Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2010, 21:54   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401
Fixing 3" Cut in Hypalon RIB

I have a 10 year old hypalon RIB that is on its last leg but i'd like to try and make it last a little longer. My biggest problem is the 3" tear I just inflicted on it. Most of the solutions I have found for this type of damage is to do an inside and outside patch. The tear is on the top of the aft tube so no seams or handles to deal with.

As I mentioned the dink is in rough shape with the fabric showing at various spots on the boat. I was going to apply a coating like tuff-coat or polymarine and see how long it lasted. When I spoke to the local repair shop he said that their glue would not stick on the areas where the fabric was exposed and the repair would not be guaranteed...... he was also trying very hard to sell me one of his new boats.

1. Has anyone had any success with a repair similar to this ?

2. What if I took a larger piece of hypalon fabric and glued an extra large patch on top. Would it hold? I noticed good comments on the SC-2000 glue.

3. Has anyone heard of installing some sort of inner tube or air bladder in the chamber. I have an inflatable kayak that works like this, I wonder if it would work for the RIB. Found this website in the UK but I'm not sure if its the same type of boat or not. Inner tubes

Any other suggestions? I even heard of filling it with foam with little success.

I should be looking at buying a new one but....

Thanks
Acadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 22:29   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Funny you should mention this.... but...

'Lil Dink is 12 years old and has done one and a half cricumnavigations and she requires extra care.

6 months ago we over pumped up the tubes and then pulled her up on a beach in the tropics and went to town. She blew a hole about 6 inches long in the top of the tube where its, as yours, through to the fabric.

Yesterday we pulled her up on deck and I've had to rip the leaky patch off and replace the whole patch.

I have 2 part hypolon repair glue, but this time I've gone the full shebang: 3M 4200 Fast Cure - the junior version of 5200. I have been saving the glue for some importnat job. This is it.

It still takes 24 hours to cure.

The goop in the tube is extreemly think and hard to push out, but its like some sticky toothpaste! I put a hugely think layer and sank some fine plastic mesh like felxible fly wire into the glue and then a fabric patch (not hypolon) over the top.

I still have the stuff all over my hands and it just wont come off at all.

So give me another 24 hours (making 36 hours curing) and I'll tell you how I go

I also picked up a tube of Bison Liquid Rubber and 2 weeks ago put it on her worn tubes where the fabric is coming through. Thats seems to be doing the trick! Its like aq new plastic surface and should help keep the real surface for a bit longer.

The mesh supplied with the liquid rubber is what I used in the 4200 patch.

We are trying so hard to keep 'Lil Dink going till we can get back to the Caribbean and retire her.

I hope this helps

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 01:09   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Acadia, yes the repair shop is taking the mickey. Hyperlon is good for 20 years so as Mark suggests use a two part glue and a nice large patch. However are you sure it is hyperlon and not Upvc? Her is how to tell the difference:

Boat Fabric Guide « Polymarine Paints, Adhesives, Parts & Accessories

The pressure inside an inflatable tube is quite low 2-3 psi so we are not talking bicycle tyre pressures here. you could do two patches, one small to hold it in position and inflate gently then a much larger patch across the whole area for strength. Since its 10 years old presumably you are not worried about looks so go for a big one.

The glue is contact glue, so you only get one chance to place the patch on and you must use very thin coats of glue.

Although this is a UK site, Polymarine sell world wide and have a good rep:

Polymarine Paints, Adhesives, Parts & Accessories

Forget the Gemmi Industries website, lots of complaints this side of the pond.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 09:14   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401
Thanks for the input. Since my other option for the boat is the dump, I may as well try to patch it as much as I can.

MarkJ -- Seems like we have a similar task on our hands. Thanks for your input and let me know how it goes. I think I am going to try the hypalon patch with hypalon glue first as I have a shop to work in that I can control temp and humidity.
Let me know how your repair went!

Pete7-- I was looking at that polymarine glue as well as their coating. And you are right, I don't care about appearance so I'm going to patch her up like an old pair of jeans.

