Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2019, 12:56   #16

Boat: Beneteau first 26
Re: Electric Paddle ("EP Carry") outboard... anyone using one?

Water lubrication in sea water is not wise .
Anyway since there are always cheaper alternative
Old outboard body + Chinese 1000 watt motor and controller (200 euro ) + outboard bracket 50 euro and wheel chair batteries (somebody stated 100 us ) put them.together and you have a durable electric outboard and a hydro generator .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 15:27   #17

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I don't understand the real difference between EP Carry and my MinnKota.

I have two 12v riding lawn mower batteries approx $30/each with a Saltwater Riptide long-shaft MinnKota < $300 pushing my 10 foot inflatable. The motor slides or tilts up for shallow trolling. I've been using it for years and done zero maintenance. One battery lasts about 90 mins. The other battery gets me home.

Soon I will mount a small solar panel/controller for recharging the batteries without lifting them onto my sailboat deck.
Old 31-03-2019, 21:51   #18

Boat: Gulf 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
I don't understand the real difference between EP Carry and my MinnKota

Total weight?
Old 01-04-2019, 04:37   #19

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
I don't understand the real difference between EP Carry and my MinnKota.

I have two 12v riding lawn mower batteries approx $30/each with a Saltwater Riptide long-shaft MinnKota < $300 pushing my 10 foot inflatable. The motor slides or tilts up for shallow trolling. I've been using it for years and done zero maintenance. One battery lasts about 90 mins. The other battery gets me home.

Soon I will mount a small solar panel/controller for recharging the batteries without lifting them onto my sailboat deck.

The battery system and charger?

I didn't look closely at the EP Carry, but my first thought was that I wish these kind of bubbas would use a voltage/battery/charger already developed by somebody like Milwaukee or Ryobi or whomever...

-Chris
Old 01-04-2019, 06:35   #20

Boat: Scout 30

This sounds like the perfect motor for a sailing dinghy. Very light at around 14 pounds & both the motor & battery are waterproof. Cool!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 15:18   #21

Boat: Sabre 30

My wife wrote a piece about a test we did of the EP for Cruising World. It's a nicely built and user friendly device if pricey. We got about 2 1/2 hours of full speed use in protected and unprotected Maine waters mostly on a 9' Watertender, somewhat clunky, hard dinghy, also on an 8' inflatable in NJ bay waters, two to three passengers. The separate battery floats in it's compact case. We did not dunk the motor but it seemed well sealed. The charger was like a laptop brick and not as fast as a powertool recharge. There is currently no state of charge indicator and there is full output until it stops. They say they are working on a charge indicator. Nice folks make it and it's more benign looking than Torquedo. If it fits your budget I think it would be a good alternative to gas or propane powered tender power.
ThosTilden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 15:23   #22

Boat: Gulf 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThosTilden View Post
My wife wrote a piece about a test we did of the EP for Cruising World. It's a nicely built and user friendly device if pricey. We got about 2 1/2 hours of full speed use in protected and unprotected Maine waters mostly on a 9' Watertender, somewhat clunky, hard dinghy, also on an 8' inflatable in NJ bay waters, two to three passengers. The separate battery floats in it's compact case. We did not dunk the motor but it seemed well sealed. The charger was like a laptop brick and not as fast as a powertool recharge. There is currently no state of charge indicator and there is full output until it stops. They say they are working on a charge indicator. Nice folks make it and it's more benign looking than Torquedo. If it fits your budget I think it would be a good alternative to gas or propane powered tender power.

Thanks for the input. I had read your wife's CW article but also great to hear specific first hand data. -- Bass
Old 14-04-2019, 21:53   #23

Boat: Beneteau first 26

https://www.goldenmotor.com
A better alternative...
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 23:35   #24

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
Walker Bay 285ST, so hard dinghy with the inflatable tubes around the sides. EP Carry's website claims their motor will get it going 3.5 knots with a full 600# load. Have never had an outboard on it so don't know what a regular Honda 2hp would get it going at, 3.5 knots it definitely faster than I row it

Speed isn't everything but it is a pretty big consideration for me, well speed and cargo moving ability. I'm less worried about range as I don't plan on motoring around for hours at a time, this is more for easy shots to and from shore from the anchorage with gear (going to cabin) or big dog (going to shore to walk).

Torqueedo 1003 is $400 more (not extravagant difference, I don't want to cheap out on this and not get the right thing) but also quite a bit heavier at 31-32 pounds depending on shaft length.

What kind of dinghy are you running your e-propulsion spirit in? I was not familiar with it, looks nice... 42 pounds though, that's a step up in weight for sure. I take it you're happy with it? Where did you buy it? One thing for me is EP Carry is ~2 1/2 hours from my cruising grounds, nice to have a local company if I have issues.

Thanks for the input, I'm seeing there are more options out there than I first thought.
The Epropulsion and Torqueedo are significantly more powerful, so I’m suggesting you try this new model yourself before committing. The epropulsion’s weight is mostly the battery, which shows you the difference in power and capacity. The battery floats, though, and is clipped on to the motor after installation so each part is a one-handed easy lift into the dinghy. Yes I’m very happy indeed with it, particularly that it stows securely below and removes the need for petrol on the boat.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 21:59   #25

I have had one for a short while. I am pleased with it. I use it daily to visit my boat at anchor. I find half throttle is better because the battery charge lasts longer and I don't usually need to get there in a rush. Have not yet experienced very strong currents or wind but expect it to do well and can also row if needed. So happy to no longer carry a gas tank and a noisy obnoxious gas outboard. I still have the outboard if I need to go long distance in a hurry but rarely use it. P.S. In the past I have used a Torqueedo and ended up dropping the battery in the water.
Ya Ubetcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, outboard