Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 06:45   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Felt Fender Covers

"carsten, there's this relatively new invention: the washing machine.... "
tamif, do you remove the covers to washthem every day, or just have the boatboy hose them down with fresh water every morning?
I ask because if you are in salt water, the salt crystals that form in the covers, every day all day, are abrasive. So even if you leave the cover on for a week before washing, you are still leaving sandpaper on the hull. Very pretty sandpaper, but sandpaper. Best left for the "eight coats of varnish" high maintenance folks.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:10   #17

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Generally I carry a 9mm Baretta when I throw my Bruce anchor off the front end of my Hunter -Oh wait - sorry wrong thread

I have the same experience with salt - unless you wash a lot - leave them off

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:14   #18

Boat: contessa 32

I agree w Carsten. Just one more thing to keep you busy and interfere with real sailing time. My other objection to covers is that they often drip salt water into the cockpit ( or decks) when retrieved and this salt ultimately gets on clothing and thereby gets transferred below .
Over time everything becomes salty and damp (sticky ) below, in lockers etc..Sure, salt comes on board many ways, but if you are alert to them your cruising boat will be a more comfortable live aboard.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:19   #19

carstenb,

the other caveat is that the plastic will scratch too, hence the covers.

My very nicely AwlGrip-painted trimaran got a rather nasty sore from another trimaran who insisted on using HIS (uncovered) fenders, not mine, when we had to raft up at a race. I was livid to say the least. In any case, the other guy's fenders were old or brittle or scratched or had sand embedded, or something but it rubbed a hole in my paint damn near to the gelcoat.

btw I have these weird things for the trimaran - they're rather like a closed cell foam block, So-Pac I think they're called.

Edit:
Waitaminit... you people don't think salt cakes on uncovered fenders? I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell to y'all
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:34   #20

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Tamif27

Yes salt does cake on uncovered fenders, but is easily rinsed off (more easily than washing them). Moral of your story about rafting up? Trust noone, or their equipment. I don't mind rafting up, but i do it my way, with my equipment. I once had a guy tie his 42 footer up with mooring line that was rotting and one fender that was flat. He couldn't understand why i felt that was not enough and got insulted when i put 4 fenders over the side and tied him up with my line

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:02   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

When there is significant rubbing force uncovered plastic fenders can also leave dark streak marks on your hull. You need acetone to take these marks off.

In my new slip we can only tie up on one side (it's a double-wide slip that we share with another boat). This means that our fenders see a lot of force and motion. Most people in the marina use fabric covers to avoid the streaking. The fabric is also softer than the plastic, so any grit or salt is less likely to do a hard scrubbing on the hull.

In my previous marina I could tie up port and starboard, so the fenders were usually hanging in mid-air. I would only bring the boat snug to the dock when loading and unloading. Covers were seldom seen in that marina.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 19:56   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

This company manufactures Fenda Sox brand fender covers.
AERE Docking Solutions - Featuring Inflatable Fenders, Fenda Sox Fender Covers, Air Pumps and Inflators, Inflatable Catamarans, and other Marine Accessories
They have a very nice fabric and offer them in green. They will also embroider your boat name or logo on them.
I'm a dealer for them and I'd love the chance to quote you. Even if you don't buy them from me, I suggest you take a look at them. I think they are just what you are looking for.