Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Has your dinghy been stolen? Choose all that apply...
Fast dinghy: Never stolen in over 90 days of cruising 42 65.63%
Fast dinghy: Boat and/or motor stolen once 4 6.25%
Fast dinghy: Boat and/or motor stolen twice or more 2 3.13%
Displacement dinghy: Never stolen in over 90 days of cruising 16 25.00%
Displacement dinghy: Boat and/or motor stolen once or more 2 3.13%
Dinghy disabled due to theft of minor items (of fuel tank, oars, etc) 1 1.56%
Theft took place while dinghy was at the mothership 4 6.25%
Theft took place on shore or at a dinghy dock 6 9.38%
Theft took place while not cruising (boat on the hard, in a slip, etc) 2 3.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2023, 12:38   #46

Boat: Norseman 447
Re: Dinghy theft

In this particular case, you’re entirely wrong. There were 5 boats in an anchorage which had 50 boats the last time I visited. So the float wasn’t restricting anybody. In addition, if it was just a matter of the float getting in someone’s way, the could have just cut the line, rather than swimming down and disconnecting the shackle.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 12:40   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
In this particular case, you’re entirely wrong. There were 5 boats in an anchorage which had 50 boats the last time I visited. So the float wasn’t restricting anybody. In addition, if it was just a matter of the float getting in someone’s way, the could have just cut the line, rather than swimming down and disconnecting the shackle.
Probably came untied by itself. Bowline not under tension, especially under water, can come undone.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 13:28   #48

Boat: Norseman 447

Keep digging. It did not just come untied. It was a galvanized shackle and a spliced eye on 1/4” line. The shackle pin was secured with a Ty wrap. Somebody stole it.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 14:32   #49

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Clearly there are three major determinants of dinghy theft: location, engine size/quality, and theft deterrents. Also, with the exception of sailors who help themselves to others' dinghies to get out to their own boats, dinghies are indeed stolen for the outboards - and are often found later sans motor.

I spent 6 months in Venezuela in 1995. Many cruisers bought dinghies and 15hp outboards while staying there, including me. I am the only one I know that actually got out of Venezuela with a new 15hp engine - thefts were rampant. My "secret" was to store the engine down below before moving, and left the old 2hp Johnson on the pushpit. And ever since the dinghy comes out of the water every night, locked with chain to the boat. And in use I lock it to the dock with a long chain that allows the dinghy to be moved out of the way for others to use the dock.Theft deterrents are not a guarantee but they do make a huge difference. And although some places (Caribbean especially) are famous for dinghy thefts, and others are relatively much safer, I feel that not securing the dinghy is just asking for trouble anywhere.

Part of my security is to lock the chain to the engine, with a stainless rod that extends through the pivot on the outboard. The chain is then run through the handle on the fuel tank, locked to the dinghy, then run out for locking to a dock or tree. The little eye that is on the outboard's pivot is for a safety line to prevent the outboard sinking if dropped or otherwise lost overboard; this is not a useful attachment point for security purposes as at least on my motor it is held on by a large plastic nut, easily broken off. Nor is locking the toggles together very useful as again a tap with a hammer will break them, allowing the clamps to be undone. The locks that slide over the toggles are better, but in that case they can still be readily cut off with a hacksaw blade to the threaded portion (only buy stainless toggle locks - the coated ones will turn into a rusty mess surprisingly quickly). FWIW it is quite easy to buy replacement toggle screws and install them, so only a stupid thief would leave broken or cut ones on the motor.

"Lift it and lock it, or lose it."

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 15:35   #50

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Ah, damn. I have have to come clean too. When I was 21, I borrowed a dinghy. I heard that the people were going to be away for a couple weeks and I was going on a one week trip. I took their beautiful puffin rowing/sailing dinghy. No motor involved.

I used it for the week, and then I tied it back up where it was when I was done.

They never knew I took it for a week and returned it. At 21, with a $3000 boat, I couldn’t afford a dinghy. Still feel bad about it.
I remember my dad borrowing someone’s dingy when our infaltable punctured.
We went away for the weekend putting it back on Sunday. I guess know one knew. Well I was probably no more than 4 years old, but I remember it well.

