I know this has been beaten to death, so I'll try to make this specific. Weights in pounds (LBS).
I'm looking for a 38-42 ft cat, used. In that search, I was reminded that I needed a fairly large dinghy
with a fairly large outboard
to do the type of cruising I want. So here goes.
- transport to/from spearfishing/freediving spots
- 2-3 (freedivers), with spearing gear
- I will not be rowing or sailing it.
- It is not (only) a grocery getter.
- I need to get to the outer reefs
, or even island hop with it.
- It needs to have room for our gear
, and a decent sized cooler.
I was thinking a 10-12' Livingston with a 15-20HP 2-stroke Yamaha, but I'm worried about weight on the davits
and if I have to pull it onshore (to tie it a tree so it doesn't "float away"). Boat
(~100), fuel/etc (~100) - it gets over 400 pounds really quickly.
400 pounds is pushing the limits on a Leopard
(~350) and is near unmanageable to pull onshore (think 50 feet of sand between me and the tree I need to chain my dinghy
Am I missing something, or have I completely overcomplicated this?