Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2022, 17:12   #46

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Re: Dinghy Suggestions- Your Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moana Bella View Post
We have recently bought a new Polycraft Tuffy and it's great.
We wanted it for similar reasons to yourself - diving and snorkelling. And hubby is a very large unit, and not that agile, so stability was important.

Super stable to get into and out of. Steps at the back for getting out of the water.
Pretty much indestructible and unsinkable and would float just as well upside down.
We have a 9.8hp Tohatsu outboard, and it gets up on the plane easily with 2 people inside, and does 18knts in flat water.
Haven't had it out in big waves yet, but its a fairly flat bottom, so I don't think it will be a problem. (within reason of course)
It weighs 107kg and is 3m x 1.5m. (Sorry, I don't do well with imperial measures.)
Goes up on the davits just fine - even if we leave the motor on.
They are made in Australia, and cost just over AUD$3k here. But of course freight overseas may be killer.
You can see them on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/RWKzWVx56BE
I'd love to see your davits. That's a pretty heavy rig.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 17:57   #47

Boat: Tartan 3800

45 replies and the OP has disappeared from the thread but made a dozen posts in other discussions.
Old 15-05-2022, 18:08   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

Got what I needed. Thanks.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 22:45   #49

Boat: In search mode

Show a little more respect for the CF'rs that took time to reply to your request and step up and close out the thread with stating what you got ...
VNCruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 07:13   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So I was unaware that I was somehow obligated to “close out “ a thread by updating everyone on my decision. If I have unwittingly offended some by doing so that was not my intention. I contribute on this forum when I feel that I can help someone or have some good information to impart. For me it is not a social circle etc. I am too busy refitting my boat to worry about internet decorum and having to reply in a particular way trying to keep everyone happy. If someone feels that I have not shown them “respect” on the internet when I have not attacked them in any way then I would respectfully suggest that they use the ignore button. I read and contribute to this forum for information not for socializing. Socializing I do in person with live people. 😀Life is too short to worry about internet trolling etc.
My boat my choice My life my choices. May not work for you if so do it differently in your world Last comment from me I have real things to do in the real world on a real boat. Thanks again for those who responded - gave me some good ideas
Old 16-05-2022, 07:20   #51

This is the first I've heard of this "rule". I wouldn't give this demand much weight, I'm not sure what gives VNCruzer the authority to make it.
Old 16-05-2022, 07:42   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for kind reply. I had just snapped off a bolt on the part I was working on (unintentionally of course) when I took a break and read that and just got a bit out of sorts. Incidentally for anyone interested I found a used Portland pudgy which i rebuilt and love. Also going to get a takacat 330 and take it along. I have room for both and will sell whichever doesn’t get any use. Fair winds and calm seas to all. Now back to the project.
Old 16-05-2022, 19:02   #53

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
So I was unaware that I was somehow obligated to “close out “ a thread by updating everyone on my decision. If I have unwittingly offended some by doing so that was not my intention. I contribute on this forum when I feel that I can help someone or have some good information to impart. For me it is not a social circle etc. I am too busy refitting my boat to worry about internet decorum and having to reply in a particular way trying to keep everyone happy. If someone feels that I have not shown them “respect” on the internet when I have not attacked them in any way then I would respectfully suggest that they use the ignore button. I read and contribute to this forum for information not for socializing.

The 45 individuals who cared enough to reply to your posts were neither bots nor trolls. They are people, and they shared their time and their expertise to answer your question in an effort to help out a fellow cruiser.

Quote:
Socializing I do in person with live people.

No, actually. You just asked a question of strangers and accepted valuable help in the form of information. Either you do now know the value of advice, or are choosing not to show an appropriate amount of gratitude.

Quote:
Life is too short to worry about internet trolling etc. My boat my choice My life my choices. May not work for you if so do it differently in your world Last comment from me I have real things to do in the real world on a real boat. Thanks again for those who responded - gave me some good ideas

Let's deconstruct this:
1. Veiled insult
2. Statement of independence
3. Denigration of the value of forum posts
4. Statement of thanks

That's weak sauce. The proper form of a heartfelt expression of thanks has been unchanged over the centuries:
1. Statement of thanks
2. Short summary of what you, the recipient, will do with the thing for which your thanks are being expressed (in this case, whether and how you are accepting the advice freely given)
3. Statement of thanks (reprise)

Here's hoping you're more fun in person than you are online. Fair winds
Old 16-05-2022, 19:11   #54

Man, there's some pretty touchy people on this forum, but this is a new level of grasping for something to be offended about.
Old 04-07-2022, 23:48   #55

Boat: Thunderbird 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
If you like the True Kit, look at a Saturn mini cat. They look similar to the True Kit, but half the price. From the pics on the TK website can't tell if the tubes have a skegs on them like the Saturn, but they are important for better tracking.

We have a 12' and find it is very stable. It also gets up on plane easily w/only a 5hp w/2 people and gear. With 4 people/more gear, your 8hp would be more appropriate.
There was a CF thread this year discussing takacats, etc. that was a good read.
Bill, How long have you had your saturn? How small does it pack, and how easy is to to stow? I have a pretty small boat, and I'm looking for something that I can keep in my lazarette when not in use.
noexit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 02:53   #56

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Yup rather than learning from others experiences they discount them to establish superior which always comes off stupid.
But who doesn’t like a discount.

The Navigator line impressed me. I’m concerned some accessories were made in Ukraine where Ukraine no longer exists.
The cup holder backholder could be a tearful arrival.
I bought a Zodiac but was a close second for a rolling floor. Great to stow away. Deflating them on board always a pain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C27D4165-C756-4382-9854-08C18AC24A6F.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	260544   Click image for larger version

Name:	6610A2DF-5AFD-48E1-B4BE-12B76CC6A77C.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	260545  

Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 09:20   #57