I might start a new post on this but I've been reading that some people prefer that heavy duty conveyor belt cement SC-2000 over actual Hypalon cement. I'm not sure if it's because of the critical humidity/temp requirements for the hypalon glues or that the SC-2000 actually holds better?
Acadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 10:52   #5

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Acadia, With a aging dink, you might want to take a look at the Tear-Aid web site...
I bought some just to keep for temporary emergency repairs some years ago and and have used for all kinds of emergency and temporary repairs (some became permanent) I know
that they have a A and a B product,don't know if they are both compatible with hyperlon.
Good luck... Hugo
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 19:08   #6

Hello Mark,
When my brand new Achilles dinghy arrived I couldn't wait to strap on the engine and take it across to a friend's Nordhaven trawler, on arrival at his boarding ladder (which was hinged) the dinghy's port tube slid nicely under the hinge which was sharp - cutting a foot slit along the top of the tube. Oh! damn **++++****!!!!!.
The Achilles repair kit that came with the dinghy had a large Hypalon patch but not nearly enough adhesive for the repair.
I had plenty of Gflex® epoxy from West - so roughened up a 2inch border around the slit; cut patch to fit; Mixed resin with hardener and applied to both surfaces. Put on the patch and left it to cure, before final cure - pumped up the repaired tube and rolled a bottle filled with hot water over the patch.
5 years later no leaks, no patch edge lifting .
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 19:15   #7

Boat: Nantucket Islander, 38
I use 4000, it's similar to 4200 but UV resistant -- just cover the tear with it and you'll be in business, I have a 20 + year old hypalon dink with fabric showing in places and live in oyster/barnacle prone waters works great, I've stopped even really using patches
brianontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 22:35   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
brand new Achilles dinghy ....port tube slid nicely under the hinge which was sharp - cutting a foot slit along the top of the tube. Oh! damn **++++****!!!!!. .
Owch! Don't ya jus hate that? Glad you fixed it ok but that would have been quite upsetting!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 05:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
but that would have been quite upsetting!
Your command of of the English language is commendable !!!!! (even for an Ozzie !)
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 10:24   #10

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
So for these BIG tears in Hypalon, no one is using patches to the underside as some recommend?

I just got a 4 inch and 2 inch tear in my Caribe.

That patch repair kit at West Marine for $69 seems primitive to me.

Anyone have any luck with it?
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 10:34   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i had to use neoprene to repair the inside material then hypalon for the outside. use the2-part glue. follow directions and use acetone or mek to clean the material prior to gluing the patches. good luck. let dry completely before using-- 24 hours. minimum. i give it a lil extra time then i inflate 'n' use... no mo problems. worst marine repair kit is for tiny ice pick kinda spots.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 10:44   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i had to use neoprene to repair the inside material then hypalon for the outside. use the2-part glue. follow directions and use acetone or mek to clean the material prior to gluing the patches. good luck. let dry completely before using-- 24 hours. minimum. i give it a lil extra time then i inflate 'n' use... no mo problems. worst marine repair kit is for tiny ice pick kinda spots.
Where did you purchase the glue?
Neoprene was necessary on the underside?
And was it tricky glueing a patch from the inside?

Thanks
Old 19-02-2011, 11:15   #13

downwind marine has it --i know they do online biz--is a special glue for hypalon. works freat as directions--as k for those also-- they have them-- are particular. have to be followed closely.
the neoprene is messy== do it first-- inside inside-- put glue on both sides and hold in place for a bit--is hard to clamp this. good luck. tricky and messy. then do the outer skin-- you will have a new boat again.. works great and outlasts dink. if it doesnt, you can take me out to dinner.
619-224-2733. tell them i sent ye-- they know me as karen. tell them i sent you for 2 part glue for inflatables and the instructions, and for a length of the hypalon and neoprene , if they have that . go for it. is a good place. if they dont have it they will refer ye--let me know how it goes..i will razz'em righteous for ye.....have known them since 1995. good friends, for a business.
Old 19-02-2011, 14:07   #14

Thanks,

One more thing, why neoprene?
Should I do the same or can I use Hypalon (for the inside patch)?

My fabric is in good shape except for the clean rip.
Old 19-02-2011, 15:07   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
Thanks,

One more thing, why neoprene?
Should I do the same or can I use Hypalon (for the inside patch)?

My fabric is in good shape except for the clean rip.
the well made hypalon dinks were made of a layer of neoprene then hypalon on htat. you want to fix the neoprene so there is no hernia in the integrity of the tube. is a double layer of material with the inner layer being neoprene and outer hypalon. sneaky bastids.....

Tags
rib