Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2015, 19:55   #1

Boat: Tartan 40
Dyer Dhow vs Walker Bay 10

Hi everyone,

I already have an inflatable, but have the opportunity to fix up a very beat up Dyer Dhow 9 footer, or was thinking about the Walker Bay 10. The dyer is a gift, but the time it will take to restore makes buying a new dinghy attractive.
The reason for a rigid dinghy is for routine summer cruising with kids- so they can have sailing and rowing dinghy. They are young and I would rather they not rely on an outboard for all dinghy propulsion.

Which of those is a better tender in your opinion?
We will have davits so towability is low on list of important traits. I am thinking cargo capacity, handling, rowing/sailing, stability.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 08:57   #2

Re: Dyer Dhow vs Walker Bay 10

I can't give you a comparison but I can tell you the Dyer Dhow is a very solidly built dinghy that with tlc will last a lifetime. It's no speedster, but fun to sail and handles 3 adults. Rows fairly well too.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 09:06   #3

The Dyer is an amazing, well built, little dink. I sailed with an 8 footer. The glass layup is perfection, but thin, allowing the boat to be lightweight. The hard chines make it as stable as a hard dink is going to be.
If you got a free Dyer you are lucky, they aint cheap.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 09:11   #4
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Loved my Dyer Dhow.
Sails easy and rows easy.
Had a 2hp Yamaha on the stern and it would go surprisingly fast with it.
Wish I had another one, but not enough room on my CSY 33 for 2 dinks.
The inflatable won out for a couple of reasons.
Bolted an old fire hose all the way around the rail of the Dyer for rub protection, it would bang into the big boat when anchored and no wind.
Also painted the Dyer bright yellow on the inside, lots of dink theft back then in the USVI and easy to spot from the air. (Rented small planes a couple of times to look for stolen dinks from above)
Old 25-01-2015, 09:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Loved my Dyer Dhow.
Sails easy and rows easy.
Had a 2hp Yamaha on the stern and it would go surprisingly fast with it.
Wish I had another one, but not enough room on my CSY 33 for 2 dinks.
The inflatable won out for a couple of reasons.
Bolted an old fire hose all the way around the rail of the Dyer for rub protection, it would bang into the big boat when anchored and no wind.
Also painted the Dyer bright yellow on the inside, lots of dink theft back then in the USVI and easy to spot from the air. (Rented small planes a couple of times to look for stolen dinks from above)
That's funny... I did the same exact thing to my Dyer! We must have read the same book!

Old 25-01-2015, 09:44   #6

Quote:
. That's funny... I did the same exact thing to my Dyer! We must have read the same book!
Possible, not sure if I read a book, or if some old salt recommended it.
It sure helped and gave the Dyer a rugged look as well.
I was brand new in the game back then 30 years ago and listened to good advice. Usually given at some waterfront bar, way before the internet
Old 25-01-2015, 10:27   #7

I had mine in '85.

Old 25-01-2015, 11:08   #8

Yup, same..I had mine from -85 to -88, St. Thomas and St.Croix with numerous trips to St. John and the BVIS,s.
The first 2 years living onboard I could not afford an outboard for the dink so we rowed and sailed it all over, in great shape back then.
Good old days...
Old 25-01-2015, 11:50   #9

Yeah, I eventually had a 2 hp Evinrude. No gears. Simple little beast but not much to go wrong with it!

Old 26-01-2015, 08:51   #10

Boat: Grand Banks 50

I have had 8' Walker Bay for several years. Overall i like it but has it pluses and minuses:

On the plus side
- very light, easy to manhandle as needed
- very stable thanks to the flotation tubes
- rows very well; great tracking
- tows well
- versatile

On the minus
- doesn't plane even with just a kid onboard and a 4 hp outboard
- doesn't sail very close to the wind
- rigging is plasticky and not very robust (my rudder pops-up in strongish winds)

Can't comment on the Dyer Dow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Walker Bay.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	96090  
Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 10:13   #11

hmmm...the perfect dink...i had a dyer dink once, kinda useless...came on our boat, sold it for $1200! bought a noverania 10.5 ft...still good after 20+ yrs! [hard bottom]
back to the subject at hand...yrs ago, i met a guy in alaska, that had the perfect dink! was a 12 ft aluminum skiff, with the bow cut off a little to fit the beam of his boat, welded a piece of aluminum in, to make it look slightly like a pram! just about 11 ft...put some small, about 4 or 6 inch, fenders strung all around the gunnel, etc, was perfect!! went like hell, with a 15hp kicker, could take it to the beach with no barnacle/rock problems, beamy/steady, in sloppy water, etc...[and they cost about half the price of an inflatable]
...clyde
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 12:17   #12

Boat: 1975 NORTHSTAR 80/20 40' KETCH CENTER COCKPIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Hi everyone,

I already have an inflatable, but have the opportunity to fix up a very beat up Dyer Dhow 9 footer, or was thinking about the Walker Bay 10. The dyer is a gift, but the time it will take to restore makes buying a new dinghy attractive.
The reason for a rigid dinghy is for routine summer cruising with kids- so they can have sailing and rowing dinghy. They are young and I would rather they not rely on an outboard for all dinghy propulsion.

Which of those is a better tender in your opinion?
We will have davits so towability is low on list of important traits. I am thinking cargo capacity, handling, rowing/sailing, stability.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
DEAR FELLOW SAILOR:

I have a Walker Bay 10 -10+ years- They wear VERY well. We fitted it with a sail - it is awesome and will teach your kids how to sail. Any error is quickly discovered. You will also need a tiller. It is easily attached and removed. Thru bolt the gudgeon and pintle set. It is easy to row with the choice of oar placements. It is very easy on up-keep and light enough to haul easily onto davits. Suggest a cover if you are cursing off shore. We thru bolted and sealed eyes on the hull to facilitate hauling and securing on the davits.
It will not sink - been there done that, got the T-shirt. Noel was sailing "Toad" into the marina and as he rounded the corner into the marina, the wind caught the sail and I saw him go over. He was quickly "rescued" and when he returned, I asked why he did not let the sheet go. He smiled and said the sheet was on the "butt cleat" It took me a minute to catch on. He was sitting on the sheet. GOOD LUCK - Take Care and God Bless
Capt. Carrole Ward S/V Cassandra
SVCASSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 12:22   #13

Boat: Scout 30

The Dyer is a classic that will not only do everything better than the Walker Bay, it will look better at the same time. Save a classic!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 12:39   #14

Boat: 1975 NORTHSTAR 80/20 40' KETCH CENTER COCKPIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
The Dyer is a classic that will not only do everything better than the Walker Bay, it will look better at the same time. Save a classic!
This may be so - but just how much time and $'s does our friend have to invest? Before Noel passed into sailors' heaven-up there- we restored several dinghies- one being a Dyer - but was much happier with the Walker Bay - I also have a Huff and Puff - but prefer the WB. Each to his own - and we all stay happy and friends. "Different strokes for different sailors" I can't wait to get back to it. Am land locked for the moment- but will go back to my "home" [S/V Cassandra] soon! Take Care and God Bless
Capt. Carrole Ward
SVCASSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 13:02   #15

When I bought my boat I also bought a WB. I couldn't aford the sail stuff so I just had oars. I left for the Bahamas with two hundred dollars and my first social security check coming in two months. Th WB cost me 389. Over the next ten years, I bought a couple motors for it and a sail rig from a Tinker. the only two problems I ever had was sometimes when I got drunk and came back to my boat I would forget to ty it up and it would go wandering. Eventualy the plastic bottom where the centerboard slid through got a couple cracks in it and I would have to bail every so often. otherwise Nice little boat. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote