Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2022, 19:14   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51
Dinghy Suggestions- Your Choice

I have decided that the current dinghy will not work for my needs.
We currently have a Gig Harbour - 10' 6" feet long - i like the hard dinghy concept but this boat is not stable enough for our needs- SO currently looking at other options-- My davits can lift darn near anything and they then set the boat down onto our stern deck cradle- almost like what a trawler would have except this sets the dinghy athwartships on a stern deck that is about 4 feet above the water, where it is then strapped into the cradle.-- i would like to stay to 11 feet or smaller- 11 feet is pushing it. Stability is important, both in initial boarding and in getting back into from the water(snorkeling etc) would prefer not to have a huge engine- currently have a 3 1/2 hp Nissan and an 8 Hp mercury two stroke. Going to take a look at a Takacat tomorrow and have been looking at True Kit also. Any suggestions? Not interested in debating pros and cons, just would like to know what you use and why. Somebody had a metal boat that looked like a RIB but I have not been able to find it again. Thought i had it figured out with the Gig Harbour but this last launch and trip from the seawall turned into a real "here hold my beer and watch this moment" decided that for a hugely important part of our cruising this was not going to cut it. I have even considered a Portland Pudgy! It had a lot of good points. Have at it folks and give me your thoughts- thanks
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 19:43   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Dinghy Suggestions- Your Choice

Interesting stuff. What happened at the sea wall?

Gig Harbor is a rounded hull shape that prioritizes rowing/sailing performance and stability in waves over stability with an unbalanced load. It has a pointed bow rather than a pram-type bow transom. A transom bow would provide more stability and capacity. Jon boats are the opposite extreme and have great stability when stepping aboard but are terrible in waves.

With lightweight boats, ballast will help stability. A 50# weight secured in the bottom center of the boat would do wonders. I sometimes use a scuba tank or a couple of dumbbells.

Pudgy look carefully at the dimensions as they are small.
Old 24-04-2022, 20:48   #3

Boat: Island Packet 40

I have an 8' poly Boston Whaler type dingy which I have filled with styrofoam and decked in to make it unsinkable and less weight on the davits if I got pooped or forgit to take the plug out when it rained.

I went with this hull shape because it is extremely stable with good directional stability.

The extra weight of the decking in lets me step onto the side deck whilst boarding from the parent vessel and also sit on the side deck and swing my legs in to climb in from the water when beach launching.

I have also fitted large low pressure tires to the transom and steerable, telescoping smaller wheels on the bow to allow easier beaching.
Old 24-04-2022, 21:05   #4

Sounds like you want a RIB. Exactly why the are so popular.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 22:07   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I used a Livingston 8' which are mini catamarans. Easy for your davits and you can styep on any corner without swamping it. It will plane one with a 6hp or two light weight. Used $200-$400
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 02:25   #6

Boat: Bavaria 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I have an 8' poly Boston Whaler type dingy which I have filled with styrofoam and decked in to make it unsinkable and less weight on the davits if I got pooped or forgit to take the plug out when it rained.

I went with this hull shape because it is extremely stable with good directional stability.

The extra weight of the decking in lets me step onto the side deck whilst boarding from the parent vessel and also sit on the side deck and swing my legs in to climb in from the water when beach launching.

I have also fitted large low pressure tires to the transom and steerable, telescoping smaller wheels on the bow to allow easier beaching.
I´ve never seen a dinghy filled with styrofoam and I think it´s a really good idea. Do you have a picture of it or a link where explain how you can do it?

Thank you in advance.
Old 25-04-2022, 04:13   #7

Boat: Island Packet 40

Not a good image but the white stuff to either side of the small cockpit towards the bow is the top of the styrofoam which has not yet been decked over with plywood.

I just installed the cockpit parts of the deck then cut pieces of styrofoam to fill all the cavities.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20220406073239.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	443.1 KB
ID:	256592  
Old 25-04-2022, 04:56   #8

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

The size restriction will almost certainly force you to something with some kind of flotation tubes. Either a RIB, added flotation tubes on a hard dinghy of some form, etc. Most hard dinghies, skiffs, etc. just aren't stable enough until you're at 12+ feet (and weight carrying is an issue as well).

One possible exception would be something like a Dyer Dhow (only 9 feet), as they have a good reputation for stability and they carry a lot of weight for a small hard dinghy (650 lbs, IIRC, which is slightly more than our 12 foot aluminum skiff). So if you can find one to try out, that might be worth investigating. Much like the Gig Harbor, they're not meant to go fast, so no big engine needed. And there's a sail rig for them.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 05:29   #9

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

If you like the True Kit, look at a Saturn mini cat. They look similar to the True Kit, but half the price. From the pics on the TK website can't tell if the tubes have a skegs on them like the Saturn, but they are important for better tracking.