We have only ever had a few times where teenagers are playing in the dingy, which to be honest - I really don’t mind even if it’s annoying that it’s half full of water - but not everyone is lucky enough to afford a boat.

I think the trick is to not have anything that looks too valuable if your prepared to leave it where ever you make land.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 15:39   #51
CLOD

Boat: none

day at the beach pretty much nowhere was a dinghy dragged way up the beach so they could lock it to a cabana.

I laughed pretty hard because they are going to have to drag it 50' to get back to water
Old 29-03-2023, 16:22   #52

Boat: Beneteau 49

A good place to look for the Carribean is CSSN, Carribean Safety and Security Net. safetyandsecuritynet.org
sterlinghuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 04:16   #53

Most everyone in the Caribbean cruising community knows someone who has suffered the theft of a dinghy and outboard motor. Even when you’re insured against such loss, the purchase of a replacement dinghy and motor can be a major headache in some parts of the Caribbean. Some happy-go-lucky folks just tie up to the dock and walk away, confident that since they’ve removed the motor-run key, nothing untoward will happen. We scrutinize our dinghy-docking locations very carefully for good lighting and plenty of passers-by; busy docks are usually safest.

Many yachters use steel cables to secure their dinghy to the “mother ship” overnight, or to the dinghy dock when shopping or touring ashore. Security tethers come in every size: from small-gauge vinyl-covered clothesline wire, to motorcycle mega-braid. Light-duty steel cables are easily defeated with bolt cutters or even a coarse-toothed utility knife. (We know of one individual who, having lost his key, simply sat at the dock sawing through his own steel cable with a serrated pocket multi-tool.) The very heaviest gauge braided motor-scooter cables are much too short to be of practical use for securing a dinghy to a dock.

Lynn and I have been cruising in Eastern Caribbean for more than 12 years. To secure our tender, we utilize a 10mm-diameter stainless-steel chain, some six metres in length, which extends forward from the locked outboard motor, through the handle of the fuel tank, then over the dinghy’s bow to the dock or to a stanchion on our yacht. This long chain loops over the bow and into the water. Its catenary weight holds the dinghy away from the dock, allowing boaters to push us out of the way easily to make space for themselves. A fabric anti-chafe sleeve (old fire hose is good for this) protects the Hypalon where the chain crosses over the dinghy’s bow.

When using a security chain, tying the rope dinghy painter to the dock is no longer necessary, freeing up more cleat room for everyone else. High-tensile G4 galvanized chain may be used for this purpose, but we prefer the smooth, clean non-marring properties of stainless steel. Eight-mm stainless chain, although not quite as impressive as the more formidable looking 10mm, will do nicely. Chains smaller than 8mm, in our view, are too easily cut.

The dock end of the chain is secured with a robust, U-shaped high-security bicycle lock with a programmable four-digit combination. We prefer a combination lock, as keys can be lost or forgotten. Our bike lock takes less space on a dock cleat than a rope painter, and the long, 20cm lock hasp can easily fit over a large dock timber if there aren’t any dock cleats at all. Modern U-style keyed bike locks available in the Caribbean now feature sophisticated, double side-ground keys. Our combo bike lock is impressively well made and we oil it regularly; it’s served us well for nine years.

How can such a large bike lock fit through the end of a chain? We have fastened a heavy stainless shackle onto each end of our dinghy chain. This allows the chain to accommodate the large 12mm-thick hasp of our heavy lock. We’ve chosen the largest stainless steel shackle whose pin just fits through each end of our chain. After tightly installing the shackle pins in a vice, using permanent thread-locking compound and a large wrench, the flat knobs on the pins were sawed off and the pin ends peened over with a hammer to frustrate any attempt at shackle removal.

Remember, thieves usually only really want your motor, so why not invest in a quality, well thought-out locking device to protect the outboard? The very weakest link in dinghy security can often be the outboard engine padlock. Padlocks are often not as strong as one would hope, and so-called “hardened” hasps have often been proven to be underperformers when attacked with simple tools. In saltwater use, padlocks will quickly rust and jam if not oiled regularly. Simply locking both outboard motor clamp handles together seems optimistic at best, especially if those clamp handles are plastic. We have purchased a heavy-gauge stainless steel tube with a high-security internal key lock inside the end cap. This steel tube completely covers both motor-clamp handles, affording excellent protection against outboard removal — and also becomes the strongest attachment point for the chain on the dinghy.

