Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 17:28   #1

Boat: Seidelmann 37
Send a message via Skype™ to rjgmt1
Dinghy Replacement

10.4' inflatable is literally falling apart at the seams. Should I replace it with another inflatable or hard side? Pros and cons.
rjgmt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 17:31   #2

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55
Re: dinghy replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgmt1 View Post
10.4' inflatable is literally falling apart at the seams. Should I replace it with another inflatable or hard side? Pros and cons.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 17:50   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Are you going to row it? ....sail it? ......motor it? ......hang it on davits? ......carry it to the beach? ......land it on a rocky shore? ......lift it to the deck? .......stow it below? ......expect it to be a life/rescue boat? Tell us how you plan to use the dinghy and you'll receive a much better response.
Old 12-12-2012, 17:53   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
rjgmt1, Welcome aboard!

A little more info would help! Like where you intend to use it, the type of vessel you have/storage space?, are you a diver?, and so on.
Old 12-12-2012, 18:01   #5
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Your the one thats got to make the call. No one here will agree on much. Plus you gave no info at all as to how you use it. I like to go 20mph, so I spent $8000k. Achilles RIB and Nissan 20hp 4 stroke. Pretty sweet ride! Some people use a kayak, others a porta boat. I like to anchor and then go places miles away, wont find people with 3.5hp doing that.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 18:32   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Unlike RabidRabbit. AKA "Rapid"Rabbit, I'm good with a short range, slower, smaller and lighter outboard. I selected the Carribe 9L so I could empty it and put the outboard on deck with the light dinghy on my davits for offshore. The manner of use makes the choice.
Old 12-12-2012, 18:46   #7
cruiser

I have 3 outboards onboard, a 2010 merc 3.5hp 4 stroke , 1994 yamaha 2 stroke 10hp, and a 2010 Nissan 20hp 4 stroke. The older yamaha is the champ. Currently looking for 2 stroke 1990s yamahas, the 3.5 needs to go. 4 strokes seem a little better if they have 2 cylinders, bit easier to start. You can see im not big on rowing.
Old 12-12-2012, 19:10   #8

Boat: Franz Maas 37

I guess RR, you daysail rather than voyage. 3 outboards and a big RIB on a 32'er is some impressive committment. I'm needing a new ding for my 37'er and am going across the Pacific. A stowable roll-up with a weeny donk is the correct choice.
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 19:37   #9

Boat: csy 37
Re: Dinghy Replacement

i'm with you, auzzee. i've also got a 37 and just have room for a 3hp yammy 2 stroke. i've been using a watertender 9.4 hard dink (don't know if they sell them in oz) but i'm also thinking of buying a small roll-up as a 'spare'. this in florida/bahamas.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 19:42   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
I have 3 outboards onboard..................
This may be a great choice, but I'm curious how you manage with these on your 32' O'day. These probably account for the space required for all my wife's shoes, her accordian and assorted storage of holiday decorations. Are you sailing solo or do you have some magic storage plan?
Old 13-12-2012, 04:13   #11
cruiser

I'm not even sure what a daysail is? I'm a mechanic and have a thing for internal combustion engines. 10 yam on dink in davits, (very strong built myself 1/8" stainless), 3.5 on the rail, and the 20 is on transom drop bracket. I can do the swap via davits crane. Crossing to the bahamas in a month or so. I leave Burlington VT every Oct and manage to get back in May. I also carry a EU2000i, (never need, 4 85watt solar panels and windgen) its mounted out back in fiberglass cover ready to go. My Maxwell vert windlass and ground tackle are way overkill as well. Last summer I added 1000 lbs to keel, 10" length to compensate for last years pilot house. (tinted lexan, west system, plywood)
I like the old morgan OI's very much.
Old 13-12-2012, 05:21   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
............................. I leave Burlington VT every Oct and manage to get back in May...................
Keep watch for us,- "Aythya" on the transom,- we're on the same seasonal route. 'sounds like you're well set!

rjgmt1, come back with the answers for your dinghy expectations and we'll be sure to get back on track with your inquiry.
Old 13-12-2012, 15:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Are you going to row it? ....sail it? ......motor it? ......hang it on davits? ......carry it to the beach? ......land it on a rocky shore? ......lift it to the deck? .......stow it below? ......expect it to be a life/rescue boat? Tell us how you plan to use the dinghy and you'll receive a much better response.
Capt.

Re: 10.4 inflatable falling apart at the seams -
15 HP to push it;
Lift it on the arch, and stow the motor on retractable motor mount;
You never know about rocks, or snags of some kind.

Bob
Old 13-12-2012, 15:13   #14

Quote:
I'm not even sure what a daysail is? I'm a mechanic and have a thing for internal combustion engines. 10 yam on dink in davits, (very strong built myself 1/8" stainless), 3.5 on the rail, and the 20 is on transom drop bracket. I can do the swap via davits crane. Crossing to the bahamas in a month or so. I leave Burlington VT every Oct and manage to get back in May. I also carry a EU2000i, (never need, 4 85watt solar panels and windgen) its mounted out back in fiberglass cover ready to go. My Maxwell vert windlass and ground tackle are way overkill as well. Last summer I added 1000 lbs to keel, 10" length to compensate for last years pilot house. (tinted lexan, west system, plywood)
I like the old morgan OI's very much.
Rabid

I'm considering a wind generator. Any suggestions? How many batteries do you have? Thinking of going the Key West next winter.

Bob
Old 13-12-2012, 15:35   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
................Re: 10.4 inflatable falling apart at the seams -
15 HP to push it;
Lift it on the arch, and stow the motor on retractable motor mount;
You never know about rocks, or snags of some kind.

Bob
I've had a 15, but now a 5hp four-stroke. Other than that it appears we are doing much the same. I do leave my outboard on the dinghy at the davits when I'm inshore or on a short calm day, but I want something light that I can keep under control in any sea offshore. The hard bottom inflatable helps with the harsh objects on the bottom and I can still stay light without the double hull of the heavier RIB's with the Carribe 9L (L=light model). We are seasonal latitude cruisers form Maine to the Bahamas and provisioning and transporting folding bikes by dinghy.

Tags
dinghy