Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2019, 17:32   #1

DIY Hooka Owners- filter question

For those of you who built your own hooka rig, what filter setup are you using? Everything else on the setup is either very straightforward or well documented, but filter selection is not.

From prior experience in a different industry, I know of a setup that will certainly work and probably be overkill for $250 US. But if there is a reliable filter system for less than that I'd be interested to hear about it.

For those that feel the need to cite the potential perils of a diy system, please refrain. That ship has sailed.

Thanks!
BoatandBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 18:47   #2

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Re: DIY Hooka Owners- filter question

I do not use a filter. If your compressor is oil free you may not need one. I have not experienced any adverse effects over many years of use, but I only use it occasionally and for short periods when I need to scrub the prop.

Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 19:05   #3

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden36 View Post
I do not use a filter. If your compressor is oil free you may not need one. I have not experienced any adverse effects over many years of use, but I only use it occasionally and for short periods when I need to scrub the prop.

Regards,
Richard.

Ditto. Filter the air going in and the only "contaminant" should be a little water in the receiver which is drained with a small bleed valve.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2019, 01:53   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

Since I used an auto aircon compressor with a pressure switch controlling the electric clutch I needed an air receiver to keep the cycling rate within reason.

The receiver was fabricated from about one metre of 5" OD SS pipe.

The air from the compressor went into the bottom of the receiver where it passed through multiple layers of felt and SS mesh to separate out any oil and water mist and was drawn off the top of the vertically mounted receiver through a felt bag of activated charcoal which was a tight fit in the top of the receiver.

It was a dual use arrangement where the 120 psi air was also used for air tools for the maintenance of a steel boat hence the high volume and pressure. It worked well for both functions and I was able to use a small 1/4" ID hose on a standard regulator mouthpiece for the hookah.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2019, 03:24   #5

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

Before the advent of commercially available hookahs, and oil free compressors, we built a hookah using a Twin cylinder Clisby compressor driven by a Briggs & Stratton engine (Stolen from my mother's rotary hoe used in veggie garden), used some special oil i think from a vegetable source, in the compressor (mineral oils cause Lipoid Pnuemonia if inhaled as micro droplets. From compressor the air went through a copper coil of about 6' in the sea water thence to an oil/water separation filter, thence to a DIY filter containing activated charcoal with sanitary pads on either end, stuffed onto a bit of 2" water pipe, air was always excellent. The frame was made from 2" water pipe, and was use as an accumulation tank. Ran 3 divers to at least 40 meters depth. from memory the pressure was about 130psi. SeaBee regulators with a non return valve worn on the weight belt.
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2019, 05:32   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

I use a regular air compressor filter screw on filter that was in the same isle at store with the compressor fittings.

I don't understand those that don't use a filter. There is going to be dirt and rust in the compressor tank.
Old 27-07-2019, 08:27   #7

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Oil less compressor?

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Diving compressor.jpg Views: 127 Size: 68.5 KB ID: 196686" style="margin: 2px" />
Old 27-07-2019, 12:13   #8

Boat: '66 Bristol 39

I have a unit by 'sink' and does not have a tank, hense no worries about rust and such.
rpjn59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2019, 13:11   #9
Marine Service Provider

$99 oil free compressor will do the job by itself. I put a filter on mine and after 50 or so dives it was totally clean, no oil, no water, no solid particles. Waste of money and time.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2019, 13:41   #10

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Agree....only use a filter now that I am back to a pancake tank style compressor.

When I used a tankless, oil free compressor...never had any issues...but thinking back on it..... the small, inexpensive filter available at LOWES that I have now could have been used just as an extra precaution.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2019, 14:40   #11

Boat: SS34

I use an oil less diaphragm compresser, 12v. On the air intake I have about 50mm of plastic hose with a couple of layers of pantyhose stretched over the end to keep wild life from being sucked in.
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 10:17   #12

Boat: Taswell 43

Following. I use a rebuilt Thomas oil-less direct-drive compressor, and have only a water seperator on the output side. But I only have 1 set of lungs, and they're worth preserving! A filter, even if it collects nothing, seems like a good idea. I'm also really interested in what everyone uses for an air-reservoir. I tried a 1-m length of heavy wall 4" PVC pipe with a cap on each end......at 110psi it blew apart, sending bits everywhere!!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 10:44   #13

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
Following. I use a rebuilt Thomas oil-less direct-drive compressor, and have only a water seperator on the output side. But I only have 1 set of lungs, and they're worth preserving! A filter, even if it collects nothing, seems like a good idea. I'm also really interested in what everyone uses for an air-reservoir. I tried a 1-m length of heavy wall 4" PVC pipe with a cap on each end......at 110psi it blew apart, sending bits everywhere!!
As you appear to have learned experimentally air receivers can come apart quiet vigorously and produce dangerous shrapnel. About the cheapest way to get an air receiver is to use a butane/propane gas bottle.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 11:47   #14

Boat: Nor'Sea 27
Send a message via Skype™ to quartersplash

20 years ago I built a hooka for my bottom cleaning. Used a surplus dual diaphragm compressor from a dental office (they need clean air for their tools) and built a schedule 80 6 inch plastic pipe about 16 inches long. I drilled a small hole in it to add a bleeder pop off valve that was pressure adjustable. When the pressure was over what was needed to operate, it would open and drain until the pressure was back to allowable limits. They are cheap insurance, like less than $5... I also have an air line filter that collects water and any dirt and has a pet cock at the bottom to drain anything accumulated. Worked very well and had maybe $100 total in the setup...
quartersplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 14:34   #15

Thanks for the replies so far. I'll be using the standard (USA) Craftsman/Porter-Cable oiless pancake compressor that's ubiquitous at the big box stores.. I'm planning to clean the tank out well before u start using it for hooka, and installing a coalescing filter and perhaps a 5-10 micron filter downstream.

I know what works for an industrial 24/7 cycle setup, but am looking for cheaper options for a 2 hr per month setup at depths less than 8'.
BoatandBeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
DIY