Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2021, 06:20   #1

Folding Scooter Dinghy?

I've been looking at some folding dinghys lately, such as this ( https://www.woodenwidget.com/fliptailinfo.htm )

I liked the idea of light weight, but the soft bottom seems like it would rip too easily... and it doesn't seem like it would float if swamped.

In one of their videos there was a guy who did a commute with it. Taking along a folding bike and bike trailer.

That got me thinking, why not use the structure as an electric bike? And make the bottom foam filled fiberglass panel? And the center keel a larger foam fiberglass keel? Then use hypalon as the fabric (instead of the above example of PVC)

Then add some wheels to reinforced struts that come down and small electric motors (maybe chain driven from the central hub? though seems more complicated).

Anyhow, just thinking about it at this point. Is there anything like this that exists already? Seems like being able to use your dinghy as a basic e-scooter would be realllyyyy useful. Or maybe it's just a stupid idea hah

Ivory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 07:25   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Folding Scooter Dinghy?

The basic problem with combination transportation, such as car-airplanes, is that they don't do either job very well. An automobile light enough to fly is not a good place to be in an accident, and folding wings get in the way.

So, probable best answer is to build/buy a really good folding boat, if your space needs prevent your buying/building a much better boat that does not fold. Buy/build a really good e-scooter. Carry it in the boat.
Old 16-09-2021, 00:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory View Post
I've been looking at some folding dinghys lately, such as this ( https://www.woodenwidget.com/fliptailinfo.htm )

I liked the idea of light weight, but the soft bottom seems like it would rip too easily... and it doesn't seem like it would float if swamped.

In one of their videos there was a guy who did a commute with it. Taking along a folding bike and bike trailer.

That got me thinking, why not use the structure as an electric bike? And make the bottom foam filled fiberglass panel? And the center keel a larger foam fiberglass keel? Then use hypalon as the fabric (instead of the above example of PVC)

Then add some wheels to reinforced struts that come down and small electric motors (maybe chain driven from the central hub? though seems more complicated).

Anyhow, just thinking about it at this point. Is there anything like this that exists already? Seems like being able to use your dinghy as a basic e-scooter would be realllyyyy useful. Or maybe it's just a stupid idea hah

I have been thinking of making my dinghy easier to take from car park to the water using a boat ramp.
I have my challenges in sailing as I am a walking paraplegic after a flying accident.
But I am an able guy and I do not rely on strangers help.
So I got dinghy wheels for my inflatable 2.4m old Zodiac.
Now I have been using the dinghy like a trailer behind my van to take it to and from the boat ramp.
But yesterday I lost a good car park near the boat ramp so I need to find a way to go longer distances with my dinghy without using my van. Always worried reversing my 2wd van to the ramp if it is slippery and I could slide to the water?
I have an idea. Maybe I can use my 3-wheeled kick scooter like 5-th wheel combo?
My scooter has no motor but if it had, it could work easy?
If I make some sort of tow attachment over the rear wheel of my scooter, it would work for short distances but I would not ride that combo on the streetsClick image for larger version

Name:	20210425_084841.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	245394Click image for larger version

Name:	20210614_110117.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	245395
Stellar1970Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 00:34   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Great idea in areas where dinghy dockage is highly restricted.
Old 16-09-2021, 01:24   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory View Post

I for one think it's a great idea. Unlike the flying car thing, we don't need for the dinghy to be a great boat (our dinghies are pretty compromised already), nor does the scooter need to be a great cross country motorcycle.

It seems to me that the challenge would be weight though.

Tags
dinghy