Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2011, 09:11   #1
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington
fuel bladder

I m think of getting a fuel bladder instead of jerry cans for passage making. I would be interested in anyone's experience and recommendations.
rdw
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 10:48   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: fuel bladder

Friends delivered my boat from the PNW to Lebanon.
10 months...14,000 miles...three bladders...no problem at all.
The bladders were stowed in the bilge and looked new at the end of the trip...no evidence of chafe (full keel, no pounding ).
I don't recall what the brand was as it was a long time ago (2003 to 2004) and I gave them away to a fellow cruiser who was stuck in Leb. during the 2006 "war" with holed main tanks and only a small day tank.
They can be difficult to handle (when stowed in the bilge), especially when trying to refill your main tanks through the deck fittings.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 19:13   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: fuel bladder

I sold a lot of them in the eighties. The customers would buy a big bladder tank, a #410 chart and pay with $20 bills. Seriously they do work well. Just give some thought to chafe protection and securing them. I've heard of one guy who put a big bladder tank on the bow of his big sport fish boat. He tied it with light lines. When he got into a bit of sea, it rolled off. There he was in the open ocean with most of his fuel floating in a big balloon next to him. That's a good story whether it's true or not!
Reverso sells some really nice gear pumps to transfer fuel. Don't buy it from their web site, buy from a dealer to get a better price.
Reverso Diesel Transfer Pumps

Tags
fuel