Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2015, 12:59   #61

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Don't Buy an AB Inflatabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlib2 View Post
The inflatable floor leaked constantly, so I replaced it with a wooden floor. That didn't work too well with leaks around the Transom. Finally sold a 2 year old Dinghy for $100 and glad to get rid of it.
I had a SATURN with inflatable floor. The floor had a half dozen pinhole leaks. After finding them all with soapy water (the kids enjoyed this activity), I patched with TEAR AID TYPE B...just clean, peel, and stick. Easy repair and worked great. Now I always carry a few TEAR AID patches, just in case.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 13:16   #62

Anyone thinking of buying a boat made in Colombia, I would first have your swimming skills evaluated.
cards26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 13:59   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Regarding glue its rather interesting as the original glue used for avon etc was Bostick 2401 This glue was originaly developed to stick de icing rubber trims on propellors. It is very good stuff and a lot of dinghy companies buy this and decant it into little bottles to sell it to the public at silly prices. I believe this has been superseeded by 2402. This sells in the UK for about 23USD a litre including hardener. The only bad points it has is shipping limitations and shelf life linits ! Hope this helps someone
Old 03-12-2015, 02:25   #64

Sent from my LGLS770 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
boater 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:14   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

A useful submission!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldlmeyer View Post

Sent from my LGLS770 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 10:47   #66

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

I am in the market for a new one...my current one has a transom that is gone...is there a list of one's to stay away from...yes i know the PVC's one are not recommended but of those which one are the best...The coast to install a new transom in my Achilles LSI 88 is $550.00 but don't know how reliable it would be.
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 09:34   #67

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

We bought a new AB in 2002 in Seattle, Hypalon with removable FG boards that were supposed to interlock when the dink was inflated. They refused to properly interlock from day one. The dealer said it was a company warranty issue and didn't help (won't be going back there soon). I wrote several times and emailed several times to AB and no response. Not one. I had to use the dink without the front bow board and the rest of the boards were loose because of that.

The tubes seemed high quality and never had a big problem other than the boards. I had to repair one puncture but that lasted okay for as long as I had it. The new boat came with a rigid aluminum hulled AB. It seems to be in good shape except the hull powder coating is almost completely flaked off. I think the new ones are just bare AL. I will keep it but I will not ever purchase another AB.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 12:26   #68

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

Thanks for the info Maggie...I am looking for a new one as too many have said not to trust a repaired on...I am looking a a Zodic pvc and yes i know about pvc but my plans are only for a few more years and if i can protect it from the sun and the u v rays it should last till then....
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 15:42   #69

Boat: 68 tartan 34c

Was crewing on a friends boat, with a new AB aluminum RIB. Woke to find the dink was on walkabout. The stainless shackle was still on the painter. We found dink on the leeward shore. The aluminum loop welded to the bow had a section as wide as the shackle missing. The gap looked like melted butter. The shackle had worn though the poor grade aluminum. No wear on the shackle. This boat was not towed. When traveling it went on the davits. He checked a couple of others when we got closer to civilization and saw the aluminum wearing through. FYI
exkma367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 15:51   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Kivett View Post
Thanks for the info Maggie...I am looking for a new one as too many have said not to trust a repaired on...I am looking a a Zodic pvc and yes i know about pvc but my plans are only for a few more years and if i can protect it from the sun and the u v rays it should last till then....
I have a Zodiac Wave 10-2 with alum floors -perfect at 2.5 years old! Luv it
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 21:53   #71

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
We bought a new AB in 2002 in Seattle, Hypalon with removable FG boards that were supposed to interlock......I will keep it but I will not ever purchase another AB.

13 years old, still serviceable and "would not ever purchase another AB"? Hum.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 22:00   #72

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by exkma367 View Post
Was crewing on a friends boat, with a new AB aluminum RIB. Woke to find the dink was on walkabout. The stainless shackle was still on the painter. We found dink on the leeward shore. The aluminum loop welded to the bow had a section as wide as the shackle missing. The gap looked like melted butter. The shackle had worn though the poor grade aluminum. No wear on the shackle. This boat was not towed. When traveling it went on the davits. He checked a couple of others when we got closer to civilization and saw the aluminum wearing through. FYI

If stainless steel and aluminum are in contact and moisture is present, the aluminum will sacrifice (corrode).

Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 23:14   #73

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprezza72 View Post
New breed looks promising
Offshore Cruising Tenders
I like it, thanks for posting. Another option, is the Spirited Designs - Ripple, mostly kits, but it looks like they are building and shipping a few. The duflex foam 10'6" is 92 lbs.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 02:08   #74
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Robert Mauritius 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agility View Post
If stainless steel and aluminum are in contact and moisture is present, the aluminum will sacrifice (corrode).
Yes, my original thoughts also, blaming AB Inflatables instead of the reaction of dissimilar metals.
Also, if there is any electrolysis on the vessel, the Aluminium would be acting as the sacrificial anode. Even the stainless shackle in the water when boat is alongside and the yacht may be putting out some serious stray current, especially in a marina...

My experience is that AB are a premium quality RHIB, much much better than many of the others out there.
sv_steadfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 03:11   #75

Boat: Liberty 49

I wish I had seen this thread a few months ago. Weight being an issue, I bought an AB aluminium Lammina at the Southampton (UK) Boat Show for delivery direct to the yard in Greece where my yacht is stored for the winter. I haven't seen it yet! I am now worried about dealer and manufacturer support as the dealer is 2000 miles from the boat and it seems AB won't be interested. With luck I won't have any problems but that remains to be seen: I'll try to remember to report back after next season.

Good tip about shackles. Looks like a splicing job using plastic thimbles for the painter and lifting bridle.
captmikecoin is offline   Reply With Quote