We have a 12' and find it is very stable. It also gets up on plane easily w/only a 5hp w/2 people and gear. With 4 people/more gear, your 8hp would be more appropriate.
There was a CF thread this year discussing takacats, etc. that was a good read.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 08:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
The size restriction will almost certainly force you to something with some kind of flotation tubes. Either a RIB, added flotation tubes on a hard dinghy of some form, etc. Most hard dinghies, skiffs, etc. just aren't stable enough until you're at 12+ feet (and weight carrying is an issue as well).

One possible exception would be something like a Dyer Dhow (only 9 feet), as they have a good reputation for stability and they carry a lot of weight for a small hard dinghy (650 lbs, IIRC, which is slightly more than our 12 foot aluminum skiff). So if you can find one to try out, that might be worth investigating. Much like the Gig Harbor, they're not meant to go fast, so no big engine needed. And there's a sail rig for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I used a Livingston 8' which are mini catamarans. Easy for your davits and you can styep on any corner without swamping it. It will plane one with a 6hp or two light weight. Used $200-$400

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 25-04-2022, 15:43   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Jim and I have always had large inflatables or a RIB. However, I think it depends a lot on how far afield you want to go, and what you will be asking the dinghy to do for you. Our present dinghy is 3.5 m (~11' 6") long, and 20" tubes. It is very stable. Planes easily with two and all the laundry, or dive gear, but we use a 15 hp o/b. Originally came with hypalon tubes, but the tubes for it were of South African lighter gauge fabric, and wore out quicker than we expected, and the dinghy has since been re-tubed with PVC fabric from west Germany. So far, 8 yrs on the PVC, and it seems good. It has been dressed in chaps from it's 2nd week with us.

I'd recommend a Rib, whatever length you will need for your needs. But I'd also recommend a little catamaran hard dinghy, if you like hard dinghies. Why not? stable, probably home buildable, too, if you like that kind of thing, long lasting, and not the flavor of the month, possibly less liable for theft, and you can putt-putt around with a small o/b, using less fuel, and probably saving money, too!

We found early on that it was fun for us, to have a fast capable dinghy, and it affects my view of the issue. We like to leave the mother boat in a safe anchorage and then explore in the dinghy. Sometimes we row it to listen to the bird life, and come back on a plane. But I think the people with slower dinghies may see more, and enjoy the new places at least as much..

Ann
Old 25-04-2022, 17:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Jim and I have always had large inflatables or a RIB. However, I think it depends a lot on how far afield you want to go, and what you will be asking the dinghy to do for you. Our present dinghy is 3.5 m (~11' 6") long, and 20" tubes. It is very stable. Planes easily with two and all the laundry, or dive gear, but we use a 15 hp o/b. Originally came with hypalon tubes, but the tubes for it were of South African lighter gauge fabric, and wore out quicker than we expected, and the dinghy has since been re-tubed with PVC fabric from west Germany. So far, 8 yrs on the PVC, and it seems good. It has been dressed in chaps from it's 2nd week with us.

I'd recommend a Rib, whatever length you will need for your needs. But I'd also recommend a little catamaran hard dinghy, if you like hard dinghies. Why not? stable, probably home buildable, too, if you like that kind of thing, long lasting, and not the flavor of the month, possibly less liable for theft, and you can putt-putt around with a small o/b, using less fuel, and probably saving money, too!

We found early on that it was fun for us, to have a fast capable dinghy, and it affects my view of the issue. We like to leave the mother boat in a safe anchorage and then explore in the dinghy. Sometimes we row it to listen to the bird life, and come back on a plane. But I think the people with slower dinghies may see more, and enjoy the new places at least as much..

Ann

Old 26-04-2022, 06:33   #13

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

At a boat show in Ft. Myers a few years ago we saw a fiberglass dinghy shaped like a RIB. It purportedly offered RIB performance without the worries of tubes deflating, etc. The dink was too heavy for our davits, so we didn’t pursue it further. Doesn’t sound like that would be an issue for you.
ScottandGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 07:12   #14

Boat: Casacde 36

I built a Danny Green designed Chameleon. Has the attributes you're looking for and have used it for 10 years in the PNW, Hawaii and Alaska.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 07:17   #15

Boat: Pursuit 3070 Sold / Cape Dory 28 FBT

Check out SV Delos. They have an aluminum dingy that looks like a RIB. Can't remember the name of it but looks almost indestructible.
endlesspursuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy