Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2017, 08:55   #16

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Emergency Tiller... Can I use a broomstick and a wad of chewing gum?

Juicy fruit, hmmmm
Personally I'd have a custom one made, super bomb proof. When you need one it's probably urgently. Anything with "emergency" in its name should be extra beefy imo.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 09:13   #17

I am a strong advocate of tiller steering in small boats. I am a strong opponent of wheel steering in small boats. 27 feet is small. So is 30 feet. A wheel totally discombobulates some very valuable real estate in small cruising boats and is NOT necessary in order to cope with the forces required to steer a small boat.

However. the arrangement you show for the "emergency steering" in your Hunter is SERIOUSLY mickey-mouse. You need a tiller five foot long. Six feet is better, if the length of your cockpit will accommodate it.

You can't do much about the arrangements at the head of your rudderstock, but you can use the quadrant to advantage. I am budgeting $3K to convert TP from wheel to tiller. The tiller in my case needs to have a stock on the inboard side of the transom and be connected to the existing rudder quadrant by cables leading from trammels on the new tiller stock.

Do the math on the basis of the measurements you can take in your boat and determine how much torque your wheel steering is capable of transmitting to the rudder stock. Then design your new TILLER system so that via a tiller of a length you can accommodate in your cockpit, you can generate the same (or greater) torque on the rudder stock.

Designing your tiller involves, as you say, a recognition that broomsticks and chewing gum would not be up to the task. Ash (hackmatac to Americans, I believe) is an appropriate wood to use for the tiller. Teak is not :-)! The tiller's cross section must be determined with regard to the leverage it has to exert on the fitting at the head of the rudder stock/tiller stock, and the fittings attaching it to the head of the stock need to be more substantial than would appear at first sight. A 3/8" SS bolt through a hole in fitting and stock just won't cut it! The stock head ALSO needs to allow for the tiller being lifted and swung up against the backstay when you are not under way.

Have fun :-)

TP
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 09:40   #18

Boat: Hunter 28.5 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Thanks! I've read that thread before and bookmarked it.
Old 21-04-2017, 10:57   #19

Boat: 1 off, Composite, Longkeeler with centrecockpit, Ketch, Launched 1960, 49 ft.

Sorry guys, but you all seem to overlook something. The OP has nothing but a hole in the deck coming up from the rudderstock with a diameter far bigger than any tube he might use. If he sticks a tube into what is there, the thing just wobbles around and there is no way of using lines and blocks and winches with a short tiller arm and using it by hand is the same misery.

He needs kind of a bearing in the opening through which to feed the tube for the emergency-tiller! This doesn't need to be something sophisticated for emergencies only, he could use a piece of pipe with a flange welded on, 4 holes for screws to screw it down with a backing plate underneath, and the inner diameter not more than a Millimeter wider than the tube he's gonna use. Shure, a proper bearing would be much better, but this way he's at least got a cheap option to use his emergency-tiller in case he needs to!

Fair winds
Dody
Dody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 11:15   #20

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes. It is that typically wobbly Hallberg Rassy method.

PS Do add a bearing of sorts at the top - we did for a HR46 I worked on.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 13:26   #21

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

The end of my rudder stock is squat and protrudes into the cockpit. The emergency rudder fits over it. But it's a short handle and I've never actually tried to steer with it. I'll give it a try this summer but suspect the result to be unsatisfactory

Tags
emergency, enc