What about securing the dinghy end of our chain? Since padlocks can be the weakest point of any security tether, we’ve eliminated one lock. That large chain shackle allowed us to form a steel chain slip-noose or loop at one end, which then fits over the outboard motor’s steel locking cylinder. No padlock required!

Multi-strand, braided steel cables are often touted by those who have them as tougher to cut than chain, but we’re still confident that a 10-mm stainless chain is a great way to help keep our dinghy and outboard motor safe. We once met a new cruiser who had a thin security cable on his shiny new Yamaha 15. He said, “I don’t need chain; cable is good enough. Besides, have you ever had your outboard stolen?”
“No,” I smiled back, while pointing at our heavy chain!

We’ve now tethered our outboard’s fuel hose as well; someone twice tried to steal that, too! For the same reason, our dinghy is empty. No hand-operated bilge pumps, tube repair kits, air pumps, flashlights, sandals, or portable running lights; just a scoop bailer, heaving line and bug repellant. Young kids often like to climb in and out of beached or docked dinghies to play. Loose gear walks away!

We know that our integrated chain security system has already saved our dinghy from theft multiple times in the past twelve years of full-time cruising. Every sailor knows that replacing a stolen dinghy costs much more than time, money, and inconvenience, especially when you’re anchored out. Dinghy’s gone walkabout? How will you get to shore?
Our continuing motto is “Don’t be the low hanging fruit!”
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1680174805787.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	273497   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1680174809362.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	273498  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1680174813109.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	273500   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1680174816773.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	273501  

Attached Images

Ken Goodings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 04:46   #54

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Here we go! Some actual data. Right out of Florida, the “top state for boat thieves.” (I definitely don’t doubt that, I’ve been utterly ransacked down here).
To be fair, Chotu, Florida does have more boats registered than any other State. So it would stand to reason that more boats = more boat thefts.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 04:49   #55

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lex View Post
To be fair, Chotu, Florida does have more boats registered than any other State. So it would stand to reason that more boats = more boat thefts.

Bob
did you see the scale of the thefts of those Outboards that I posted? I don’t think you should be downplaying that in any way.

also take a look at the results of the poll in this thread.

It’s extremely common to have all of your stuff stolen. more so in Florida than anywhere else in the country.

I already knew that from first-hand experience, but that’s the proof. I posted it.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 05:10   #56

I agree, Chotu. A lot more boat thefts in Florida than in Wyoming.

Bob
Old 30-03-2023, 05:11   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
I agree, Chotu. A lot more boat thefts in Florida than in Wyoming.

Bob
Lots more in Florida than Washington and we have more registered boats than Florida
Old 30-03-2023, 05:12   #58
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=Chotu;3761248]did you see the scale of the thefts of those Outboards that I posted?

It’s extremely common to have all of your stuff stolen. more so in Florida than anywhere else in the country.

Guess you read the poll different than me. I see it as far people never had a theft issue. Somehow based on your thread history I am not surprised you have an issue.

In Florida my experience is mostly theft is between the liveaboard low life boats who just like in a run down trailer park have ongoing feuds with each other.

BTW - to the must always lock my dinghy up people, the rest of the dinghy owners using the dinghy dock HATE you!
Old 30-03-2023, 05:32   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Lots more in Florida than Washington and we have more registered boats than Florida
Not even close. Florida has almost 4 TIMES the number of boats than Washington.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ating-vessels/

Bob
Old 30-03-2023, 05:36   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Not even close. Florida has almost 4 TIMES the number of boats than Washington.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ating-vessels/

Bob
Sorry should have said boats not just registered boats . We have at least 5 unregistered for each current registered . Just a quick walk around any marina here shows that .
Florida just enforces the registratpart more
Fact still is we have less than 10% of the dingy theft that Florida does .
We have cold water .

Tags
dinghy