Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2018, 09:57   #1

Dinghy Rubbing on Backstay

Sent out my chaps to be patched and reinforced a bit from where it is rubbed through from my backstay. Any thoughts on something to wrap on it to prevent further damage? Can't get the dinghy further away from it when cruising as it needs to be pulled tight to hold it from swinging around. At the dock just a piece of water pipe insulation works but won't last a minute under way.
I see better davits hold the dinghy away from the obstacles but I don't have the option right now of changing them.
Any thoughts, solutions, pictures?
Thank you!
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 10:29   #2

Re: Dinghy Rubbing on Backstay

It cant rest against the pulpit tubing? A piece of plastic pvc tubing over the backstay/turnbuckle? Picture?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 10:59   #3

Backstay is in the way....even some tubing around it would help but would need to be big to be good. Actually would need to be big to fit around the hardware! Might be the only solution. Sure wish there was a better one....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinghy Rub.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	168093  
Old 14-04-2018, 11:11   #4

Boat: Catalina 42

1 1/2” pvc pipe
Empty Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 11:24   #5

I think there are plenty of solutions.
-From the foam "float tubes" sold for swimming pools (there are ones that are 3.5" diameter too) Seized in place.
-Or a nicely leathered cover sewn in place , alone or over a foam tube.
-There are Plastic, Ss or Aluminum Turnbuckle Covers sold for side stays that would work, but not a lot different than a big PVC tube .
-Water tubing is sold in schedule 80 which is maybe 1/4" wall too.

https://www.go2marine.com/product/92...AaAkTiEALw_wcB
https://www.p2marine.com/forespar-1-...kaAv1uEALw_wcB
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/selde...0aAmgpEALw_wcB
https://www.ringside.com/turnbuckle-...0aAkftEALw_wcB

Old 14-04-2018, 12:17   #6

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Baggywrinkle
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 12:37   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

I think the PVC pipe is your best bet. Nice and smooth and will roll a bit as the dinghy moves laterally reducing friction too a bit.

A pool noodle is going to last a day or two then be toast. You don't want padding, you want protection.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 12:46   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, flyingriki,

I'm concerned that the fabric will have chafe problems, even if you use soft tubing, like tygon for chafe gear on the stay, although that's a good starting place. Don't make it snug, let it have air circulation. It might be better if you consider kevlar patches for the dinghy chaps, whatever area it actually was, the patch should be both longer and wider than the chafed area, two inches all ways. You can probably get the material either online, or from a sailmaker. If you have a sewing machine, sew them on, the stickum only lasts a short while when used on Sunbrella or WeatherMax.

Such things can be hand sewn, but it takes some practice to get your stitches even and straight.

You could also consider pvc cloth or leather for the chafe patches, and just plan to replace them annually, or when they need it.

Ann

On Edit: thinking more, you could even use sticky-backed plain sail cloth for the patches, cut 'em out, and clean the chaps with methylated spirits where you want to stick it down, and pop it on. Again, plan to replace, re-clean, and re-stick as needed.
Old 15-04-2018, 09:28   #9

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

So let’s think outside the box a bit. How about a photo of the dinghy up on the davits from bow or stern.

I’m thinking a. Minor extension or b. Different routing of you lift line/cable to draw the dinghy a few more inches away.
Old 15-04-2018, 09:33   #10

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46
pirate Re: Dinghy Rubbing on Backstay

FYI I would be more concerned about towing the dinghy with longer painter with dual attachments to the stern balanced it out and it will not dance but rather stay in your wake.
Ernie on the Mary Jane
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 09:34   #11

If you put a tube of some sort (plastic or foam) on the backstay, it looks as though it will put a point load on the dinghy and chafe anything on the dinghy.

You could try a piece of scrap ply between the two. Either lash it to the backstay or hang it from the dinghy. Like a fender board.
Uncle G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 10:09   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
Sent out my chaps to be patched and reinforced a bit from where it is rubbed through from my backstay. Any thoughts on something to wrap on it to prevent further damage? Can't get the dinghy further away from it when cruising as it needs to be pulled tight to hold it from swinging around. At the dock just a piece of water pipe insulation works but won't last a minute under way.
I see better davits hold the dinghy away from the obstacles but I don't have the option right now of changing them.
Any thoughts, solutions, pictures?
Thank you!
Can you get a piece of PVC pipe around the lower section of the backstay, sched. 20.Cut it and spread it. Probably not utopia but it might reduce abrasion.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 10:57   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
Backstay is in the way....even some tubing around it would help but would need to be big to be good. Actually would need to be big to fit around the hardware! Might be the only solution. Sure wish there was a better one....
Split/double backstay? How about a teak board fastened to the stays with features to tie the dink to?

Old 15-04-2018, 11:54   #14

Thanks ALL!
As pointed out, anything soft won't last. PVC piping could spread the load on the chaps a little but still rubs it pretty good. I'm thinking more like the extensions on the davits and a fender board looks like potentials. Only one backstay but may be able to rig up something across the davit supports to do the trick.
Thanks again!!
Old 15-04-2018, 17:24   #15

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Two longer stainless poles running @45 degrees from safety rail to the lifting points on the dingy floor. These could hold the dingy firmly 100mm out from the backstay. Then add padding just in case. ??

Or a clamp/holdout worked from the swim platform or the existing fittings on the yacht transom.

Or can you carry dingy vertically on a padded plank on the backstay?
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy