Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2013, 06:32   #1

Boat: Tartan 40
Dyer dhow opinions?

Hi everyone,
My family has an old Dyer dhow 9 footer which I can have for free. Needs significant work- gunwales are gone, seats somewhat rotten, CB stuck in trunk. That said, otherwise a small fiberglass repair where side "ripped" due to loss of gunwale.

Anyone use one of these as a tender? How do they row, sail, motor, tow (protected waters of course)?

Thanks!
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 15:14   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Dyer dhow opinions?

When I got into sailing, you had to have a Dyer Dhow or you were nobody. I was nobody as I had an Avon Redcrest but really missed not having a sailing dinghy. Always liked the boats though they are not a state of the art high performance sailor but a stable tender with lots of carrying capacity. Still, they sail okay and were the heart of most sail training classes and frost biting back in their day. Biggest issue I've heard is they are heavy so take some thinking about how to launch and retrieve.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 15:44   #3
DWT

Re: Dyer dhow opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Hi everyone,
My family has an old Dyer dhow 9 footer which I can have for free. Needs significant work- gunwales are gone, seats somewhat rotten, CB stuck in trunk. That said, otherwise a small fiberglass repair where side "ripped" due to loss of gunwale.

Anyone use one of these as a tender? How do they row, sail, motor, tow (protected waters of course)?

Thanks!
I have one. bought it with a hole in the side of it for $100.00. Came with CB, Rudder, and everything to be able to sail it in a nice canvas bag.

I have rebuilt the boat a number of times. Sailed it only a few times and like the boat a lot. Have towed it and or lifted it up on the bow of my Morgan. It weighs in at approx. 100#.

At one time had a 4hp 2 stroke that would plane 2 people.

I put a removable seat (I take it out if I'm to tow it)in the center from around CB box to the bow box and have 2 sets of oar locks. The forward locks I use if someone is riding in the stern. the rear locks are for one person rowing.

I have heard nothing but good things about the boat.

Got picture of it but you would have to e mail or a personal message to get them to you.

Best of luck with it.
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote