Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2021, 11:26   #1

Boat: Allweather 26
Epropulsion Generating Power

I am looking at an epropulsion outboard for my dinghy. The new model will charge the battery when towing the dinghy with the motor down. I know this is frowned upon both towing and leaving the outboard on the dinghy let alone leaving the outboard down. I build my dinghies and we always tow. We have a 26' 5-6 knot trawler and there is no place for a dinghy onboard. Our cruising is all inside waters in Southeast Alaska. So my question is not to discuss dinghy towing generally but the possible effects of leaving the outboard down ie drag. The outboard generates just under 100 watts at 6 knots. This is pretty cool but I don't know if it is practical. The alternative is removing the battery and charging from the mothership using the 12 volt system or an inverter. The outboard runs on 48 volts.
fritzdfk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propulsion

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: