

I guess on a Cape Dory 27 you are limited to deck storage in any case, right? In that case, maybe you could just use regular bikes, non-folding? The only trouble with non-folding bikes is transporting them in the dinghy; but for that a full size folder will also be difficult.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 09:07   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 27

I would be storing the bike on a Pacific Seacraft 40.
midnightmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 11:25   #4

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightmail View Post
For short distances I'd use roller skates. They are smaller and not likely to be stolen. I used them to get to West Marine from Fajardo about ten miles. You need to be in shape, and carrying croceries is difficult. But on any thing less than a 32' , they are easier to store.

These are the ones I use they clamp on your shoes and they are light.

http://www.skorpion.com/

Good luck.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 16:55   #5

We have 24 inch Tern folders on our 37 cat. These are expensive but almost like riding full size bikes. Terns are nice quality bikes.
kona74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 17:13   #6

Boat: Clark, San Juan 23
You might look for Bazooka Navigator. I found two used on eBay for $300 each in great condition. Full size, full suspension, 21-speeds, folds into a canvas bag.

Specs here, no longer available new. http://www.bazookasports.com/navigatorsoldout-p-4.html

Standard shimano components and other standard parts. I've been pleased with mine.
fadarnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 17:21   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightmail View Post
If you hope to store them below somewhere, then I would look at 20" folders, if I were you. Two of those occupy around one cubic meter of space when folded, which is d*mned hard to find even on a 54' boat, much less a 40' boat, which will have about one-third of the interior volume. Full size (i.e., 27" or 700cm) will take up much more space, and will be hard if not impossible to transport in the dinghy.

All this sounds gloomy, but bikes on board are wonderful. There is nothing more ridiculous than sailing hundreds of miles to get somewhere, and then you can't explore that place in any way, and you end up seeing nothing more than the town quay before it's time to sail on to the next destination. So I do think it's worth some trouble stowing them.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 00:12   #8

Hello,

I have a wisper electric bicycle with a lock equivalent to locking a big motorcicle plus lock on the front wheel.

Every were i go i lock it with a tree .

Cheers

B
Hatteras37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:34   #9

Boat: Able 50

Careful with the $200 ones. They have steel frames.

Mine's a Dahon Espresso. You can get better but you'll pay $1000+. I'm happy.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:48   #10

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadarnell View Post
You might look for Bazooka Navigator. I found two used on eBay for $300 each in great condition. Full size, full suspension, 21-speeds, folds into a canvas bag.

Specs here, no longer available new. Navigator-(Soldout) Silver Bazooka Navigtor mountain foldinig bike bicycle . [Navigator] - US $695.00 : Folding Bikes,, Collapsible Folding Mountain Bike, Hybrid, 3-Speed Cruising Bicycle Cases

Standard shimano components and other standard parts. I've been pleased with mine.
The Bazooka Navigator is a Chinese bike sold all over the world under about 10 different names. This is almost the same bike with the same frame but slightly different specs on the gears.

Amazon.com: Columba 26" Alloy Folding Bike w. Shimano, Red Color (RJ26A_RED): Sports & Outdoors
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:51   #11

Boat: Privilege 37

I have a montague - nice bike, but one of the compromise's has the pedal clearance reduced compared to a normal bike. It is a hybrid so not as good off-road, as a proper mountain bike, and not as good on-road as a good road bike.

It takes longer to fold than most of the small wheel folders, but 26" wheels are much better comfort than tose little ones, and tyres are easily available (even studded ones for use in the snow and ic)
Old 18-03-2013, 13:30   #12

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.

There are a number of things you can look at too.

Gunnar makes great bikes and equipped right you can have a full sized bike on a frame that packs up small;

Custom Options

Love Bike Friday;

Bike Friday - Custom folding and travel bicycles hand-crafted in Oregon

How about a Tandem bent that goes in a couple of suitcases?

Barcroft Cycles: Low Fast Comfortable Elegant

My wife and I have done a century on one of these and they are sweet.

My Bacchetta Strada will fit into a snowboard case minus the wheels.

You can spend some serious money on bikes but like anything else, you get what you pay for.

I was thinking of some day getting a frame from RANS with S&S couplers, bike fits in small ish bag and drag the wheels along loose. hmmmm
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 14:07   #13

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I had a Montague for several years on a Crealock 37. It was the style more like a conventional bike, not the design they have now. I liked it better than a Dahon style folder. Kept it in the quarter berth in a bag. Wound up selling it when we moved up to the Bristol. Now I carry a Cannondale no suspension Mt. bike, wheel off in the v-berth. Inconvenient, but I like a real bike. When riding on rough roads I am always concerned about pot holes that could consume smaller wheels. I would get another Montague without much hesitation.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 14:10   #14

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I love mine:
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 14:29   #15
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Plenty of cruisers, including Don Dodds (Modern Cruising Under Sail) use non-folding bikes. I find them more convenient and they are much better bikes.

No taking them down the companionway, ready to go. Just keep them oiled.
Sail Delmarva: How to Carry Bicycles Without Origami

They can go below if need be; with the wheels off they take little more room than a folding 26" bike and weight less. Wrap them in an old sheet and throw them on an un-used bunk.

Tags
size