Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 20:14   #1

Boat: Spindrift 43 SV Falkor
Dinghy security

Planing my first crusing trip in a few months and this is one thing that I have been trying to figure out. When you take your dingy ashore do you lock it? What do you use, Do you lock it everywhere ? When you pull up on the empty beach and go for a walk do you pull the dingy up to a tree and lock it? What about dingy docks? Im sure my lil zodiac with a 3.5 hp isnt a theives first choice, It will keep me from swiming back to the boat.
Thanks

Brad
b-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 20:31   #2

Re: Dinghy security

Much, much easier to lock it all the time than to guess when it's OK not to. Only rarely do I find locations where I feel comfortable not locking it up.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 20:32   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day B-Rad,

The Arabs (I think) say "trust in Allah, but tie your camel to a tree". A similar line of reasoning goes with dinks. When in what we perceive as high risk areas, we lock the dink to something solid, and we use 3/16" HT chain. Commonly used life-line covered stainless wire is too easy to cut with tools that you can hide in your pants pockets.

This can be a pita, but (as we found out in Hobart a few years ago) to not lock up invites an expensive lesson in human behavior. A pity, but part of modern cruising. Actually, the Hiscocks had a dinghy pinched in Hobart a long time ago... I shoulda paid more attention to their writings!

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Towlers Bay, NSW, Oz
Old 01-03-2011, 20:44   #4

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

We use a Kryptonite Kryptoflex Cable 20 or 30`. It comes with crimped eyes at each end and we add a Sesamee combination lock at each end. One end gets locked to both motor mount screws (locked together so they can't be turned) and the other end gets locked to something ashore.

Yes someone with the right tools can compromise our security, but it will not be a crime of convenience. Hopefully they will pick lower-hanging fruit.

An open beach with no structure to lock up to near the water is a problem. I have no solution to that, If you're with another boat it would be good to lock multiple dinghies together on the beach.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 22:45   #5

I have found that a funky, dirty dink with a beat up looking motor seems go a long way towards security. My beat up hard dink with old Seagull didn't attract much attention.
foamcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 22:51   #6

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Yeah

nobody, nobody in their right mind would try to pinch a Seagull outboard.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 22:54   #7

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

The best advice is "don't get off the boat" so there isn't a risk of dinhy loss. There are tigers "out there" If there is a risk of dinghy loss, keep the dinghy in constant sight.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 22:57   #8

Ya, it was a constant source of frustration but mostly it worked and it stayed around, that and the El Toro hull I called a tender! It's gone, sold now I'll be on the look out for something similar for my next trip this spring.
Old 01-03-2011, 23:00   #9

The don't use it or keep watch over it school is kind of defating the purpose of a tender, I think
Old 02-03-2011, 00:32   #10

Boat: O'Day 37 Center Cockpit "Namaste"

Anchored many times at Clipper Cove in SF Bay, just under the Bay Bridge; would row to shore and take the bus into SF. On advice from the locals, would always lock my dink with heavy chain to a post, and also hide the oars. Nontheless, returned once to find my padlock snapped and the dink not as I'd left it. It seems that some youngsters wandered over to the beach and fancied a boatride. They had brought bolt cutters! Another boater had seen them heading out for their joyride and called SFPD Marine, which, fortunately, had a station there. No harm was done (other than one ruined padlock). The kids, not meaning any real harm, had only wanted to go out in a boat--who can blame them? Unfortunately, the prevaling wind nudged them out into the channel and without oars, no way back. SFPD returned the dink to the beach, and the kids to their parents, but I always paused on how 8 year olds thought ahead to bring bolt cutters.
lorenzo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:06   #11
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo123 View Post
Anchored many times at Clipper Cove in SF Bay, just under the Bay Bridge; would row to shore and take the bus into SF. On advice from the locals, would always lock my dink with heavy chain to a post, and also hide the oars. Nontheless, returned once to find my padlock snapped and the dink not as I'd left it. It seems that some youngsters wandered over to the beach and fancied a boatride. They had brought bolt cutters! Another boater had seen them heading out for their joyride and called SFPD Marine, which, fortunately, had a station there. No harm was done (other than one ruined padlock). The kids, not meaning any real harm, had only wanted to go out in a boat--who can blame them? Unfortunately, the prevaling wind nudged them out into the channel and without oars, no way back. SFPD returned the dink to the beach, and the kids to their parents, but I always paused on how 8 year olds thought ahead to bring bolt cutters.
hard to beleave any 8 year old could do this, maybe 12 years olds -What about some kind of tracking device that could be installed under the engine cover- anyone doing this?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:49   #12

Boat: Bollard Steel 40ft - Lady Kara
There was an idea I saw seemed to make sense. Those screw on bung hole covers. One in the transom. One in the front of the rear seat. When you leave the dinghy take both covers. If they want to take it they will definitely get wet feet before they get two feet of the shore. Smiles.
Coachbolt61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:12   #13
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachbolt61 View Post
There was an idea I saw seemed to make sense. Those screw on bung hole covers. One in the transom. One in the front of the rear seat. When you leave the dinghy take both covers. If they want to take it they will definitely get wet feet before they get two feet of the shore. Smiles.
thats only gonna work in a hard dink-most folks have inflatables
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:33   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

In Key West the dinghys stay in the water at the city dinghy dock, so the screw in plug won't work there either..

I subscribe to the POS (piece of ****) dinghy theory... Brand new dink and motor, I glued a few big patches over nonexistent leaks, sprayed the motor with flat gray primer after whacking it with a chain a bit. Stencil and spray painted my reg number in 6" tall letters down the side of the tube.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:59   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dinghy security

I use 20ft small SS chain and 2 padlocks... use one to make an eye through the D rings at the bow... the other end I wrap tightly round a cleat/bollard/tree... whatever.. and secure with other padlock... only takes a coupla minutes outa your day and can save you hours of frustration and possibly your boat if there's a dragging situation and your dinghys gone....
No deterrant to the Pro... but they're usually after the 'safe' targets at night swinging off your stern...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, security