Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2017, 09:37   #16

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Fender whips; how important is the spliced loop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
We use pre-sliced fender whips, fed through the center of one of our fender styles. Lets us use the loop on one side, as for hanging on a cleat or whatever, when that's useful... but the lines are also long enough so we can usually tie whatever knots or make any bends that are necessary.

I mis-remembered some details. Our pre-spliced "whips" are actually 15' x ½" double-braided dock lines. After the splice, real length is about 13'.

The ½" diameter is a bit of over-kill, but also adds to the stopper knot bulk for our set of four pass-thru-the-center fenders. The splice at the other end acts as a stopper from that direction.

-Chris
Old 28-09-2017, 10:36   #17

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
The guest experience will be no doubt be enhanced through the use of Stu's clips !!
Not a bad idea. I never ask guests to deploy fenders because one out of five times they tie it on with some rat's nest of something that vaguely approximates a knot and takes five minutes to undo.

One reason I don't like tying onto the lifelines is that I've seen too many bent stanchions from a fender getting stuck under the edge of a dock with a rising tide, or similar. Just today saw a boat at the dock with one bent stanchion and the other with the base pulled up from this. On floating docks I'll do it, but otherwise I'm nervous about it.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 11:30   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Forget the eye-splice and just teach everyone to tie a clove hitch on lifelines or toe-rail. The clove hitch is, beyond doubt, the weakest hitch known to man, but in this one case it is perfect - fast to do and undo. If you must leave for a while, add a single half-hitch. I also favor double-lines for horizontal use, and thicker than the standard 1/4" / 6 mm lines as they're hard on the hands.

I've not thought about injury to the stanchions - happens?

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fender, import